Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

My 6 year old has vaginal pains

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
I have a 6 year old girl who has suffered with bad vaginal pain on and off for roughly 6 months now. It is odd as it only happens at night never during the day she just says she is a little itchy or it feels fizzy ? during the day but of a night she is in agonising pain. It lasts 4-7 days then eases off for a while, we have been to the doctors done 2 swabs 2 urine sapmles all came back ok But We have been given cream for thrush and antibiotics for treatment of a uti and still the problem is there. We are trying showers, cotton knickers and she has vitamins everyday. I am at a loss now as to what to try can anyone help please ???
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper loki1
|
Users who thank loki1 for this post: Parispurplerain 

replied March 3rd, 2011
Especially eHealthy
loki1, I have no idea but have you looked at a possible reaction to bath bubbles/soap and the sleeping panties? Does she have a discharge at all? Is it her vagina or vulva? Did they make sure there is not something stuck inside her vagina. Did she get tested for early diabetes? Did you keep a calendar of these outbreaks and is there a pattern to this?

Best of luck
|

replied March 9th, 2011
Good Luck...Check for interstitial cystitis
I kept thinking I had vaginal problems with itchy symptoms. Turned out after 17 visits to the emergency room in 6 month period. One doctor told me to quit using dove soap. I had to try several different ones before finding one that didn't cause yeast like infections both around the lips of my vagina. My symptoms improved by staying away from sugar too.

About few years I was still having pelvic pain especially after a long active day. I would be up all night in pain. Wake up with a full bladder and the pain was worse...finally a doctor told me I had an overactive bladder and to see a urologist. It turned out I had interstitial cystitis where the liner of your bladder is damaged. And the nerves in your bladder are exposed to your own urine. It feels like you have a bladder infection all the time.

My advice, as a mother. Change soaps and go to urologist to have her bladder checked. The only way to find out is for them to go inside the bladder and take pictures. It turns out people with interstitial cystitis have a hard time fighting off the growth of yeast. Your daughter may have to change her diet to help fight off symptoms of Interstitial cystitis and yeast infections. The sooner her diet is changed...the better chances for her bladder to heal or she will live her whole life in agony with IC. Hopefully, if you find the root of problem, she won't have to take pain relievers. I used ibeprofen for years before diagnosed with IC. I now am on a pain management program under close care of my physician.

Whatever it is...she certainly has a low immune system. So get to root of the problem and change her diet immediately to prevent yeast infections.

But if she is up all night...it is a strong possibility she is up all night with her bladder spasming. If you touch just above where her hairline would be, you can sometimes feel the bladder throbbing like a heart beat.

She wakes up and pees. She feels better because she just slept and her nerves in her bladder are relaxed. She plays alittle and then her nerves go crazy again in the bladder.

Don't want to scare...but you must consider everything here especially because of her age. I personally must keep my yeast down to keep my bladder from flaring badly. But my bladder hurts everyday like a bladder infection no matter what. All I can do is monitor my diet and manage my pain.

Also, No bubble baths...they cause yeast infections! Good Luck.
|

replied March 9th, 2011
Good Luck...Check for interstitial cystitis
I kept thinking I had vaginal problems with itchy symptoms. Turned out after 17 visits to the emergency room in 6 month period. One doctor told me to quit using dove soap. I had to try several different ones before finding one that didn't cause yeast like infections both around the lips of my vagina. My symptoms improved by staying away from sugar too.

About few years I was still having pelvic pain especially after a long active day. I would be up all night in pain. Wake up with a full bladder and the pain was worse...finally a doctor told me I had an overactive bladder and to see a urologist. It turned out I had interstitial cystitis where the liner of your bladder is damaged. And the nerves in your bladder are exposed to your own urine. It feels like you have a bladder infection all the time.

My advice, as a mother. Change soaps and go to urologist to have her bladder checked. The only way to find out is for them to go inside the bladder and take pictures. It turns out people with interstitial cystitis have a hard time fighting off the growth of yeast. Your daughter may have to change her diet to help fight off symptoms of Interstitial cystitis and yeast infections. The sooner her diet is changed...the better chances for her bladder to heal or she will live her whole life in agony with IC. Hopefully, if you find the root of problem, she won't have to take pain relievers. I used ibeprofen for years before diagnosed with IC. I now am on a pain management program under close care of my physician.

Whatever it is...she certainly has a low immune system. So get to root of the problem and change her diet immediately to prevent yeast infections.

But if she is up all night...it is a strong possibility she is up all night with her bladder spasming. If you touch just above where her hairline would be, you can sometimes feel the bladder throbbing like a heart beat.

She wakes up and pees. She feels better because she just slept and her nerves in her bladder are relaxed. She plays alittle and then her nerves go crazy again in the bladder.

Don't want to scare...but you must consider everything here especially because of her age. I personally must keep my yeast down to keep my bladder from flaring badly. But my bladder hurts everyday like a bladder infection no matter what. All I can do is monitor my diet and manage my pain.

Also, No bubble baths...they cause yeast infections! Good Luck.
|

replied April 27th, 2012
Re: My 6 year old has vaginal pains
loki1 wrote:
I have a 6 year old girl who has suffered with bad vaginal pain on and off for roughly 6 months now. It is odd as it only happens at night never during the day she just says she is a little itchy or it feels fizzy ? during the day but of a night she is in agonising pain. It lasts 4-7 days then eases off for a while, we have been to the doctors done 2 swabs 2 urine sapmles all came back ok But We have been given cream for thrush and antibiotics for treatment of a uti and still the problem is there. We are trying showers, cotton knickers and she has vitamins everyday. I am at a loss now as to what to try can anyone help please ???

My daughter is the same and has been since about age 4!! The Drs have no idea what it is, they've done tests examined her we've kept diaries of what activities she did and what food she ate. They thought it was to do with her gymnastics at one point. Then her swimming. But nothing seems linked, she had the pain again last night and hasn't been swimming for over 2weeks. It has nothing to do with her body wash, her shampoo, washing pYowder,, materials or if shes showering too much or not enough, over the years we have changed everything. She'll be ok and, it'll disappear for a month or so and then come back. She had an ' attack' last week for the first time in about 6 months and then again last night.
All the Docs have advised is ibuprofen and canaston cream; and I honestly don't know if they work or if the pain just passes. She's normaly in tears and telling me it stings, she can't keep herself still and is curling up into a ball, then trying to stand up for about an hour. My little girl is now 10, and we have been back to the Doctors so many times, they are very sympathetic but have no answers. One Doctor thought it could be internal growing pains.
I know this isn't much help but at least you know your daughters not the only one, I have found lots of people online who's girls are the same, but still no solution. It does eventually stop around 16-18 most say!! So I'm sort of inclined to think it could be a growing thing. But WHY only at night!! If by some miricle you find a solution please let me know and I'll do the same.

Lisa
|

replied September 11th, 2012
I used to have this when I was in about 3rd or 4th grade. It lasted for over a year and just went away on its own. Had tons of tests and tried everything like changing soap, underwear, different creams. Nothing helped though and never knew what it was but it only happened at night and it was horrible pain. I'd be up all night crying and then eventually it would go away. I remember dreading night time cause i knew how much pain id have to go through. Its the weirdest thing. I was surprised to see how many other girls are having these experiences too.
|

replied June 29th, 2013
My 6 year old is experiencing this right now, has had this on & off for a while now just put it down to falling asleep with her pants on & maybe them cutting into her, but sometimes she only has her pj bottoms on & will wake through the night in pain! Mostly happens all of a sudden at night, & istarting to wonder if its cystitis/thrush as iquite prone to it, tonight is the worst I have seen her & it breaks my heart so taking her to a doctor on Monday.. Her diet is usualy very good, drinks plenty of milk & water, eats plenty fruit (her fav) & eats most veg, not a big meat eater at all thou.. has anybody got any ideas on any other foods she should have to help with this? Thanks,
|

replied June 30th, 2013
Community Volunteer
Taking her to her doctor is the best thing you can do.

It is unlikely to be diet related. Is it her vulva that is sore, or her vagina?

If it is her vagina, it is important to make sure she did not put something inside and that her hymen does have an opening.

If it is her vulva, it is likely some irritation, allergy or infection. It can also be adhesions due to a low estrogen level.

Best of luck. I hope she gets rid of thi soon!
|

replied January 22nd, 2014
Throbbing vagina
My 8yr old has also been experiencing the same problem, itchy, throbbing. If she wakes up we try going to the toilet to empty bladder, wash with QV then apply bepanthen, I give her an ice pack to put on her vagina and if still hurts I give her panadol. Even after all this it can still be painful but most of the time it works. The emergency department did give me some gel which they use before applying a catheter which numbs the area, that worked but you can't always access it unless you go to emergency department. All tests cme back negative but I was told it was due to low estrogen. But not too sure will try urologist.
|