Medical Questions > Cancer > Lymphoma Forum

Neck lump - chances of Lymphoma ?

I'm a 36yo female. I noticed a lump on the right side of my neck, at about the chin line, about 3.5 months ago. The lump is actually on the far right side, close to the back of my neck. I happened to not be feeling great at the time - nothing terribly but lots of fatigue. I have young children, though, and wrote that off to the fatigue of raising children. But I had blood work done in April to discount anything (I suspected anemia). Blood work came back "normal" according to my doctor, but the report noted to instances of "high": hematocrit was 44.1 (normal 34-44) and EOS (Absolute) .5 (normal 0.0 - 0.4). I didn't really worry since I was told it was normal.

I also didn't point on the neck lumps at the time, since I figured it was due to a cold or something making me tired and it would dissipate.

But now it is July and there are two additional lumps, same area, directly beneath the largest one. All lumps are hard, non movable, don't hurt. Went back to the Doctor today. She said it could be from an infection or mono. I really don't think I have mono (my husband has no issues). She wanted me to take an antibiotic for a week, see if it makes a difference, and also had me do a repeat of the April blood work but also added in an LDH test.

Are the lumps I have, in that location, likely from an infection? And if not, is the LDH test about looking for the presence of lymphoma?

I was told to wait two weeks and if nothing changes the Doctor wanted me to see a surgeon for a biopsy.

Thank you for your feedback.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 10th, 2010
I agree with your doctor. If the lumps don't shrink down after taking your antibiotics, then it may be necessary to consider a lymph node biopsy.

While LDH levels can be helful in monitoring patients with known lymphoma, it is generally not very useful as a screening or diagnostic test for lymphoma.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied March 23rd, 2013
I am a 23 yr old female. I had a really bad cold a few months ago and it swelled up. The limp hasnt gone away. Its painless and I am going to get it checked out but should I beconcerned its lymphoma or am I overreacting? Thanks.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lymphoma , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.