Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Insect Bites Forum

mysterious itchy bites (Page 1)

Must Read
Insect bites can be difficult to identify. Learn why the body reacts to insect bites, and which types of insects cause which kinds of illnesses here....
Were you bitten by a stinging or biting or bloodsucking insect? We review the most common bites humans get, plus info on who is most at risk of insect bites....
What are some of the signs of a serious insect bite? When do you need help? Learn to identify types of insect bites and know when they are serious....
So, About a week ago I woke up with about 10 bites on the back of my leg. Since then, It's accumulated to probably about thirty bites from my waist down. Whatever it is, doesn't bite anything but my legs! My boyfriend doesn't get bitten either! I've checked for bed bugs in my sheets around and in the corners of my bed, my curtains, everything. The bites are EXTREMELY itchy & they have little black dots in the middle. I don't have any pets and I take showers daily! It seems like since the first night, there's only been a couple bites every night. There's so many, I can't tell anymore:(. Can someone please tell me what I'm being bitten by!???
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper treebill14
|

replied July 21st, 2009
I have the same thing. Have you heard any advice from anyone yet?
|

replied January 22nd, 2012
sore, bites
Well everyone, what are we going to do???
I have had this nightmare skin problem for a year and a half now.
Nothing, and I mean nothing ,I have tried, purchased, sprayed ect. gets rid of it.
I have spent thousands of dollars and time cleaning.
Wash your sheets daily, vacuum often. Soak in the tub but get a layer of something on your skin quick when you get out.
I have been to many Doctors, including Dermatology at the Rochester Mayo Clinic in Mn.
My fiance and I have had many biopsy's which have contained molds and arthropod parts .
We have been on antibiotics for sores that have festered to steroids and creams, also vitamin powders.
Many so called insecticides natural and not.
My personal Doc. keeps saying we have delusional parasites.
We both got these the same day our house was contaminated with air born cellulose insulation which we were exposed to for 2 days.
I watch CDC 's Website to see if they have come up with any answers to what I am beginning to believe and this is just my idea.
They might or might not already know.
But it is time they all put there degrees to work and help all the American citizens who are suffering.
It hurts!!!!
And I am so tired of the people who are suppose to help me with this, from doctor to doctor, who just keep telling me either it is in my head, or they simply don't have any answers. And it is so confusing and angers me that they don't seem to want to find out
AND TEST AND TEST AND TEST .
WHY??????
Don,t let the millions of people in these great united states we live in,[ and yes the other countries that have it also ] Keep suffering
I think it is time we all pull together on this, and demand them to figure it out.
Go to the doctors and health department, the mayors and governors. ARE state officials.
This is crazy, that know one seems to want to help find out what we are all suffering from
UNLESS OF COURSE ... THEY KNOW AND ARE NOT TELLING
My personal opinion, if any one cares to know.
I think we have imported a parasite made up or not, which some of are Doctors might even know about.
There is no reason that I can think of, as to why so many, many people are suffering from these unexplainable sores, and that when we go to the ones who are suppose to make us better.
They SEND US HOME WITH NO ANSWERS,NO HELP, AND WHAT GETS ME THE MOST
They DON"T SEEM TO WANT TO
I wish, and I pray, so so hard every single day that my doctors will take this seriously and help all of us that are suffering.
If I was better at this computer thing, I would start a site ,that could pull us all together in this mystery of unexplainable biting, itching. painful sore or what ever it is that never seems to heal.
Something is going on fellow suffers of this nightmare.
Strength in numbers, answers and most of all a cure.
Is Any one else fed up???
We are not all crazy. We hurt, itch suffer and why again is no one helping?????????
|

replied August 13th, 2012
zoonotic parasites
sounds like you have morgellons. I have had it for about two years now and doctors dont acknowledge it as a real diesease because there is no cure and so it will send a real panic if they say it exist.so yes we all are lunatics with delusional parasites. Um you could check out neuro cutaneous re. Dr omar m. amin . He is and isnt acknowledge it. from my own ivestigation i can tell you it is systemic and is a parasite (what kind dont know) but is is stronger and harder to kill than anything else i have ever researched. it is like being in the twilight zone
|

replied August 13th, 2012
zoonotic parasites
sounds like you have morgellons. I have had it for about two years now and doctors dont acknowledge it as a real diesease because there is no cure and so it will send a real panic if they say it exist.so yes we all are lunatics with delusional parasites. Um you could check out neuro cutaneous re. Dr omar m. amin . He is and isnt acknowledge it. from my own ivestigation i can tell you it is systemic and is a parasite (what kind dont know) but is is stronger and harder to kill than anything else i have ever researched. it is like being in the twilight zone
|

replied July 22nd, 2013
Hello I think it's bed bugs or body lice. Try rubbing bleach on ur body where there's itching. And put powder on ur sheets to choke any bugs.use neosporin for big bites or sores
|

replied July 21st, 2009
Experienced User
have you tried washing your sheets? it may at least get rid of something if there is something in your bed.
|

replied October 10th, 2009
Driving me crazy
I'm having the same thing, unfortunately around my face and the hand I put under my pillow. I see nothing. Have washed everything. They are still coming Sad My bites look like typical bites, red and raised but they last forever! I the first one I noticed a week ago and hasn't gone done one bit. It looks like I have acne on one side of my face.
|

replied October 21st, 2009
Hi. Your post made me think that perhaps you are experiencing the same thing I am... "Extremely itchy", red, pimple like bites on the legs that last about a week. So far, my research seems to indicate that I'm probably dealing with chiggers. The bites I'm receiving are seasonal and happen in the fall, when I venture into the backyard or the surrounding woods. Chiggers are too small to easily see with the naked eye and by the time the bites swell up the chiggers are usually gone. However, the post, describing the bites to the face and hand has me thinking bed bugs, but I'm no expert. Although chiggers can hitch a ride on you into your home, they don't usually infest your home like fleas or bed bugs. Wrong environment for them. Chiggers also have trouble holding onto you so they like to bite were clothing or skin folds will keep them in place, hence bites on the legs, back of the knees, and groin if you are wearing pants. I hope you find a solution to your bites. Do you have any outdoor activities that take you near moist areas with underbrush, tail grass, weeds, etc., were you might pick up chiggers? May I suggest looking up info on chiggers and bed bugs using your favorite search engine?
|

User Profile
replied May 27th, 2010
mysterious bites at night. extremely itchy.
i have been having the same problem for about a month now. i went to the dr and asked him if it could be bed bugs, but he said it is definitely not bedbugs(living in queens, i assume he has seem LOTS of bedbug cases). They don't look like anything ive looked up... he is sending me to an allergist and said it is possibly an allergy to dust mites but the little black dot is what makes me wonder. ive gone through a box of benedryl and 3 tubes of cortisone itch cream. i get about 3 new ones everyday and the ones from a month ago are still here but don't itch as bad.... and i cleaned my room and washed my sheets. my dog doesn't have fleas, and my fiance hasn't got bit once since i started getting them a month ago. so far, ankle, legs, thighs, arm, hand, forehead, and back.... none on my belly/chest *thank god* It is making me depressed, and i feel helpless! HELP?!
|

replied May 2nd, 2012
I feel you man Im you just told my exact same story over the last month Feeling extremely frustrated about ready to burn my clothes, bedding and bed and mattress in the back yard!!
|

replied June 25th, 2010
I have had the same thing for 2 summers in a row. I had tons of little bites, some looked like fleas, some looked like eczema, some almost like poison ivy, but were not (I had that too, and could tell the difference). Last summer I went to the doctor who asked if I had been out of the country. I had been to Costa Rica the month before, and had slept in an old fold out couch with questionably clean sheets that could have had mites of some kind. That's all I could think of, and she gave me a cream that seemed to help it. It was called Permethrin, and I had to cover myself head to toe with it, apparently to kill whatever allergen or bug or mite was getting me. I NEVER saw a single bug bite me (same this summer), but I did flea bomb my house (even though I never saw a flea), washed EVERYTHING, and vacuumed over and over, to no avail. The Permetherin cleared everything up. That might be worth a try. I totally sympathize with this. My partner also has not received a single bite.
|

User Profile
replied June 25th, 2010
Update!!
So heres my update. I went to an allergist. Found out I am extremely allergic to dust mites, and then semi allergic to tomatoes, soy, 7 different kinds of trees, grass, and dust. I took the carpet out of my room and put down linoleum, washed everything. Had my fiance dust everything, vacuum, etc. Still didnt work. Went on to WebMD and typed in my symptoms, and it mentioned people who don't digest gluten properly break out in this type of rash that when it starts going away, it is like little blisters, which is what i have. 4 years ago i was having stomach problems and cut out gluten, and i was all better. 2 years after not eating a drop of gluten, they decided to test me for it, but not having eaten any, it came up as a false negative because it wasn't in my blood stream anymore. Its been a weak that i haven't had any gluten. Its hard but im so much more relieved. I have only had one new "bite", and the rest are going away. Although life is going to such without cookies and pizza and junk food and all of that goodness ill be much healthier and happier without ripping my skin off!!!! Thanks for all of your help guys. Good luck with diagnosing yours!
|

replied August 10th, 2010
year long problem!
i have the same thing! i went to Quebec City last September and somehow brought these things home with me. I noticed at first that the bites were coming in a month at a time (matches a Chigger's life cycle - they only bite as larvae) but then with the constant cleaning (hot washes, vacuum and bleach floor wash) it became erratic. I believe it's Chiggers as i can't see anything and the bites are like mosquito bites that last over a week.
i thought i had gotten rid of them when i moved and bought a new mattress but now i have a new bite! This is so frustrating! i'm going to the doctor for an allergy test to see if it's a gluten thing, i'll ask about the Permethrin and i'll also try a friend's bedbug remedy of Diatamaceous Earth (she sprinkled this powder on her mattress and left it a few days before vacuuming them away for good). i'm so tired and depressed that almost a year later and so much expense in trying to get rid of these things they're still around! If anyone else has any more information i'd really appreciate it!
|

replied August 26th, 2011
chiggers
I grew up in Oklahoma. I live in Rhode Island now and have never heard of anyone talking about chiggers. We grew up hearing that word. Every one got those when they played outside. My mom always put clear fingernail polish over the bites. It suffocates them and they would go away.
|

chiggers
I grew up in Oklahoma. I live in Rhode Island now and have never heard of anyone talking about chiggers. We grew up hearing that word. Every one got those when they played outside. My mom always put clear fingernail polish over the bites. It suffocates them and they would go away.

I am waking up itching all over my body with a couple of flat, white, broad bites on me. I don't know what they are. My whole body feels itchy.
I have had bed bugs before in this apt building and it was a nightmare. 5 sprays which took a whole summer to get rid of.
Those bites were red and in patterns like lines down my body. These are under my butt, and on my arms. Everything is attracted to me.

Me and my boyfriend spent the night in my car once while traveling. I got about 25 mosquito bites on my legs and he got none.
|

replied September 16th, 2010
itchy bites that won't go away!!!
i'm reading all these posts and my case is different. something bit me in the middle of the night and itched so badly it woke me up and i took a hot shower! it's been 2 months now. only 2 small pimple-like bumps on my right calf. itch like the dickens!!! my husband has no bites and never did. i've tried alcohol, mouthwash, bleach and now insect analgesic topped with calamine for itch relief. those f%*@ers won't go away for nothing!!! any ideas, before i have to go to the dr. for an expensive antibiotic?
|

replied September 19th, 2010
Strange Bites
So I'm glad that I have proof to show someone that I am not the only one who is getting these bites! I recently moved into a new apartment in June and the bites started coming in September. I thought maybe they were bed bugs or fleas (the people upstairs have a cat that they let roam the stairwells) so I got a fogger for fleas and bed bugs.. no help. These bites last FOREVER! The most recent one I got looks like its already infected. Looks like it's finally time to see the doctor.. Thanks for your help!
|

replied October 26th, 2010
What we are doing to fight whatever is biting at night
Okay I am dealing with the same thing. I started sleeping on a blanket on top of the quilt with another blanket on top of me and it seems to help. It's the kind of blanket with the shiny ends. I don't think it likes that kind of blanket. Anyway, this has been going on for months and we don't have signs of bed bugs. So we have dogs that stay downstairs and I have been too busy working to put that flea stuff on them this year and its been hot in our state over the summer so could be fleas. Although we haven't seen signs of them either. In any event, the exterminator at my husband's workplace recommened this stuff. It is sold at Southern States and he said it will absolutely kill anything alive in our room. You spray it around the baseboard and leave for 2 hours.

Good Luck everyone because dealing with this is a nightmare I really hope it helps us and all of you.
|

replied August 22nd, 2011
what is the name of the stuff...please help!
|

replied November 13th, 2010
I noticed that I've been getting bite marks on my body (mostly my legs) lately and its usually multiply bite marks at a time.
So I was just using the computer and I noticed that my right leg felt itchy. I lifted up my jogging bottoms and I saw a very small black insect on my leg!! Around the size of an ant, if not smaller. I immediately grabbed some tissue and I squeezed it. Red blood was on the tissue and the bug was still alive after I tried squeezing it to death! I took pictures of it with my phone but the quality isn't so great but I would appreciate it if someone could identify it as this is the second time that I've seen the insect bite me! The bites are itchy and stings just a little bit.
Description: it was flat when I squished it and it was still walking. Black. 6 legs. Don't think it has wings. Smaller than an ant.

Also I live in the UK and I don't have cats or dogs.

Thank you for your time!
|

replied April 27th, 2011
Fleas???
Sounds like fleas... very hard to spot usually, as they jump away... Spray your house all over AND YOUR MATTRESS with roach-killing spray. Leave your apartment (having shut all doors and windows) for about 30 minutes, then come back and open them all up to let fresh air in. Do this daily for about a week. If you could get professional pest control, then prefer to have that done instead as it is easier. Fleas tend to live on/in mattresses and blankets, and they can hide inside the stretchy parts of our clothes (waistbands, socks, end of sleeves etc)
|

I would never spray my mattress with poisonous roach sprays. Call an exterminator.
|

I would never spray my mattress with poisonous roach sprays. Call an exterminator.
|

It sounds like a bed bug.
|

It sounds like a bed bug.
|

replied January 19th, 2011
By far the worst itching I have EVER had. It woke me up. It started with what I thought was, and I know this will sound funny but its the only way I can describe it, Athletes feet, but on my ring finger. It forced me out of bed. I noticed a 1mm bump under where my ring was. I washed it, put some bug itching cream on it, went back to bed. not 2 minutes later another one popped up just below my elbow on my left arm. AGAIN with the itching. within an hour I a had few more, but this time on my right hand and wrist. It felt like my whole forearm was infected with the worse case of athleets foot. I had to get out of bed. The itching goes away from each shot in about 10-15 minutes only to pop back up again in another spot.
I had changed my sheets just hours before. My first thought was there was something in the cabinet they were in, so they are in the washer now and will go right back on my bed from the dryer.
WHAT THE HECK IS THIS?
|

replied February 3rd, 2011
I'm having the same problem. I'll go to sleep, then the next morning wake up with three or so more bumps that itch like crazy.. I'm going to try washing everything with a concoction of white vinegar and water (apparently this works.. we shall see) and go from there. All I know is I've slept in three different beds in the past month and these bumps keep following me wherever I go.. it's horrible Sad
|

replied May 22nd, 2011
scabbies
scabbies. I have the itchies and theyre from your bed. scabbies are a slow moving parasite which dig themselves under your skin and make itchy welts. usually on heat spots, back of knees, feet, between fingers and toes, wrists, armpits, and ive even got them where body touches the matress and pillows.
see a doctor and they will give you lotion, apply all over except for the face, and change all sheets, iron your bed, and spray with insect spray, put your duvets and pillows in sealed plastic bags to suffocate the scabbies, keep them in there for 4 days. hot wash your sheets and linen. sleep on fresh clean linen on your ironed and sprayed bed, after 24 hours wash the lotion off. you will still itch for a couple of weeks afterwards but you wont get any new bites. if you do, you'll have to start the entire process again.
|

replied October 3rd, 2011
Hidden Bed Bugs
If it helps, my best friend had bites for 6 months that he thought was a rash. He later found out that they were bed bugs living in his wooden bed frame. He had checked the mattress etc but not the frame before.
|

replied November 3rd, 2011
rat mites
Hi, I've been suffering with break outs of itchy bites every fall for years, and in at least 2 different homes.
My dermatologist was no help other than to tell me that I am likely highly allergic to whatever is chewing on me, so I did a little research. We live in an older home with an attic crawlspace. Every fall rodents try to move in. We keep them at bay with traps, but in that month or so of trapping and resealing entry points I break out with the itchy bites. The bites are caused by rat mites, which look for a body to feed on when their natural host is eliminated. They are not a disease vector, but are most certainly a nuisance. After a few weeks they will die off.
|

replied November 3rd, 2011
I should mention that my husband doesn't get bit. My bites are mostly in armpits and stomach area. I am woken up during the night by the bites -stinging leading to intense itch. The bites have a raised center and itch for days and sometimes a week. The bite itself is evident for weeks.
|

replied February 10th, 2012
myslef and my son have been attacked by them too extremly itchy to the point of cyring and im a 33yr old man. It happend last year too. its been relly wet here I have chooks and rats in the pen... I think it could be rat mites too same little black dot as described.. I got hit maybe 5-7 days ago now I have more double the amount of the first attack like it was slow release pain. Ive been using a spray that has antiseptic and antiiflamatory in it sorry spelling its called soov here in AU. brings instant relief its intened for burns like sun burn or hot water etc. give it ago.. ive been trying to kill the rats ill try even harder now.
|
12 >>
Quick Reply