Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Nausea after Bowel Moment (Page 1)

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
Hi,
I have had bowel problems my whole life. When I was a kid I was chronically constipated and it was not uncommon for me to go a week or more without having a bowel movement. When I had the urge to go, even though I was unable, I would become nauseated.

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 1990 and have had IBS since the early 1980s. Unlike my childhood days I now have diarrhea and there are times when I am very nauseous and dizzy after a bowel movement. I have asked my doctor about this and he told me he never heard of feeling sick after a bowel movement. I know my dad had bowel issues and that he too became sick on occasion.

Does anyone know why this happens? I have tried to find the reason for many years and still have no idea why I get sick.

Thanks for your support,
darberg.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper KW29745
|

User Profile
replied September 2nd, 2008
Experienced User
Do you vomit or are you feeling nauseous?
|
Users who thank illustriously fickle for this post: lynniegirl  lynniegirl 

replied September 3rd, 2008
Hi!
Darberg: This happens to me, too! Wow! Have you learned any more on this?
|

replied September 5th, 2008
Nausea after Bowel Movements
I don't vomit but I feel like I will pass out sometimes.

I am writing a book on self help for Fibromyalgia and have written mostly from experience, however, I am unable to answer this one question. I have dealt with nausea related bowel movements for more than 40 years and I knew I couldn't be the only person.

If anyone can answer my question I would be so grateful. I am sure it would help many IBS patients.

illustriously fickle and mgobluefan, thank you both for replying. I would have answered sooner but I just found your replies in my spam folder.

darberg Rolling Eyes
|

replied May 28th, 2013
I have a diabetes. i take pills for. Im so nauseated. when i take a bowel movment it does go away.well ive had people who with diabetes you get bowel blockage.whats odd is u can still have a BM but have old bowel. that needs to come out.The hospital drained maybe 3 lbs from me. but i go home it starts all over the nausea is unbearable ( no throwing up) so u must ask is it ur gall bladder or BBlockage.if u have no Gallbladder then its blockage.diabetics get it alot,also. people who are on methadone.this can lead to enema addiction.because u feel so nauseated an your bloated like u need to go take a BM. i know alot about this any Quest. id be happy to answer them
|

replied May 30th, 2013
I have a history of Fibro and IBS. I almost pass out too but I believe mine is caused by my vaginal prolapse or the rectocele/cystocele. I am not sure which is the cause and which is the effect; but there is a correlation between them. I haven't figured why I get nauseous yet (my son does too), I am suspicious that it has to do with blood pressure or blood sugar.
|

replied September 7th, 2008
Hang in there! Myself, I am going back to see the gastroenterologist in early October. This doc had diagnosed me with IBS in 2003 after he could find no other problems. Endoscopy and colonoscopy were done then, and endoscopy was done again late last year. I also had CT scans in January 2008 with no problems discovered. Stay tuned!
|
Users who thank mgobluefan for this post: lynniegirl 

replied June 16th, 2009
More about Malaise after a BM
In my case, I experience a wooziness and general malaise for an hour or two after each BM. Sometimes my gut actually feels as if it has gotten warmer. Been like this for decades, to varying extents. No one has been able to explain it, but my theories are as follows: Everyone knows that the colon is where moisture is normally drawn back out of what remains after the rest of the guts have done their work. After a BM, a new batch of material moves into the colon from the small intestine. This bolus of material may contain a bunch of stuff that did not get absorbed yet, to which one may be sensitive. If there are water-soluble toxins in the food or as byproducts of earlier stages of digestion, some portion of it will be absorbed there. The problem might be as simple as too much moisture being absorbed all at once and causing a mild electrolyte imbalance, or excessive salt in the diet reaching the bloodstream at this time to similar effect. I have heard that there is a condition called "leaky bowel syndrome", where it may even be possible for all kinds of insoluble stuff to leak into the bloodstream during this process, i.e., lipids, lipid-borne compounds, oligormerized proteins, extremely fine carbonaceous or inorganic particles, etc.. If one's food contains something that should not get into the bloodstream, whether due to allergy or generally speaking, this may be when it actually finds its way there. Also, there may be less than friendly bacteria cohabiting with all the friendly ones, and this may be when their toxins are absorbed. How to prove any of this or determine what might work as a treatment is beyond me. Checking lipid levels before and after a BM might be interesting. Running a GC on the blood plasma before and after might be interesting. Relatively methodical dietary alterations to isolate what I am allergic to have not really produced any useful data in my case. BTW, don't lend any credence to people who claim to have training but still suggest that this may be psychosomatic. Some people will say or write absolutely anything just for the sound it makes or to avoid admitting to not knowing an answer.
|

replied November 3rd, 2011
The colon is the only Selectively Permeable Membrane in the digestive system. Other than Chemicals that pass through cell tissue, the membrane only allows water to pass through, anything dissolved in it is prevented from passing through the membrane.

Cheers,
BuBu
|

replied March 25th, 2010
I too, have this issue.
After a bowel movement, I feel sick, nauceous, dizzy, hot, and like it's taken ALOT out of me...
Any more information or suggestions PLEASE offer!?!
|

replied April 23rd, 2010
nausea with bowel movement and chronic diarrhea
I have nausea BEFORE a bowel movement, and usually feel better after. I also have chronic diarrhea, and have to take Immodium every couple of days to keep it at least somewhat in check. My stomach growels, bloats, and I get excess gas. Also acid reflux. Really just miserable like I have stomach flu all the time. Occasionally get a very bad pain at the very top of my stomach (already been tested for gall bladder). Sometimes it feels like my food isn''t going down all the way-even mashed potatoes. Had a colonoscopy and was tested for things such as ulcers, diverticulitis, allergies to gluten, bacterial infections, crohn''s--pretty much all the standard stuff. They diagnosed me with IBS just because they didn''t find anything causing it. I have alot of muscle problems, but have never actually been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. Sure hope someone can figure this out-I''m tired of having the flu every day! I still worry about Crohn''s, as I have a cousin who died from it. My mother has Lupus, so autoimmune disorder is also in family history.
|

replied January 30th, 2011
Dizziness after bowel movement
For several years I have periodically had dizziness, nausea, muscle weakness and exhaustion after a bowel movement. Sometime to the point where I will have to go home and lay down for the rest of the day. Of course the doctors I have seen have never heard of such a thing, nor can they explain it. So of course I have to do the research myself. No answers yet. But I'm wondering if it might be an issue with electrolytes - along the lines of what "Thimk" mentioned.
|

replied March 10th, 2011
I get this too. I'm not sure what the cause is but it is really getting old. I have a bowel movement once every three or so days on average - and feel like crap for hours afterwards. I feel like my intestines have been emptied dramatically and then they start griping and I get nauseous. I have an urge to eat continually to alleviate the problem.

Mine seemed to start when I developed Coeliac disease and I thought it was just one of the symptoms. However the problem hasn't resolved on a gluten free diet whereas all my other symptoms have.

So maybe it is an unrelated problem. Or possible the problem was triggered by me developing coeliac disease. Coeliacs do tend to develop other health problems as a result of the damage done by the disease.
|

replied March 11th, 2011
yucky feeling
I try to eat healthy things, but man, the way I feel after a bowel movement puts me in bed. I've got terrible nausea and feel like if I drink a cold, carbonated drink it will calm down the feeling. I also lose energy as I feel so bad. Drinking a cold coke used to help more, but now the feeling lingers longer. I do think hot minty teas, especially echinacia tea helps. Have had a colonoscopy in the past, but am going in for another one soon. Was married to a doc and he had no clue (about anything)! Maybe the gall bladder is something to look into? Mostly I want to throw up!
|

replied May 30th, 2013
What about a drop in your blood pressure or sugar? That would explain why the pop helps.
|

replied March 12th, 2011
Abnormal feeling before a BM
I have this feeling before a BM , I start to get really warm, dizzy and nauseous and almost black out. It does not happen every time I have a BM, about once a month. A few weeks ago I went into the ER with an awful pain in my upper abdomen similar to what dewi described they looked at me for two mins ruled out me being pregnant and said it was gastritis ( after a 5 hour wait!) I was curious if the nausea and dizziness was normal and if I should worry about it, but it sounds like even if it is abnormal nobody has a clue anyway!

Thank you everyone for sharing your stories!
|

replied April 29th, 2011
IBS
I have something similar to this, not full blown nausea but a mild queasy feeling. One stunning thing I have notices is that when I am on anti-biotics for other things - infections, infected sinuses etc. This feeling completely goes away!
|
Users who thank PBw123 for this post: lynniegirl 

replied July 17th, 2011
I'm sick of being sick with IBS-Diaheria-vomiting etc.
My problem is so bad,that I have frequent bowl movements. Sittin on the potty with diaheria and throwing up in a trash can at the same time. My heart starts racing and I break out in a sweat. My body gets the shakes and I feel so weak that I almost black out to the point of fainting! My body diagest food way too fast! Every time I eat, I have to wait about 15 to 20 min before leaving the house because I have to go to the bathroom. Sometimes I can't even eat because of the pain in my stomach or certain smells of food. However, I finally found a fantastic Doctor in Gastonia, NC! His name is Dr. Sam Drake! This man saved my life!!!! After 2 years of going to 100's of different Doctors and alot of weight loss latter! Dr. Drake ran his test and put me
on meds. Also told me what NOT to eat or drink for this problem (IBS). I used to weigh 130lbs! My problem got so bad that my weight dropped down to 98lbs. I found out that MOST women are lactose intollerate!(97%to98%).
That's a shocking #. Also anyfood that is green, also gives you a problem with IBS. I take 1 perscription Zegrid at 8:00pm before bedtime to reduce the over night acid buildup.(NOT the over counter junk)! It's NOT the same. First thing in the morning I take 3 Entocort pills at the same time. This has helped me alot. From my experience only, drinking coffee makes it worse. Try drinking none carbonated drinks. One thing funny about just plain water (for Me) is that when I drink alot of it, it makes my nausia worse. I guess like when you use cooking grease and if you drop water in it, it boils over. This is just MY opinion. I'm a #1 fan of drinking lots of water,but I had to switch to gatoraide. I hope this little bit of info can help someone. O by the way! If you are constipated alot, walk alot. The more you walk, the faster you diagest food.
|

replied August 19th, 2011
Hello Friends,
im writing to you people as i just had a bowel movement 25 mints ago...after BW i felt nausea, excess tiredness and low b.p...stool was quiet normal enough but i had the feelings that a if i has a diaheara either or i lost blood out of my body...plz help me in this regard
|

replied September 10th, 2011
Hi Nido539. Is this a fairly new problem for you? I've had it for a long time now and I'm mworking on some theories. Like you, even when the stool seems normal, it feels like I had diarrhea and energy is zapped and I need to lie down for a few hours.

We can all help each other get to the bottom of this.

Did you have a high temperature flu in the several months before you started getting tired after bowel movements? Just asking.

Anyone else have a high fever from some kind of virus for some days in the months before the post-bowel-movement fatigue and achiness started? How about in the year before. Thanks for any answers yes or no.
|

replied September 25th, 2011
i am so tired of being nauseated every morning, I feel like i need a bowel movement. but dont get the pushing urge i have hemmroids.alsoI have to take enema's to get some relief of nausea.bloating ,abdominal pain,acid reflex. after eating a at 5 pm. im sitting here writing this now.I get so nauseated i cant stand it any more. feels like something is blocking my bowels. like bowel blockage. but it not i have thin stools somedays.a few days normal. then just small round.never diarehha.im 53. my mom had colon cancer.my appendix r out.but i do know i have fizzures on my hemmroids. i am goin to Dr i cant live like this.but if u have anything to share please do. does Fibromyaligia do this?IBS isnt that diarehha? i get tired. i cant do this anymore.
|

replied November 1st, 2011
problems
I have ibs.
Before a bowel about once or twice a month. I get dizzy, feel like I will pass out, tummy hurts, I feel like I will throw up, I sweat so bad I have to use a towel to get it off and another problem I have is that my scalp burns while in going. I also have to breath heavy. Doc is doing a cat scan hopfully next week. But this started a few months ago. any ideas or anyone else having this same problem.
|

I have ibs.
Before a bowel about once or twice a month. I get dizzy, feel like I will pass out, tummy hurts, I feel like I will throw up, I sweat so bad I have to use a towel to get it off and another problem I have is that my scalp burns while in going. I also have to breath heavy. Doc is doing a cat scan hopfully next week. But this started a few months ago. any ideas or anyone else having this same problem.
|

I have ibs.
|

replied November 2nd, 2011
Fainting after bm
I have the same symptoms, nausea before a bm and dizziness and fainting after. Mine has been diagnosed as vasulvagul syncope, look it up. Unfortunately, none of my doctors have come up with a remedy. If anyone hears anything, please let me know as i am like the rest of you getting sick of being sick.

Rts
|

replied November 2nd, 2011
aleasha
How did the docs figure out thatt you had they? And how offten does it happen to you?
|

replied November 3rd, 2011
Wiki has a good dissertation on vasulvagul syncope.

After reading it, I would see a Neurologist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasovagal_res ponse
|
12 >>