Medical Questions > Nutrition > Vitamins Forum

My vitamin D levels are not increasing?

i had 22nmo/L 6 months ago then for three months i stood in the sun for 15 minutes everyday while taking 2000IU daily of vitamin d tab/ets

(i am sort of tanned with white to light brown skin)

my levels went to 25/nmoL after the three months so not much of an improvement, i want to get up to around 80 to boost my immune system and prevent cancer

do i have some sort of malabsorbtion?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 23rd, 2012
Affordable Supplements
Thanks for your question about your Vitamin D levels. I wrote an interesting article about the importance of Vitamin D for your health and also the use of Vitamin D supplements.
|

replied May 13th, 2012
Re: My vitamin D levels are not increasing?
johnlad wrote:
i had 22nmo/L 6 months ago then for three months i stood in the sun for 15 minutes everyday while taking 2000IU daily of vitamin d tab/ets
It's best really to take vitamin d that's carried in oil. Tablets are the least well absorbed form. Because it's a fat soluble vitamin it's probably best taken with food or a meal containing FAT.
For sun exposure it's best to expose skin that is normally kept covered by clothing. Tanned skin makes less vitamin d than palest skin AND Sunlight contains both UVA and UVB rays. The UVB converts 7 dehydrocholesterol molecule (a form of cholesterol) into Cholecalciferol. (vitamin D3) however further UVA exposure converts that newly made vitamin d3 into suprasterols the body doesn't use. So exposing skin normally hidden enables most vitamin d to be created and covering up that skin for the rest of the day PROTECTS it from degradation by UVA and allows time for it be be absorbed into the body.

Quote:
my levels went to 25/nmoL after the three months so not much of an improvement, i want to get up to around 80 to boost my immune system and prevent cancer
Generally people need 1000iu for each 25lbs they weigh and I guess you probably weigh more than 50lbs. So try increasing the amount you take every day until you have another 25(OH)D proving you have reached your target.

Quote:
do i have some sort of malabsorbtion?
No your results are fairly typical. If you find the GRASSROOTSHEALTH website you'll find a graph of different daily intakes and the vitamin d levels they find needed. While their is a big variation for the lowest to the highest responders to get EVERYONE above 40ng/ml probably would require over 9000iu/daily each. It's not surprising because we know that generally FULL BODY NON BURNING SUN EXPOSURE creates 10,000iu ~20,000iu so I don't really understand why people think using trivial amounts of vitamin d would solve the problem.
|