Medical Questions > Relationships > Family Relationships Forum

My son's weight

Hello there! I have a 16 year son who is SOOO Skinny, UNHEALTHY SKINNY, I BELIEVE!!
He is 5'10 and abit, and weighs 118 pounds. He has developed an interest in working out since he started weight lifting at school in september, GRRRRRRRRRRR!!
He eats well, loves his veggies and fruits now but i dont think he's eating enough for his age. He has totally cut out cookies or any other junk food that he would occasionaly munch on way back when, LIKE ANY NORMAL TEENAGER. I've noticed him really quiet these days, im assuming thats just another teeanger thingy. He is always COLD! I told him cuz he has no fat in his body and he's all bones!! I dont want to give him a complex about his weight but im definetly not shy to express my concerns about his weight to him, he drives him nuts cuz not only am i worred about him but so is the family, he hears alot of....."JOSH YOUR SOO SKINNY"! It bothers me cuz i think he's too skinny and im hoping its not a medical issue that i should be concerned about!! PLS HELP, WHAT SHOULD I DO!!!! Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper mamabravo1
|

replied December 23rd, 2011
All the things you mentioned are signs of an eating disorder.... As someone with experience with children with EDs, (not as a doctor) I have to say--make sure he's not developed one, and FAST. For every day one goes without help, it'll take a week of recovery/therapy, if not more, depending on how long it passes unnoticed without rehabilitation.

Please listen to your gut and be concerned. The stats you listed put him at an avg BMI of 16.9...less than 18.5 is underweight. The fact that he's cold all the time is a dangerous sign that his body is is undernourished and can no longer compensate for his habits.

If he does have an ED, it's likely that he will do everything he possibly can to convince you he's okay. Don't believe him. It could be life or death.

A doctor can help you plan some sort of intervention or get some stats/advice for you to give to him, if you're worried about his reaction or he resists gentle probing.

I couldddd be overreacting.... but honestly, I doubt it, and this makes me very sad for him and your family :[

ED's often go unnoticed in guys because it's less common, but it's not that rare for guys to have them.

Sorry about the disorganized rant--I just really hope you understand that you need to confront him about this and see if you can get him to gain weight, and if he won't, then get him to a doc, or if that fails, even put him into an in-treatment recovery center. But an ED is a terrible thing to lose a child to.
|

replied January 1st, 2012
Friendswithana-thank you for your message, I too have suspected an ED with my son. I will be taking him in to the doctors this week it is and can be a life or death situation!! Its very scary! BIGH SIGH! In any case, i do appreciate your kind words and hopefully i'll have some great news for you soon!! Smile
|

replied January 1st, 2012
Thanks for the update...I definitely want to hear how it goes!! Always glad to help, and best of luck!
|

replied January 4th, 2012
friendswithana- Thanks once again! I will keep you posted! Smile
|