Medical Questions > Cancer > Breast Cancer Forum

my nipple is inverted with white smelly discharge running?

Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....
User Profile
I have a proplem, I discovered a lump under my left armpit but like close to my breast, I have extensive swelling ,y left breastm my nipple is inverted, I have a white smelly discharge running from it and somethines blood too... I had a scan done and the scan showed something very funny. The report says its nothing, but my gut is telling me something else. When I bath, my breast burns alot and it sometimes bleeds... Help please....

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 29th, 2012
Breast Cancer Answer A30892
Hello and welcome to e health forum. ‎

Some important risk factors that may increase a woman's chances of getting breast cancer, ‎‎include – ‎
‎1. Older age, ‎
‎2. Early menarche ( young age, when you first had your menstrual ‎period), ‎
‎3. Late menopause, ‎
‎4. late age of child bearing, ‎
‎5. Never giving birth, ‎
‎6. Not ‎breastfeeding, ‎
‎7. Personal history or family history of breast cancer or some non-‎cancerous breast ‎diseases, ‎
‎8. history of radiotherapy, ‎
‎9. obesity, ‎
‎10. use of estrogen therapy, ‎
‎11. Having breast cancer-related genes BRCA1 or BRCA2, sedentary lifestyle, and regular ‎‎alcohol intake. ‎

Some important warning signs of breast cancer include – ‎

‎1. Appearance of a new lump in the breast or ‎underarm (armpit), ‎
‎2. Thickening or swelling of part of the breast, ‎
‎3. Irritation or dimpling, ‎redness or flaky skin of breast skin or the nipple, ‎
‎4. Inverting of the nipple, ‎
‎5. Nipple ‎discharge other than breast milk, including blood, ‎
‎6. Any change in the size or the shape ‎of the breast.‎
‎7. Pain in any area of the breast.‎

Keep in mind that some of these warning signs can happen with other conditions that are ‎‎not cancer, such as - ‎

Since you are still young, it is less likely for you to have a breast cancer, Unless you have ‎genetic and family history of breast cancer, and also other risk factors as mentioned ‎above. ‎

But since you still seem to have multiple signs, which do indicate other possible breast ‎conditions, which can be confused with breast cancer, including - ‎

‎1. Mammary dysplasia (fibrocystic condition of the breast), ‎
‎2. Fibroadenoma, ‎
‎3. Intraductal papilloma, ‎
‎4. Lipoma, and ‎
‎5. Fat necrosis.‎
‎6. Breast abscess (Infections). ‎

Hence it is necessary for you to undergo further proper investigation and treatment. ‎

You might consult with your OB GYN or your primary care physician, who can do a breast ‎biopsy which might help in proper diagnosis and treatment.‎

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Breast Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.