Medical Questions > Debate Forums > Cloning and Stem Cell Debate Forum

My two cents about the stem-cell hootenanny

User Profile
Stem cells are awesome! They contain the power to ease so much suffering that I am baffled by the fact that there's even any debate about it! What reasons have I found in my research? The only downside to stem cells is that they're only produced by fetuses and embryos, with a few scattered in the umbilical cord. (I donated mine all three times I gave birth. Had anyone asked me for the fetus I aborted, I'd have proudly handed that over too.) Since abortion is legal and people are doing it left and right, why is there a problem with this? I don't even see what's wrong with creating embryos expressly for the purpose of harvesting stem cells.

I think the people who object to this are either hypocrites and I think I can prove it. Parents often point to their own children as a shining example of an embryo being all it can be. To one who's reading this, how would you feel if that child were (God forbid) stricken with a broken neck or some fatal nerve disorder that could easily be cured with a few globs of a certain kind of cell and the know-how to use them? What if their liver were deteriorating and nobody had a fresh one to replace it? Would you still feel the same way about stem cell research? If not, you're a hypocrite. If so, you're more saintly than I could ever hope to be because I'd kill in a heartbeat for my kids. I more or less do every time I feed them dinner, don't you think? (We aren't vegans, not even close!) I'd even kill to save my own skin, so why should I get all sentimental about some cells?

I think one of the main reasons it's vilified is because it would give purpose to the act of abortion. I doubt many people who get squawked up about stem cells are OK with abortion. How could they maintain their beliefs and convince others if there was something that beneficial to be gained from it? It amazes me how much some people fear life outside of their mental box. Come on... you can join us. It's nice out here! We have cookies...
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DamianaRaven
|
Users who thank DamianaRaven for this post: GreyWolf 

User Profile
replied September 24th, 2010
Experienced User
Abortion is going to happen, whether other people like it or not, so in my opinion, doctors might as well make use of the foetal cells removed during one, to treat or cure ill people.

People kill (animals) to eat all the time, why should killing something less sentient than an animal to potentially cure an illness be seen as any worse? Especially when the doctors are using foetuses that whould otherwise have died (from the fetus's point of view) for nothing?
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Please excuse my bad grammar and spelling in the above post! Bad keyboard day!
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Hey, even the best of us make mistakes. I said "I think the people who object to this are either hypocrites and I think I can prove it." I don't know what the word "either" is doing in that sentence, but it's driving me mad.
|

User Profile
replied September 25th, 2010
Experienced User
Haha, I didn't even notice that! XD
But yeah, great post, and I completely agree. I think the reason some people object is because it relies on women having abortions and goes hand-in-hand with that, and therefore could be seen by some pro-lifers as "justifying" abortion.

I'm pro-choice (as you are most likely aware, seeing as I "hang out" a lot on the abortion debate forum) and I also support stem-cell research for the purpose of curing ill people. And like I say, the way I see it, the foetus's cells might as well be used to cure sick people, rather than just being thrown away like rubbish.
|

replied October 10th, 2011
I think I have the receipt for cure the people against stem cells:
Put those guys in wheelchairs , give them terrible back pain every single hour, give them the "great" diagnostic that there is nothing they can do to walk again or to treat the pains , and then after few days ask them if he would agree to use a stem cell so they can recover in a few days and walk again ... I bet 99.9% would change their minds and take the treatment.
|