Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Myocardial bridge

Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
User Profile
am a little worried and confused right now. After a heart cath done this past Jan.. for some chest wall pain, I was told my cath was normal.. but they did find a mild myocardial bridge in my mid lad with no flow limitation. All my other ateries were normal and free from lesions. I was told this was nothing to worry about, but findning out that I have a heart defect from birth at age 41.. does not sit very well with me. I have a family history of CAD.. mother had a very mild MI 7 years ago at age 60. She had a few big risk factors.. but no MB. Lucky for me, I am of perfect weight, with normal cholestrol..(sp) aside from a low HDL and normal glucose levels, lower BP, active and eat right. Only issue is I've been a smoker.. and I'm trying VERY hard to quit. Now, my symptoms have been these episodes of sinus tach.. some chest wall pain.. and upper back burning. My medical doc, so far has been unable to find any medical illness to explain these symptoms. I'm worried about SCD from this brid

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 8th, 2010
Heart Disease and Heart Attack Answer A10511
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You would like to know the cause of your current condition.

A myocardial bridge is a condition when one of the coronary arteries tunnels through the myocardium instead of resting on top of it (which is anatomically normal). As the heart squeezes to pump blood, the muscle that grows around one of the larger arteries exerts pressure across the bridge and constricts the artery. This condition is present from birth. It can lead to uncomfortable, powerful heartbeats, tachycardia and angina.

According to the data that you described, you may be experiencing a mild myocardial bridge. Since the heart muscle suffers from hypoxia when the heart pumps stronger and faster, symptoms common for angina pectoris may appear such as chest pain, that radiates to the left shoulder, left arm and jaws. If this type of pain lasts longer than 20 to 30 minutes and doesn't improve by taking medications, it is considered a heart attack. To avoid a heart attack you may consider keeping your heartbeat on the normal 60 to 80 beats per minute. Avoid caffeine and tea, because these substances have a stimulative effect on the heartbeat by increasing it. You may also consider taking medications for treatment of tachycardia after previous consultation with a cardiologist.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment of your current condition.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.