Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

My Mother has an Incisional Hernia- SERIOUS

User Profile
My mother (who is 54) had surgery for diverticulitis over two years ago. What she didn't know is they sewed her up wrong and the "lump" she had in her stomach, doctors said, was a result of the surgery and there was nothing they could do about it. Some time later, she visited another doctor about her bladder cancer and she noticed the lump and told her it was incredibly abnormal. It turns out she has a hernia- an incredibly serious one- that has now become so big that she requires surgery soon.

She went to see a doctor about this- a general surgeon- in hopes that'd he'd giver her some info AND a reccomendation. The surgeon told her that the surgery would be so risky that she would most likely die if she got it- and no, I'm not kidding. He said if she didn't make it out of the operating room, the mesh might be rejected by her body, which would require immediate surgery for that which would be so incredibly risky that it most likely would be impossible.

He told her strangulation was also inevitable, but that she shouldn't get surgery and instead try to "live with it" by wearing a brace the rest of her life. Basically, this doctor said my mother will die no matter what.

Now I don't know what to do. Everything I've read about the mesh only compounds what this doctor is saying, but the hernia is slowly getting bigger and strangulation is going to happen eventually. I'm very scared for her- I've dealt with her having major surgery (diverticulitis, the surgery that saved her life BUT caused this) and minor surgeries to stop the spread of her cancer. She has so many other health issues as well- she had a "mini-stroke" the other day, which may be an onset of emphesima (she smokes) and she has also had bleeding problems which could not be diagnosed.

Can someone just help me out? I know there are so many like me on this board, but she really isn't doing anything about this and just letting herself die. I can't take it. I never know when she might experience strangulation and potentially die that night. I keep thinking she'll die before the year is out and it's killing me because I'm incredibly close to her. Losing her suddenly at this point in my life (I'm only 22) would completely destroy me and my younger sister, to the point of mental instability on my part.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 10th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Incisional hernia are common complications after abdominal surgery.
It's true that its repair can be complicated surgery that poses some serious risks, but, this counts mostly for open abdominal surgery.
The repair is far more successful, less painful and with less complications when performed laparoscopic.
Since, the bulge is enlarged, there are greater chances for emergency complications (strangulation or incarceration).
Try to find a surgeon who is trained in hernia repair and is familiar with laparoscopic technique.

Best wishes for you and your family!
Marija
|

replied June 2nd, 2010
I've just had an incisional hernia (caused by a stoma, in turn caused by bowel cancer) repaired - a rather large one - and with mesh inserted. No problems, the lump is gone, and apart from it feeling a bit 'solid' where the mesh is, everything is back to normal. I had to have it done conventionally as I have too many adhesions from previous major surgeries. My husband also had a double hernia repaired with mesh about 5 years ago, and has had no problems at all.
|

replied June 2nd, 2010
I've just had an incisional hernia (caused by a stoma, in turn caused by bowel cancer) repaired - a rather large one - and with mesh inserted. No problems, the lump is gone, and apart from it feeling a bit 'solid' where the mesh is, everything is back to normal. I had to have it done conventionally as I have too many adhesions from previous major surgeries. My husband also had a double hernia repaired with mesh about 5 years ago, and has had no problems at all.
|

replied October 27th, 2010
Incisional hernia following diverticulitus surgery
Hi concernedJ
I received a similar diagnosis with my father yesterday, I wanted to perform some research and came across your reply. My dad had his diverticulitis surgery in April of this year... and now as an incisional hernia. The doctor said that if he can handle the discomfort that he should not have surgery.

What decision did you and your mother make?

Looking forward to your response.

concerneddaughter88
|