Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

My partner is HIV Positive. am I at risk?

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
User Profile
Hi I am a 23 year old mixed race gay man, My partner of 9 months is 38 years old white man and HIV Positive, we have always had safe sex the entire time, but we have however had unprotected oral sex both given and received, I am probably just being paranoid but we have been together monogamously 9 months am I at risk?

Also I read online that the risk is impossible to contract the virus through kissing unless it is french kissing.

I suppose I am worried because I had a couple of scares before and it was a false alarm and I only found out recently that my partner was Positive.

I have been stressed lately as we have a long distance relationship too (7 out of 9 of those months) where we have only seen each other at weekends and maybe had about 35% of unprotected oral sex given and received. The rest was always safe.

So we getting things sorted so that we can build a future. When I found out he was positive I didn\'t react badly just that I was upset that there was nothing I could do

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 1st, 2011
HIV and AIDS Answer A26416
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

HIV can pose a very small risk for both the active (person giving the oral stimulation) and receptive (person receiving oral stimulation) partner, when compared to that with regular sexual intercourse.

This is because HIV is normally only present in saliva in very low levels that are not sufficient to cause infection. The linings of the mouth and throat are very resistant to viral infections such as HIV, so infection is unlikely if they are healthy.

But transmission from an HIV positive receptive partner to an HIV negative active partner may occur when the active partner gets sexual fluid or blood into a cut, sore, ulcer or area of inflammation somewhere in their mouth or throat.

Transmission from an HIV positive active partner to an HIV negative receptive partner is generally believed to be less common. The only risk in this scenario would be from bleeding wounds or gums in the HIV positive person’s mouth or on their lips, which may transfer blood onto the mucous membranes of the other person’s genitals or anus, or into any cuts or sores they may have.

Transmission of Infection via oral sex with a partner can be prevented by - using a condom both during penetrative and oral sex. .

You might consult a HIV counselor for any additional information and help.

I hope this information here is helpful.‎

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.