Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

*My TMJ Splint Update*

Hi guys, Max here with another update....

Well, I'm one week into my splint treatment. Overall, I think the splint is helping in shifting my bite. I do experience my same symptoms which I'm getting more convinced is unrelated to my bite Sad I get a feeling of tightness in my stomach, irritation in my throat, a raw feeling in my mouth, and sensitivity in my lips. Most of you heard my story, but initially my doctors thought is was GERD so we tried treatment for that with little success. We did various blood test.....everything came back normal.

I know it's only a week but I just don't know if TMJ/an off bite could contribute to this. My ENT is having my do an MRI before I see a neurologist to see if it could be nerve related pain. So I'm due for that next monday.

My dentist also wants to see me in two weeks to see how I am doing. She said, if not better, we are going to shift your bite a little more forward and possible will need to replace your upper bicuspids.

Well, the journey to good health continues. Let me know your thoughts on this guys. Thanks.

Max
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 26th, 2012
As you know, I'm 4 weeks into a splint and no success yet. 1 week and 1 month is early. Most of what I read says 2-6 months.

What was your opening at? DO you have any joint pain or muscle spasms?

Have you done any diet testing? Gluten or dairy intolerance could give you these. Sister in law randomly developed gluten intolerance at almost 30. Lost weight and was miseragble before they figured it out. She always felt sick, then after two weeks on a basic diet she started feeling better.
|

replied April 26th, 2012
Thanks for the response joe. I had an allergy test from an allergist who didn't find any gluten allergies.

I'm about 1 week into the splint which is early. I was optimistic from reading one of your posts that your stomach troubles got better.....? I hope you are doing better the pre splint treatment. Thanks for the reply Wink
|

replied April 27th, 2012
I was in a soft splint for a few weeks waiting for my NM splint to be made. So between the two it was about 3-4 weeks before I went off the prilosec. My stomach is not back to normal but its bearable and I'm not taking anything for it.

One thing I did that helped a bit was to add in some probiotics. Started eating more yogurt and bought a bottle of probiotic pills. I will say to start slow, too many probiotics can make things worse.
|

replied April 27th, 2012
Also what was your opening in MM when the dentist checked you out. Did you have any limited opening?
|

replied April 30th, 2012
Hi Joe,

My dentist didn't tell me my mm opening. I don't think I had any limited opening though.....
|

replied May 3rd, 2012
Joe what kind of symptoms you had with your stomach?
|