My symptoms started about 5 months ago and they seem to be increasing in frequency. I have frequent nausea on an empty stomach and periods of vomiting sometimes. Sometimes I will wake up feeling that way and have difficulty swallowing food or brushing my teeth without gagging. Sometimes during the day I will begin to feel nausea and I feel hot with my face sometimes visably red. It seems to be the worst in the evening about 30 minutes after I exercise. This is sometimes accompanied by the feeling of needing to belch, belching, shakiness and/or loud digestive noises like I can hear my stomach emptying but much louder than hunger noises. My doctor was concerned about my blood sugar, so we tested that after fasting and my blood work (liver, kidney, cholesterol, etc.) all came back normal. My doctor has given me a prescription for priolsec to "try and see if things improve". I don't seem to have the other symptoms of acid reflux. I am hoping for a second opinion on this "diagnosis".Thanks!
All your symptoms are most probably due to gastritis and / or gastric reflux.
Gastritis pain occurs in the left upper portion of the abdomen and in the back. The pain seems to travel from the belly to the back. Other symptoms of gastritis include - Belching, Nausea and vomiting, Bloating, Feeling of fullness or burning in the upper part of the belly.
First and foremost, you need to avoid foods, smoking and stuff that worsen your symptoms. Foods that need to be avoided include -
1. Alcoholic beverages, caffeinated drinks, carbonated water, and deserts high in sugar and white flour
2. Foods prepared from white flour, like puddings, breads, bagels and pretzels also should be avoided.
3. Vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, all kinds of beans and legumes, full fat milk, onions and green peas should be avoided.
4. Nonvegetarian foods to be avoided include - cured meats and high fat meat products such as sausages, salami, ham, bacon, and cold cuts ;Red meats like beef, lamb, and venison - should be less in your meals
5. Seasonings such as onion, garlic, clove, and cinnamon may irritate your stomach lining and worsen the symptoms due to gastritis
Foods that can help to improve your symptoms include
1. fruits such as pears, oranges, sweet limes, watermelons, cantaloupes etc
2. MILK products like - yoghurt and cottage cheese
3. Non Vegetarian food products - include - lean cuts of meat, white meat from chicken and turkey, and seafoods
Other measures that can help you in addition to the above dietary measures include -
1. Walking or running thirty minutes regularly and achieving significant weight reduction.
2. Stress reduction
3. Learn to relax with breathing exercises like Yoga
In addition, since your doctor has already prescribed prilosec for you, you might try the same for a few weeks and you should see improvement in your symptoms.
"Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals.
For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our
medical experts page.
You may also visit our Acid Reflux , for moderated patient to patient support and information.
The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician.
Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.