Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Yeast Infection Forum

Natural remedies for thrush...

Must Read
Yeast infection and candida albicans basics - we review causes and risk factors. Start learning how to fight yeast infections by clicking here....
Yeast infections affect warm, moist parts of the body. Learn the signs and symptoms of yeast infections as they appear on the skin, oral and genital areas....
... old wives tales, or did they work for you?

I have read a few natural remedies, and would be interested to know, you find them useful, make no difference, or have an adverse effect for you?

(Just to clarify, I mean more herbal type stuffs, not homeopathy or reiki or acupuncture or................ I believe that herbal / natural remedies can work well for some cases but I do not believe so much in those other kinds of stuffs, no offence intended to anyone. Just, I can understand scientific evidence for herbal remedies.)

Garlic - I have heard of eating garlic can be good for banishing yeast infection? Did anyone find this good? How many cloves per day? Can odorless garlic tablets like from a pharmacy have good effect or is it just raw garlic cloves only? Did anyone find putting garlic clove inside the vagina was helpful?

Apple cider vinegar - I heard maybe drinking this is good, is that so? How much and how often? Some people also seem to experience good response from baths with a couple of cups apple cider vinegar? But I also heard it can be bad for yeast, conversely, as cleans too much bacteria from the area? What are your experiences?

Anything other 'natural' remedy that was good or bad for you?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 14th, 2011
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
Natural remedies do not work always. If you are having recurrent yeast infections, go ahead with visiting your gynecologist for thorough evaluation to look for the cause. Rule out chances of diabetes, vaginal pH changes, hormonal derangements, re-infection etc. Get started on suitable treatment and take the complete course of medications prescribed. If you are sexually active, get your partner also treated simultaneously to prevent re-infection. Drink plenty of water. Maintain healthy diet. Avoid vaginal douching, use of harsh soap or perfumes in the area. Use loose cotton undergarments and avoid tight fitting clothes. Avoid accumulation of sweat and moisture in the area for long period of time. Keep the area dry and clean.
Take care.

|

replied September 14th, 2011
Garlic is an important antioxidant and helps to fight vaginal infection. You can mix raw garlic in your meal and have them. I think that's easier and more effective than the other options you mentioned.

Apple cider vinegar is my favorite remedy. On an empty stomach, you can drink a tablespoon in the morning with a bit of water. Also, ...if you take a bleach free tampon and dip it in Apple cider vinegar and insert it every night for about 4 days or until the yeast is gone, that will work. It will burn on the first day and it may seem like the problem is getting worse. But after day 2, the yeast will be gone.

If you are on the Pill or antbiotics, OR if you eat too many starchy foods and sugar, this could be what is causing the yeast.

Drink plenty of water. If you have a juicer or blender make green veggie juice too. That will help cleanse your body and build up your immune system. Also consider taking probiotics and a good multivitamin.
|

replied January 26th, 2012
Yoghurt is meant to be good for thrush. I got a natural remedy on line by mama nature. I think it was candida or some other name. It was so good i eventually threw half the bottle away because my thrush went away.
|

User Profile
replied July 13th, 2013
I find that yogurt doesn't clear thrush but it does help to sooth the itching I found the putting a raw garlic clove into my vagina and leaving it over night combined with yogurt to sooth the itching helped alot
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Yeast Infection , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.