Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Naval drainage after umbilical hernia repair

I had adult umbilical hernia repaired on March 3rd, 2009. The surgeon used mesh, I think he said it was made of Gore-Tex®. Anyway my naval was very swollen when I changed the bandaging, for the first time, on the 8th.
I saw the surgeon again on the 14th. He drained my naval and referred to it as a hematoma. He said it was nothing to worry about and it would leak for 4 or 5 more days. The problem is that it is doing more than just leaking - it is completely filling up my navel and then draining after I apply some pressure on it or when the skin breaks on its own. When it does leak, I push all the fluid out like the doctor did. This happens almost daily. This has been going on for two weeks since the the doctor drained it for the first time and it is almost 3 weeks since I had the surgery (more then twice the length the surgeon said it would last for when I saw him on the 14th). It is not red and I haven't had a fever this entire time.
Because of the fact that there is more fluid build up then the doctor lead me to believe, should I be concerned? Can anyone explain what is going on? I will make an appointment to see my surgeon again but I like to get some opinions.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper bobfrombc
|

replied April 5th, 2009
Leakage
Hi Bob
Just going through the exact same senario with mine,just with a couple of weeks time difference with your op and hopefully you may get an answer.
Have seen in other posts though that now the wound has opened up to let the fluid out that infection can now re-enter the area (although it must have already been there in the first place to cause the fluid build up if I have read posts correctly)and may now cause a cycle of infection and leakage.
Going careful with mine bathing it in Savlon twice a day but Im still on antibiotics which finish in 3 days time.
As far as i can see and have read that if the infection doesnt clear up then the mesh may need to be removed.
Think this is a last resort though and wouldnt be done for some months though.
Keep the post up
Mark
|

replied June 30th, 2009
Umbilical Hernia Repair Complications
I had my repair 5 days ago. All was good for a little over 24 hours. Day 2 - I awoke early in the morning with an area 8" in diameter that is red and hot with fever. No discharge. I contacted the On-call physician the next morning who prescribed an antibiotic (Levaquin 750mg) and told me to contact my physician the next morning. Day 3 - I met with my doctor that morning. He changed the antibiotic to Augmentin (875mg) twice daily and said yes to infection. He also said my body could be having a reaction to the plastic mesh. I asked if it needed to be removed and he said my body would adjust to it. Day 4 - The infected area is increasing, not shrinking. I have another appointment with my physician tomorrow morning (Day 5). I am getting very concerned!!! Any advice?????
|

replied November 15th, 2009
umbilical hernia drainage
I had the procedure and mesh (this is the second surgery for same problem first one was 9 years ago without mesh). It has been 9 days since surgery. Went back to surgeon after 7 and he remove some of the staples and it began draining and has been leaking every since then. I am also on an antibiotic. I have a follow up appointment in two days. I too am concerned and getting very tired of changing dressings as they "fill up" rather fast.
|

replied July 11th, 2010
Post Umbilical Hernia fluid build up
I have been reading the post and i to suffer with the same fluid build up. I would flow out soaking my pants and top, three days ago i changed dressing then two hours later i had to be back at the Hospital as the fluid began to leak heavily from my dressing. This made a hole on my stomach for the fluid to escape and my doctor used sufrexal to close the opening. But my stomach started to grow in size i'm afraid that the fluid is building up under the skin. Is there anyone who has a simular problem and how did your doctor deal with it.
|

replied July 31st, 2010
umbilical hernia drainage problem
I had surgery for an umbilical hernia on July 7th. I am still filling gauze pads within three hours and nighttime is horrid. I have put nothing on the gauze as instructed and seeing the Dr every three days or so. He keeps saying it is getting better. when? should I have gone to the emergency room rather then the surgeon's I have a lot of discomfort at the sight.
|

replied October 13th, 2010
umbilical hernia post op
I had a hernia op 8 days ago and all was going well untill yesterday. I noticed my bellybutton has started to swell. By today, it has swollen so much that it has turned inside out. I now have an "outy" bellybutton and the surgeon says its a hematoma and will go soon. My bellybutton has now got so swollen that its getting sore and it keeps discharging a yellowish watery fluid.
Any ideas what to do please ?
|

replied December 29th, 2011
I had umbelical surgery 5 months ago, after surgery it got infected and had to go to the hospital to have it cut open and drained, since that has healed it still is leaking from my belly button, its been doing this ever since i had the surgery.I dont think its normal it shouldnt be leaking still, so I made an appointment with another dr. for a second oppinion.He set me up for a ct scan hopefully they find out whats goin on.Cause I sure am tired of it leaking.
|

replied June 11th, 2012
drainage from naval
I too had umbilical hernia repair with mesh on May 16 and still leaking. Last week the surgeon removed 29cc of fluid and I go back in three days to probably have more removed. I am on an antibiotic as well. I sometimes sock through my clothes even with a bandage (right now I am using heavy duty sanitary napkins). What I thought was a cyst in my naval (according to the surgeon) in the bottom of my naval because there is som much fluid build up underneath. After almost a month of this I am sick and tired of changing bandages several times a day.
|

replied July 15th, 2012
I had the hernia surgery 7-7-12. 7-14-12 it started leaking from my belly button. I can literally stand up & let it drain on a towel soaking it. last nite my bed was soaked. Called Doc & he said...., its normal & should go away in a day or two. This is scary!!!!!!!!
|

replied July 17th, 2012
I have had same problem. Dr attributes it to weight, gravity pullin down abdomin causing tear in belly button incision. I, too, am tired of changing the dressing every few hours. I use a maxi pad stuck to gauze and tape it on, the maxi pad wicks the fluid away from the skin so it doesn't just sit there becoming infected. I clean with spray saline, swab with betadine and apply generous amount of generic neosporin. The doctor is surprised it hasn't become infected, my surgery was June 6th and has been draining since the 10 th. what I'm doing must be working, the area is shrinking. I've been doing a lot of Internet research and there are bandages soaked with various solutions meant to expedite healing of open and /or draining wounds. Anyone have any experience with them? There is a whole section for wounds on healthykin.com and they seem to have the best prices. Any feedback would be great!
|

replied February 22nd, 2013
Umbilical Hernia
I had umbilical hernia surgery 2-1-13. I have had absolutely no draining whatsoever. With all the stories I am reading, I am beginning to feel my experience was not normal
|

replied February 22nd, 2013
I had umbilical hernia surgery 2-1-13. I have had absolutely no draining whatsoever. With all the stories I am reading, I am beginning to feel my experience was not normal
|

replied March 9th, 2013
I had umbilical surgery on January 8th with mesh and i have had nothing but infections and drainage. It is now March 9th, two months later and i am on my second round of antibiotics and another cat scan... i still have a big hole for drainage and changing the bandages is just a everyday part of my life now.... My doctor just says all is well and it will heal eventually....hows that for a follow up...
|

replied April 18th, 2013
umbical hernia repair
I had a hernia repair in feb 2013 and it didnt heal and was collecting fluid in the naval.one time there was excess skin comingout from my naval and when i went to the a and e at the hospital they said there was a heomatoma and blood clot,i had a diseance done and its now going 8 weeks i still have fluid coming out from my naval and the doc says its normal.i am worried because the doctors dont think its anything to worry.
|

replied August 11th, 2013
Draining umbilical harnia surgery
Hi, my father , had umbilical harnia surgery10 days ago , now suddenly he started draining liquid, if it's cause of infection, what shall we do ? meeting doc tomorrow on the same , any advice please
|

replied September 12th, 2013
umbilical hernia surgery infection
i had umbilical hernia op and and like many others had leakage from the wound about 10 - 12 days after surgery. About 6 days later developed infection. been on
antibiotics for 7 days but on 2 different types. Still getting dis charge. the surgeon where I live ( in remote area) is not the 1 who did the surgery, says it will take 2 to 3 weeks. Yea it's not much fun but seems like many people have the same type of problems
|

replied December 30th, 2013
Hernia - fluid leaking
horray its not just me then lol I had the operation just over 3 weeks ago now and mines still sore and weeping a yellow fluid. I was worried that the hernia operation hasnt solved the initial weeping smelly belly button but from what I have read, I'm hoping this is normal and it will heal and go away Smile ... i hope!

Went to my doctors 2 weeks after the op due to the
weeping and she said it was infected and gave my antibiotics.....finished them now and they dont seem to have done a thing x
|

replied January 17th, 2014
Umbilical Hernia
I had Umbilical hernia surgery on the 7th of Jan. Everything has been going well till today when the steri strip fell off. I noticed, on half of the incision redness, and a tiny bit of smelly drainage. I called the Dr. and made an appointment for Tuesday although I am hoping peroxide will help it heal.
|