Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Natural fusion vs surgery ?

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
User Profile
Does anyone know what would happen if a person has a ruptured disc and has degenerative disc disease as well and does not have the fusion?. I know that eventually it will all leak out but what happens with a natural fusion? The bone on bone...Will there still be pain? Will I develop arthritis and or bone spurs? By then it will be too late. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile bastionv
|

replied March 6th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
hi
i dont have experience with this but one concern would be stability. you wouldnt want the vertebrae getting out of align....pete
|

User Profile
replied March 6th, 2010
Experienced User
No, I wouldn't want that. I guess no matter what I do, I am always going to have some sort of issue with my back. Now, if insurance would hurry up and approve the surgery, I can get this overwith or until the disc above it goes out.. Thanks Pete!
|

User Profile
replied March 6th, 2010
i am 34 and i have had lumbar laminectomy with fusion at L4/5 with allograft bone (cadaver bones) in november 2006 and spinal fluid leak repair (from the surgery) in december 2006. i have a LOT less problems than i did before i had the surgery. prior to the surgery i had a lot of pain radiating in my legs. it was so bad at times that i would have to come home and sit with heating pads under my legs...now i have localized pain and occasional leg pains if i stand or walk too much but i am definately glad that i had the surgery. i have a few co-workers that have had the same surgery and don't have any problems. my injury was severe and i had 2 surgeries so i think that's why mine is still hurting and theirs isn't. anyways, i hope my story helped and good luck!
|

User Profile
replied March 7th, 2010
Experienced User
Thanks Fran & princesskari418!

I wasnt trying to avoid the surgery, I was trying to figure out what would happen if I didnt get the approval and a natural fusion occured.

Fran,

Thanks..what you said does help. I could see how it would heal wherever it wants so like you said.. that can't be good. As far as getting different opinions. The surgeon who would be the one operating is a Third Opinion. I have seen 2 orthopedics and 1 Neuro and they all told me the same thing. This doctor that I am seeing now is The best and I have heard from my Chiropractor, Pysical therapists and my GP that if I were going to get an operation, he is the one I should see.

I asked my insurance company if I should have the other Doctors to send a letter stating that they recommend the same thing and she said it would not help. It only matters from that particular doctor. They are reviewing my appeal and stated that they would research the issue. Another doctor from the same Office got a case manger on the issue and he is taking steps to assure that the insurance gets the information they need. When they denied it through the doctor, the letter stated: you have degenerative disc disease, it it not medically necessary to have a fusion performed. I wonder if they even read the report. If they deny it again, I will send the discogram & CT report again and circle the obvious for them. I dont think the medical reviewer knows much about the spine in the first place. I hear that this particular insurance company does this the first time around. I have two more appeals so I will hit them with all the information I can get the second time around.

Thanks for the advice! It will happen, I just need to be patient and try to keep my cool. I can file civil action and that is what I will do if my second appeal gets denied..
|

User Profile
replied March 19th, 2010
get em!!! definately fight to get your procedure done...i work with insurance companies (i help sue them) on a daily basis and they are a pain in the butt to work with! i wish you luck and hope it all works out!
|

User Profile
replied March 19th, 2010
get em!!! definately fight to get your procedure done...i work with insurance companies (i help sue them) on a daily basis and they are a pain in the butt to work with! i wish you luck and hope it all works out!
|

User Profile
replied March 19th, 2010
sorry that posted twice!
|

User Profile
replied March 21st, 2010
Experienced User
Thanks princesskari418, The surgery still does not meet the criteria for that insurance company and said they dont have documentaion that proves I have exhausted conservative methods so Im gathering all that up to mail it to them..
|

replied March 21st, 2010
Experienced User
I am still trying to get that answer myself about the surgery vs natural fusion. I think in some cases it works and others it does not. I was told long ago that I needed a fusion butm one Dr sent my records to some DR. out of state to get their opinion & he came back and said no surgery advised, I remember being mad at the time. I thanked him in my prayers years later. I went through a year and a half of hell and then I turned my back on all Drs. I got stronger by my life in general. I feel in my case, I did alot of good waiting. Now, with new stuff going on I figure I bought myself some good years. I don't think I can do that again this time. I had met an old man that had a fusion and every 5 years he had to have another surgery. But, most work and that's why we don't hear from them often. They are back to living life and forgot all about us.LOL I'd do the same thing if I was having too much fun. I'd try to help if I had the time.
Let me know what you find out. Good luck.
bamm
|

User Profile
replied March 22nd, 2010
Experienced User
I just sent you a Private message but if they deny me again with the new documentation of conservative methods tried first then Im not going to worry myself to death with it...I will get on the inflammation pills and try to distract myself through my friends..Gonna live it up, laugh and try to enjoy myself the best I can..Getting these lidoderm patches filled finally. We shall see!
|

replied March 27th, 2010
Experienced User
I am so glad to hear that your getting the anti-inflamatory meds and that you finally got Lidoderm patches. That should help you alot. I'll tell you more later. Gonna try to get a nap. I sent you a private message too.
Warm Wishes,
bamm
|