Medical Questions > Mental Health > PTSD Forum

Nauseous and dizzy with flashbacks

Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
User Profile
I have been diagnosed with PTSD and acute dissociation, for 4 years i felt fine no meds except for anxiety meds prn. for 8 weeks now my world has been turned upside down i've lost my coping mechanisms due to a new horrific flaskback but this feels different, im feeling nauseous, dizzy and get tunnel vision unlike my other flashbacks that hit me out of nowhere i feel like i have some sort of warning now not sure if im thinking something thats triggering this. I've been fainting before during even after these events, my psychiatrist has told me this is nothing to do with ptsd i have no underlying problem and otherwise perfectly healthy, this new flashback has me trying to pry my attacker off my arm leaving me scared and bruised. even more recent i've been waken up by terrifying nightmares, my attacker standing over me with a knife telling me i warned you not to tell anyone about this and then he puts the blade to my neck and i can feel the blade i wake and in a cold sweat PTSD or NO?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 9th, 2011
PTSD Answer A20603
Hello.

Your current symptoms suggest a neurological deficit more than your PTSD as a cause. The nightmares can, however, be part of the PTSD. You may need to get the tunnel vision, dizziness and fainting episodes evaluated from a Neurologist. It may even be something you can take care of immediately such as hypovolemia or hypoglycemia, but getting a Neurologist's opinion appears important here. As a side note, nausea with tunnel vision and fainting can be seen in Migraine.

As far as the nightmares are concerned, you may consider adding medication for reducing anxiety and for improving sleep quality.

Hope this helps.

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD

(This post is for the purpose of providing medical information and is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a doctor. This post is not intended to give or rule out a diagnosis, create a doctor-patient relationship or replace an existing one. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please consult with your doctor or a qualified healthcare provider for diagnosis and treatment options)

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our PTSD , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.