Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Muscular and Nerve Disorders Forum

My right shoulder,arm, and hand........please help

Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
I am a 28 yr. old female and for the past 2 weeks I have been having very difficult problems out of my right shoulder were it meets my neck all the way down to my fingertips. When I wake, my right arm hurts so bad it takes about 10 to 15 minutes for me to be able to move it without the pain causing me to cry. Then I notice it is knumb and my right hand is swollen so bad that I can't close it and the fingertips are knumb and tingle so bad like little needles being poked in them over and over. This happened about a month ago and lasted for about 2 and a half months and then went away I didn't think nothing of it until it started up again. I have never felt such pain and when it does happen it will take my arm and shoulder a couple of hours to subside, but my hand has gotten to were it will last all day especially the swelling, knumbness, and fingertip tingling. Please someone help it is affecting my daily life and I can't handle the pain anymore. Thank You!!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Gaelic
|

User Profile
replied June 18th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
Justme82,

These symptoms could be from a few things and without a good examination, it is impossible to determine exactly what is causing the problem.

The numbness and tingling is a sign of compression of the nerve(s). Fingers which are numb can also feel like they are swollen and stiff. (Like your lip when you have dental work done.) The compression can be located in several different regions, from the neck, brachial plexus, thoracic outlet, or even more distally.

If there is actual swelling, then you might also have compression of the lymphatic or venous return systems. These can occur with the nerve compression as the nerves and vessels often run together.

You should see an orthopedic surgeon or neurologist for an evaluation of your neck, shoulder, and upper extremity. A thorough exam should be able to determine what is going on, but occasionally extra studies such as an MRI, CT scan, ultrasound, or electrical studies need to be done.

Good luck.
|

replied June 18th, 2011
Thank You, I went to my family Doctor and they just told me to go the ER, I don't have insurance, so I don't want to go unless it could be something bad. I was in a carwreck head on collision in 2009, could that be what it is from. I have a popping noise in my neck when I turn my head and I do have alot of migraines. Also sometimes I will get shooting pain sensations that go from my neck down my body. Now ever since this started with my arm, I am getting pain in my right leg and my right foot is swollen (not as bad as my hand) but I can tell the difference. Just worried and scared........Thanks for the advice.
|

User Profile
replied June 22nd, 2011
Especially eHealthy
Justme,

It sounds like you need to see someone about it, since it is getting worse and you can't do your daily activities. If you go the the ER, they will just refer you to an orthopedic surgeon or neurologist. So, you should probably bypass the ER.

Hope you find out what is going on. Good luck.
|