Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acid Reflux Forum

natural cures for acid reflux

Must Read
Flu basics - what is the flu? Get started here to learn how to protect yourself....
Who is at risk of developing flu related complications? Can people die from the flu? More on risk factors here....
We answer your questions on flu symptoms here. How are cold and flu symptoms different? When should you seek medical help for flu? Plus more....
hello all, so far i have found that apples and licorice are great natural cures for acid reflux, i have tried apple juice but it dosent work as well,. i have also heard that celery is another good one, has anyone else got any good foods that help reduce reflux related problems ?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 10th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
What's the cause of your acid reflux problem?
Along with eating plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables the diet should contain good amounts of whole grains and good lean meat in it as well. Both of these kinds of foods are ideal for helping to main a healthy digestive system and keeping the level of acid in your stomach balanced properly.
|

replied April 21st, 2008
Advice
I did answer this in a similar thread, but in case you don't see it;

Try acidic fruits like lemons and watermellons, some grapefruit, oranges, and similar. They will cause your body to change its digestive fluids to a more alkaline 'recipe'.

You should take care when combining foods. Your body will have trouble digesting (for example) a meat dish, followed by a fruit salad desert. The substances that digest those foods are different and your stomach will have to try to take in one before switching over and tackling the other.

Not only will your body have to work harder, but you end up with stomach and digestive problems. Foods fermenting and curdling in your stomach are also problems..

Just pay some attention to what you're eating and if you want fruit after you meat, give it some time before moving through your courses.
|

replied April 24th, 2008
Acid reflux
I was diagnosed as having a hiatus hernia a few years ago after suffering from acid reflux and prescribed gaviscon. I gave up eating wheat for other reasons and have not had a problem with acid reflux ever since.
|

replied May 9th, 2008
The three food groups that cause the most irritation are meat, dairy and wheat. Usually wheat gluten is the culprit.
Also chewing foods thoroughly before swallowing and not eating to excess will help calm the acid reflux monster. And if you still feel the burning after you eat, chew 6-10 raw almonds slowly and it will neutralize the acid better than any antacid out there.
|

replied May 14th, 2008
hello
i have suffered from acid reflux for more than 10 years now , it runs in our family and is something i have almost mastered. I have been off of my meds for about the last year or so only going back a few occasions, i have found either papya enzymes help or transfer factors. they both have helped me greately i sitll have to watch what i eat and how many pops i consume a day but these are natural ways to kick the pills i have been so dependent on. hope these work for everyone, as they did for me. I don't take them at the same time and be careful with the papay enzymes i read on the internet they can cause miscarrages, this is why i had switched to transfer factors because of they don't have these side effects.
|

replied May 29th, 2008
some ideas
I have heard that probiotics are really good for reflux. I tried them, and they didn't do anything for me, but others have tried them and it works for them. It also it good for your digestive system and all kinds of stuff. Also, baking soda is a natural antacid, and it has helped me before.
|

replied December 6th, 2011
Apple cider vinegar and MineralPRO water for acid-reflux
Hi there,

I have found two things to help tremendously. One is apple cider vinegar (or any natural vinegar). I take one tablespoon, and although it goes down hard, and seems counter-intuitive, it works amazingly. Just wait five minutes and you forget you were even in pain.

The other is mineralPRO water. For some reason, tap water causes a lot of heartburn and acid-reflux for me, and mineralPRO water has proven to be highly beneficial.
|

replied February 1st, 2012
Hello i have a related question...What if you get the burning acidic feeling from eating things such as celery and lettuce because I thought this was just normal acid reflux but you say dairy wheat and meat are the main causes. Anyone's opinion is good...
|
Quick Reply