Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Necessary precautions after a kidney transplant

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
User Profile
I am usha of age 30. I am INDIAN.i got kidney transplantation on 12th APRIL 2010.Kidney is placed on right side.now i got only one kidney. After getting CKD only i got hypertension.now i have no hypertension.now my seramcreatinine is 0.8 and B.P. is 120/80.Doctor told me now my kidney is working well.what are precautions i have to take now.when i can start work.when i can travel. what diet i have to take. when i can became pregnant.doctor told me not to become pregnant for 2 years.if i become pregnant after 2 year is there any risk.if i give birth to baby is there any risk for baby .i can give healthy baby or not.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied May 6th, 2010
Kidney Conditions Answer A11770
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know what precautions you may take after kidney transplantation.

Transplantation is a medical procedure where a new healthy organ such as the kidneys is placed in the human body or when a damaged organ is replaced with another healthy one such as a heart, liver, etc. There are medical conditions that may appear in individuals after transplantation and those are: 1. rejection of the transplant or 2. graft versus host reaction. Both appear as a result of the activity of the immune system. Because after the transplantation the human immune system is deliberately suppressed in order to prevent these reactions, individuals are at risk of developing bacterial or viral infections.

According to the data that you described, you had kidney transplantation. Because there is a possibility of rejection of the transplant individuals should stay several weeks at home. There is no need of additional changes in the diet. You may consider consulting with your doctor or with the surgeon that did the transplantation about the time when you may start working or traveling. Pregnancy itself may cause the appearance of increased body temperature which might need to be medically treated, so it is advisable to avoid pregnancy during the recommended time to prevent hypertension. Also the medications used after the transplantation may cause damage to the fetus.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor for further advice and information about post-transplantation recovery.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.