Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Insect Bites Forum

Mystery Bites that Won't Go Away

Must Read
Insect bites can be difficult to identify. Learn why the body reacts to insect bites, and which types of insects cause which kinds of illnesses here....
Were you bitten by a stinging or biting or bloodsucking insect? We review the most common bites humans get, plus info on who is most at risk of insect bites....
What are some of the signs of a serious insect bite? When do you need help? Learn to identify types of insect bites and know when they are serious....
Hello,
About three weeks ago, my boyfriend and I noticed a couple of very itchy red welts on our upper arms when we woke up. This experience has continued and we wake up with at least 4 or five bumps each morning. They are primarily on the forearm, upper arm (front and back), chest, outer elbow area, and neck. The itching is terribly intense. We called an exterminator who inspected the bed and placed glue traps throughout our apartment. After letting the traps sit for a day and a half, nothing was apparent on the traps and he determined that we have body lice. We have since washed all clothing and bedding and sprayed all furniture with RID. I have done some reading on body lice, and it seems rather improbable that we would have them. We are both extremely clean in our home and in regards to personal hygiene. Bedbugs and fleas were not found, nor were mites. These bites are red and swollen, about the size of a dime, and are often in clusters of two or three. As previously mentioned, they itch and hurt! We live in a small apartment above a Persian rug store and below an apartment with at least 7 adults and 2 children in a small space. Is there a chance that something from either above or below could be the source? Are there any other "predators" other than lice, mites, fleas, and bedbugs that have not been considered? All suggestions are welcome! We are desperate for help!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 28th, 2009
This sounds exactly like a problem I had a few years ago when I lived in an apartment building. My apartment was immaculate but if you have one neighbor who bring something with a bed bug in, there can quickly be an infestation. I had the exact same symptoms as you described and I searched for the bugs and bleached everything but I couldn't find them. They are very hard to find! I think one of the traces that they have been there are tiny ink like stains that you might not even have noticed. When I was moving out, I found one and noticed the little stains under the mattress. Needless to say, I pitched the mattress and after I moved I never had another bite again! Ugh, it was so awful. Good luck!
|

replied April 3rd, 2011
This is happening to me right now! Did you ever figure out what it was? I'm going nuts with all these bites, and have already been treated for fleas... to no avail.
|