Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

My wife - abnormal EEG and non-epileptic seizures

Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
I am new to this forum. My wife has had a series of seizures in the last few months. She had trips to the ER, an abnormal EEG. She has damage from an old stroke, which was thought to be a contributor. She spent a week in the hospital where they determined her one and only seizure they monitored was non-epileptic. How can you have abnormal EEG and non-epileptic seizures? While in the hospital they took her off her topomax and vimpat. Topomax wasn't working, so I get that. Vimpat she had only been on for a few weeks. She stopped having seizures, so they refered her to counseling. Her primary neuro, who is not at the same hospital, decided to see how it went, but now the seizures are back. 3 in the last 24 hours. I am scared.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 10th, 2012
I can understand your frustration, I had a series of what I called seizures in front of several people including drs. the neuro I saw for them said I was depressed and these were "non-epileptic seizures caused by the depression, etc. when I spoke to a psychiatrist that treeated these about being seen for this(though I didnt believe these were due to depression since they happened when I got ha's and such)She told me that she didnt see anything from the records that the neuro did that proved these were non-epileptic. she said I would need to have a VIDEO EEG to verify this and would only be able to treat me if these were proven by veeg. This neuro didnt do any such test, she pretty much just talked to me and told me what I had- no testing. The only test I had was a short reg eeg that came back normal. I have since had more of these seizures after having some of the worst ha's I have had. I have now had 2 video eegs among other tests and the first one came back abnormal prompting my new neuro to give me another-having it done right now(ambulatory eeg part) he has not verified what seizures they are for sure but says they are NOT non-epileptic seizures. I now also have total body weakness that we are trying to figure out-hence the new testing.
Perhaps you could talk to your dr if you havent already about a video eeg or some other tests to verify that it is actually non-epileptic seizures she is having? Or other types? Maybe she needs a change in meds or even a change in neuros, one that specializes in seizure disorders specifically-maybe at a teaching hosp setting?
|

replied April 15th, 2012
I have epilepsy and non-epileptic seizures... just because it doesn't show up on an eeg doesn't mean it isn't a seizure because it could be happening deep in the brain... non-epileptic seizures can be caused by stress and a number of other things... keep on the doctors to get the right answers cause both you and you wife deserve the right diagnoses... Good Luck
|