Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

nausea after gallbladder surgery (Page 1)

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
Last August I started feeling very nauseated every time I ate. It eventually progressed to feeling nauseated all the time, and after having every test in the world done, it was determined that my gallbladder was functioning at only 1%. I was so relieved because I had finally found the problem and by getting my gallbladder removed, I was sure this would fix my nausea. By this time (December), I was starting to have the pain in my sternum, right under my chest, and it very much felt like I was having a heart attack. I would also feel so much pressure in that same area, and I was feeling short of breath. In December, which was five months ago, I had surgery to remove my gallbladder. My surgeon said that it was very diseased, no stones, but it had adhesions all over it and was stuck to the outer wall of my stomach. Now it is May and my nausea and pain has not gotten any better. I am nauseated almost on a daily basis and the pain in my sternum is always there, sometimes it is severe, sometimes it is mild. My question is, has anyone else had a similar experience to mine? Is anyone else suffering from ongoing nausea months following your surgery? Is this normal? The doctor says it is not, but I've talked to a few people who say it is normal for up to a year or more following gallbladder surgery. I would love to hear from anyone. I am desperate and don't know what to do. I can barely take care of my kids, I am becoming depressed, and I need to know if there is a light at the end of this tunnel. I can handle the pain, but I cannot handle the nausea. If anyone can help me out, I would really appreciate it! Thank you!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper dani85
|

replied May 28th, 2008
Texas Gal,

I, too, developed nausea in August. It got progressively worse in the following weeks. Around mid-october I started to get RUQ pain. I went to see my GP. My CAT scan and ultrasound were negative. I finally got a HIDA scan which proved very positive, no injection. Had my GB removed 24 hours later (1 NOV). The nausea continued after surgery. Although I am much better now, I still experience nausea a few times a week. I am also plagued with pain, alost daily. Back, hip RUQ, neck, head and groin. The pain has also slowing decreased in frequency and level, but progress is slow. I have had head, neck, back and hip MRIs plus chest and abdominal CAT scans, EKGs, abdominal ultrasound and extensive blood work. All came back negative. My doctors are at a loss. However, I did meet in passing one doctor who said nausea can last up to a year. Regarding the pain, only time, exercise and acupuncture seem to help. I do not think anything is "wrong" with me. Nonetheless, this effects the quality of my life. Happy to discuss with you further. All the best.
|

replied May 29th, 2008
It is so comforting to know that someone else is going through what I am going through! I am very sorry that you have had to go through this. I wonder why doctors seem to always be so stumped when I have talked to more and more people with this same problem after removing a dieased gall bladder? I don't know if you are a man or a woman, but if you are a woman, do you happen to notice if the nausea gets worse around your menstrual cycle? Mine does, and I didn't know if was correlated with the change of hormones. The doctors say that hormones during pregnancy can cause your gall bladder to go bad, but they say your menstrual cycle has nothing to do with it...seems a bit contradictory to me. Anyway, I am so glad you are feeling better...maybe there is an end to this for me, too. I understand what you mean about quality of life...nothing to me is worse than feeling nauseated. I, too, have had every test done imagineable and it seems I am as healthy as a horse, but I feel worse than I ever had in my life! Thanks so much for telling me your story.
|

replied May 29th, 2008
Texas Gal,

I am very pleased you read my story and it provided some comfort to you. I have read many such storys on the web. The comfort they provided me were very much supportive to my mental health. So, I wanted to give something back through my story. I am a male, so the homone issue was never a consideration. I feel for you regarding the nausea. I never know when my nausea will hit or how long it will last. It can stop me dead in my tracks. The good news is the nausea has been decreasing in duration and intensity. I am comfident that the nausea will eventually go away. I am not so sure about the pain. I have always have been fit and led a healthy life style. The silver lining here is that I have decided to kick it up a notch and really get fit as well as improve my nutrition. Let's keep a positive attitude that things will get better. This has taught me that health is precious and that I am not the "super man" I once thought I was. All the best, John
|

replied May 30th, 2008
It is so comforting to know that you believe your nausea will eventually go away. I'm still at the stage where I fear this is how I will feel for the rest of my life. It's funny how there is a preconceived notion that if you have gallbladder disease, you must be unhealthy and overweight. I, too, am a very healthy eater and thin and it drives me crazy wondering what I did to myself to have such a diseased organ in my body? Thanks, John, for your support, and good luck in the future with feeling great again!
|

replied March 18th, 2012
I realize this post is almost 4 years old - thinking back, when did your nausea finally stop? I had my gallbladder out 3 weeks ago and this is the 2nd bout of intense nausea - I thought the first one would be it so I am worried this will come and go my whole life. I am a 42 yr old female with otherwise excellent health.
|

replied April 27th, 2012
Have you been back to your doctor? Blood tests are teh best thing. Are you eating fatty foods a lot? Time does help with the post operative problems but if the nausea persists you really should go back to your doctor. I was in a very bad way with my stomach problems but fortunately didn't experience nausea after the operation. Eat small amounts of food several times a day rather than 3 large meals, don't let your stomach get empty as this can cause other problems such as stomach pain and nausea and also problems with the pancreas, and avoid indegistible foods like pasta, bread, milk, fried foods and acidic foods like tomatos, peppers and so on. Again, though if the problems persists, please go back to your doctor and ask for more blood tests.
|

replied May 23rd, 2012
Gallbladder removal 2 years later better but still a bit queasy
Had my gallbladder out 2 years ago and it took almost 2 years for me to feel less nausea. I was taking phenergin for 4-5 days a month and started to notice that my nausea coincided with my cycle. Here's my take on this: if hormones were the reason my gallbladder died, then something in the gallbladder handles hormones or is involved in that activity in some way. Eash month when my hormones kick in, the area where my gallbladder used to be gets sore and I am queasy and a little dizzy. I still use phenergin (6.25 mg) doses on and off to calm the queasy but less and less often now than at the beginning. My gastro suggested eating less dairy, never eating any "fake" sugars again, and eating a lowfat diet for the rest of my life. Try gas relief tablets because they absorb excess bile in your intestinal tract and calm it a bit. This has helped immensely but I will state that the queasy continues near the cycle time. Maybe this is just something that goes with it but to contradict the others on here....I am VERY HAPPY to have my gallbladder gone as I was in horrible pain and nauseous/diarrhea every day for over 6 months. This is SO MUCH better than that and you just need to learn to live with it by changing some things in your life a bit. Acupuncture does wonders and so does yoga.
|

replied August 29th, 2008
Hello
Hi John,
It's been a while since we last talked, and I was just wondering how you have been feeling the past couple of months? I know you said that your nausea was definitely decreasing in duration and intensity, and your pain level was also going down. Are things still good? Things with me improved for a while (almost two months with no nausea), then at the end of July I started feeling pretty sick again. It hasn't let up since. I've also started feeling dizzy on top of everything....have you experienced any of that? I've also pretty much started from scratch with a new doctor, one who is much more friendly and understanding (unlike my old one who told me what I was feeling was "nonsense"). Anyway, I just wanted to check in with you and see if you are feeling completely better. I hope so! Talk to you soon, Laura
|

replied September 16th, 2008
It's been 4 years almost 5 since I have had my gall bladder removed and I am still having problems sometimes I wish I never had the surgery, it is daily that I have nausea, mine is to the point that I have to lay down for at least 30 minutes until I feel better, my doctor told me it was all in my head. Maybe one day I will start to feel like my told self again
|

replied November 21st, 2008
Texas Gal
I too had my gallbladder removed last month and I am now experiencing the nausea also. It didn't start until a couple of days ago - I didn't have it this morning but now I have it again tonight. I don't feel like eating at all when I get this. I have also had a lot of trouble with constipation which most everyone else gets just the oposite. I don't get it - I have been back to the dr and she says that nothing is wrong. Had blood work and all again and even more utlrasounds. Still have pain in my abdomen and sometimes my chest just like I am having the gallbladder attacks again. I don't think having this thing removed is what it is all cracked up to be. I have some people that told me I would feel 100% better after it was removed but I have not at all. I feel terrible and I'm not used to being down. I am always so active and I don't have time for this. I too hope this goes away soon but from what I have been reading - it seems like a lot of people constantly have problems that last forever. This is driving me nuts. So don't feel alone - I too am experiencing the same thing. Just wish it would stop!
|

replied March 5th, 2009
Wow! As I was reading this last post, I felt like I had written it or something! My gall bladder was very diseased as well, and I had it removed February 9th, which was only a month ago, but I felt fine until a week ago. I got very sick at my stomach one nite and since then, I wake up nauseated and have occasionally nausea throughout the day. I have dizzy spells occasionally as well. Most of the time, I still feel as though my gall bladder is still there, because I don't feel any different as before! Still having heartburn and RUQ pain. It makes me sick to have people tell me that they feel better than they ever have before, but I don't feel much different! Hopefully it will get better, but I too have 2 small children and it's hard taking care of them when I am nauseated! I am also experiencing constipation as well. This may contribute to the nausea, since my bowels are not working on a daily basis. I just want to feel better than I've ever felt before like everyone is telling me!!
|

replied March 5th, 2009
same problem
i just had my gallbladder taken out 2 weeks ago. they ran all kinds of tests until they ran the hida scan and said it wasn't functioning correctly. at first i had the dull ache at my sternum area and severe nausea now the dull pain is gone but not the nausea. the nausea did go away for about 2 days and i thought i was better then i ate a real greasy fatty meal last night and today i have had severe nausea so severe i have been sticking my fingers down my throat trying to vomit but it doesn't help. i called my doctor and he mentioned maybe a stomach bug so he have me phenergan. i know i don't have a bug i have been like this for too long. i also don't understand how i got like this i am in great shape. But i hope this goes away soon i can't hardly take it. but maybe the fatty food caused it and hopefully i will be feeling better soon
|

replied April 1st, 2009
Wow!!!!! Same Here!!!!
Wow we are all in the same boat here!! Had mine out on Feb 3 and was fine until 3 weeks later and severe all day 24/7 nausea and upper right sided back pain!!!! Doctor ran blood work and upper ab sono but nothing poped up!!! He told me that I should try and wait another week os so to see if maybe I will get better if not he will have me get an ercp to look for stones blocking ducts. But he said he really doesn't want me to have to go through that procedure as its not fun and can have very bad complications!!! Great!!! So here I sit in constant dull pain and all day nausea ,trying to care for my kids and hubby!!! His been a real jerk!!!! he say's why is it everyone I talked to tell me that their wifes are fine after their gallbladders are removed!!! Why do you constantly complain!!!! BLA BLA BLA!!!!!!! So I don't know what to do now!!! Just tired of being sick!!! Wished I never had my gallbladder removed!!! I could deal with the attacks alot better then this crap!!!!!!
Liz
|

replied April 24th, 2009
Me too.
this is all so interesting. I had my gallbladder removed on March 28th and almost 4 weeks later i have severe nausea and it feels as though i'm having mild gallstone attacks. It's somewhat comforting to know that I'm not the only on but I still wish it would go away. I have a 22 month old and a 6 month old so...I guess all i can do with it is wait...

Does anyone know of what might help with dealing with the nausea?
|

replied April 25th, 2009
ohjungmi
Hang in there, 4 weeks your still recovering and your body and liver is still trying to adjust to your gallbladder removal. try watching your fat intake stay on lowfat for a few days and see if that helps!!!! My nausea is starting to get better daily!!! I'm at almost 12 weeks post op now and finally starting to feel somewhat better!!! just hang in there!!! pepto bismol or taking mylanta extra srength seem to help me!!! I really feel for you with the two lttle ones, I will pray for your speedy recovery!!!
|

replied April 25th, 2009
try this!!! prop yourself up on extra stomach and head pillows, that helped me finally get some sleep !!!
|

replied June 11th, 2009
gallbladder removal
I had mine removed 8 months ago and keep having attacks every two weeks. My doctors believes I may be producing too much bile and it is emptying in my stomach. So I was given a powder drink to take before meals. If you are taking medicines please check the side effects which may make your condition worse. I have nausau, bloating, pain under my right rib. I am having all kinds of test right now but I am so scared what they will find. I am eating chicken broth and crackers. My stomach does get worse during my menstral cycle or whenever I get a sickness even a cold. I feel depressed.
|

replied July 24th, 2009
I had mine 3.5 weeks ago and I feel worse than I did before the surgery. I have all of the stuff you all are talking about. I sure hope mine gets better sooner than your's seems to be doing it. My quality of life is down the toilet (sometimes literaly). Have made several appointments to see if something else is wrong. I hope you all feel better soon because I have all kinds of problems even before this, but now I wish I hadn't gotten it done (at least so far).
|

replied August 29th, 2009
Gall Bladder removal afteraffects
I had my gall bladder removed 5 weeks ago. Since then I have had huge bouts of nausea and shaky stomachs to the point I just have to stop and lay down. I care for my two special needs grandchildren and need to be fresh and alert for them but find it hard when I feel so badly. I am watching my diet, taking some meds, and trying to keep a good attitude (altho' in the midst of nausea, it's difficult). I had expected to feel wonderful after hearing from others who have had the surgery with great success, but it isn't yet in the cards for me. Some of you have given me hope that it will get better. Thanks!
|

replied August 29th, 2009
finally getting better
I am now 8 weeks post op and finally beginning to feel like I can try to advance my diet. Not waking up every single morning at about 5am because of my bowels. I ended up having a stitch abcess. I kept complaining that my wound was not healing and they kept telling me it is just the shirts I wear irritating my tissue. After about 3 weeks I had enough and went to the ER where they said my wounds were fine, but if I wanted them to they would have surgical look at them. They too said they looked fine, but I knew something was going on so I made them try to culture it. When they pinched the incision (only lapro) a stitch popped out and they proclaimed I had a stitch abcess and said it should be fine now. No antibiotics or anything. I went to my GI doc and he refilled the antibiotic I got from my PCP and said I may need them for a little while but it is finally healing. The hospital should have given me antibiotics especially since I had gotten 2 scripts from my PCP previously and each time while I was on them I felt better and when they ran out I began to get sick again. It seemed surgical was only interested in getting me out their hair and didn't care that I KNEW I was not right... Anyway, had salsbury steak and potatoes with non-fat cream soup and an ear of corn yesterday and felt fine. Even had a couple of cookies as a real test and didn't bother me. My right side still hurts as the day goes on, but I have to say I really feel that because I insisted there was something wrong until they found the stitch and got antibiotics rather than sitting back like surgical wanted me to I am finally feeling more like myself a little every day.
|

replied September 11th, 2009
I am almost 6 months post op and I don't have the RUQ pain very often but I seem to be either having diarrhea or am constipated. NO happy medium. I also still have a sense of fullness and heartburn off and on and sometimes I have noticed when I am hungry I feel like I am burping all the time. Blessed in WV
|

replied October 20th, 2009
Problems after gall bladder surgery
I just found this sight and am sorry for the suffering of these people post gall bladder surgery. I too had my gall bladder out in March of this year felt good for several months and the cycle started again. I've been back to the doctors had repeated test and all comes back normal. There are days the nausea is debilatating. I have pain in the sterum, around to my back and feel like I am having an attack of some sort. Its depressing because I don't feel like myself and just want my health and life back. I truly am sorry that others are suffering but its nice to know I am not crazy and others are having symptoms too. I wish you all well myself included.
|