Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Nausea, Transverse Colon Pain for 2 Months

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
I have been experiencing mild nausea and pain in what seems to be my transverse colon for over 2 months now. This pain is less when I sit completely still and worse when I move around. My internist sent me for an ultrasound that found a 7 mm polyp on the anterior wall of my gallbladder. She sent me to a gastroenterologist. The gastroenterologist said the polyp was not likely the cause of my symptoms. He said my symptoms were likely caused by constipation and that he had had patients with my symptoms who found that when they started going regularly their symptoms went away. I started using Miralax this past week and it has resulted in my going more often. But, my symptoms are actually worse. I feel more nausea and pain than before. Before, my pain has been confined to my right side. Now, it seems to extend all the way across my transverse colon. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing the problem? What tests do I need to have done? So far, I've only had the ultrasound. Would an X-ray be helpful in diagnosis? Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 13th, 2011
Hello, and thank you for your medical question on e Health Forum.

Since your ultrasound has not detected anything else than a GB polyp and your gastroenterologist considers this to be a benign issue, there is no need to repeat any more tests further.

Adopting a few lifestyle changes and use of symptomatic medications can be tried for a few days, to look for resolution.

You can take some pepto-Bismol for relief of your abdominal discomfort.

If the symptoms do not subside, then you can consult your gastroenterologist, and then he will guide you accordingly.

I hope this helps.

|

replied February 9th, 2012
I really think that the comment "there is no need to do further tests" is the most unprofessional answer!! Doctors are supposed to heal, not guess and assume. My fiance has been suffering from symptoms very similar to the person that wrote in looking for an answer. My fiance's symptoms are alot worse. I've watched her suffer for 5 long years because of doctors that are not thorough, and, because of lack of insurance and/or insurance restrictions. she still suffers as i write. My advice to the suffering person... Don't give up!! We,re not. you will find a doctor that's worth getting what he/she gets paid. Anyone with the truly pathetic responses like this quack are not reliable nor worthwhile. You're problem may be in the upper part of your small intestine or your transverse colon. These can not be examined with normal scopes, nor, are cat scans reliable due to the nature of the possible infected areas. A small camera pill that you swallow or an extended scope, with the ability to stretch the small intestine, are the most effective methods. next step is exploratory surgery. There are ways to find out... Docs just don't do them all. Do some research. You will find a real doctor... Good Luck!!
|

replied May 18th, 2011
Noone knows
OK, Lets try going through that for 3 years now. I have had nausea, pain severe abdominal bloating every single day for an entire 3 years now. I have been to 2 urologists thinking it was a kidney stone. Neurological surgeon b/c a chiro though it may be a nerve in my back. OBG b/c they thought it was female related. 3 gastroenterologists. I have had 4 ct scans, 2 mri,3ultrasounds,2 laparoscopies, a colonoscopy, upper endo, endo on my kidney, gall scan and hyda scan. The pain is so bad that it takes my breath away, sometimes makes me cry and almost drops me to my knees. It hits me multiple time of the day always in the same spot. Left abdomen just below my ribs.
|

replied April 8th, 2012
Help
I to have been having the same problem last month the doctor told me I had a kidney stone. Took the meds they gave and everything seem to be ok. Well just about 2 weeks ago I started having the pain in me left side right below my rib. I have tried all gas meds, bowel meds, tums; and nothing seems to work. I just came across your post I hope u read this and can tell me if u have finally found a solution to ur problem.
|

replied January 19th, 2013
try an iridologist they tell u exactly what u have and help you treat your problem.
|

replied June 2nd, 2012
Similar problems; possible solution
Recently I've been reading more and more about gluten intolerance. My similar problem increases when I consume food that contains gluten. It seems to be related to IBS, but not always. The written stuff seems to indicate that doctors have problems diagnosing. There's lots of stuff online about gluten intolerance.
|

replied June 2nd, 2012
Recently I've been reading more and more about gluten intolerance. My similar problem increases when I consume food that contains gluten. It seems to be related to IBS, but not always. The written stuff seems to indicate that doctors have problems diagnosing. There's lots of stuff online about gluten intolerance.
|

replied June 28th, 2012
compacted colon; pain
Nice that some of you here have health care. Some of us are consumers and are subsidizing those who are employed to get health care while many of us do not get it subsidized.

And so, I've had to become my own doctor. What a sad culture we have.

Look at the foods in your diet. Eating too much cheese or meat may cause this, and even if you eat a pound of candy licorice. You may need to also supplement with enzymes or consume more food that contain enzymes.
|

replied April 10th, 2013
You can cure yourself like I did. And it's easy. I had severe constipation and horrible gas pain for the last 10 years. My transverse colon seemed to muscle spasm which wouldn't allow the gas to pass. I sometimes experienced nausea and cramping. Then one day, I watched a movie called "Forks over Knives" (on Netflix). It changed my life. I adopted a whole food, plant based diet. My symptoms disappeared in a week! No more constipation and soon my blood pressure was normal off meds, my weight normalized losing 50 lbs and my asthma and allergies were greatly diminished. Not only that but my body just felt better, aches and pains were greatly reduced and I had a tremendous amount of energy that I never experienced before. If you think you could never give up animal based foods, you can. But you have to decide if it is worth it to you to feel better. I'm a southern girl and was raised on meat and grease. Everything I loved most was what I couldn't eat on my new lifestyle plan. But there are good alternatives and ways to fool yourself. Give it a try. It certainly can't HURT you!
|

replied September 3rd, 2013
Unlike a lot of you, I have been fighting diarrhea for the past 2 years. When it first started I was so sick with vomiting and diarrhea. At that time a ct scan was done and I was told my colon was inlammed. They didn't know why, but it was. Well, I kept telling my dr's that I was still having problems and finally someone heard me. He ordered a test and it showed that I had c-diff. Well, the dr ordered antibotics and probiotics for 7 months. The c-diff is finally gone, but I am having severe pain on my right side and under my right rib in the front. When the pain first started the Urologist thought it was my right kidney and ordered tests on my kidney. They came back normal. When I did a follow-up with my Gastric Bypass dr I mentioned to him about the pain I was having on the right side, so he has me scheduled for a colonoscopy later this week. When I go in, I will tell him that I am also having pain under my right rib, which has recently started since my visit to him. The dirrhea is not getting any better, if anything it is getting worse. My internal medicine dr was concerned about my thyroid levels being the cause. I have a degree in the Medical Field and I know enough about the human body, to know that something is really wrong with mine. I kept all my Anatomy Books from College, so I was able to pinpoint where my pain is coming from. Something is seriously wrong with my descending and transverse colon. What it is I'm not sure, but I will find out. My dr did tell me if he see's anything wrong he will do a biospy when he does the colonoscopy this week.
|

replied January 25th, 2014
II have been dealing with undiagnosed digestive issues for 3+ years (pain, inflammation, constipation etc) along with issues elsewhere in my body (reaccuring infections of various mucus tissue throughout my body, foggy "spacey feeling " persistant ear stuffiness w/no signs of infection, bladdersmall amounts with immediate urgency always feeling the urge to go) etc......
After all the negatives from docs i decided to do research on my own.
I came across Candidate fungal infection. Many symptoms Im having match up nearly perfectly like the spacey/foggy feeling caused by overgrowth of this fungus dying off & releasing toxins & overgrowth causing inflammation & excessive mucus stool just to name a few. Does anyone have info about this or experienced anything like this?
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.