Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Getting Pregnant Forum

my luteal phase? All my mother told me is I would bleed...

Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
User Profile
Hello:
I'm 25 years old and untill recently had no idea there was so much involoved with a womans cycle. My husband and I are starting to try to concieve, but I have no idea when I ovulate or am fertile or anything. My periods are never at the same time every month. I tried to go to web sites and they had these charts, but they asked questions about stuff I've never heard of before. For instence the leangth of my luteal phase. What the heck is that? All my mother told me is that once a month I would bleed and be in a lot of pain for a few days, and never drink with midol or pamprin. I never knew there was much else to it. I need help, how do I know when I'm fertile and what are all these other phases and cycles I keep hearing about? And what is a basal temperature? I'm so confused.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 15th, 2011
Community Volunteer (online)
If you do not have problems getting pregnant, do not bother with all this. If you do have trouble, look at some of the tutorials on fertilityfriend (dot com). Or get a book like 'Taking Charge of Your Fertility, The Definitive Guide to Natural Birth Control, Pregnancy Achievement, and Reproductive Health' by Toni Weschler. Both of these will explain the complexities of your cycle and fertility.

In short, you ovulate between 12 and 16 days before your next menstruation (average about 4 days before). Your body gives you many signs when you are about to ovulate, very stretchy cervical mucus, a higher and softer cervix, and normally hornyness. Your basal body temperature (bbt) goes up just before ovulation. BBT is your temperatur just after you wake up, measured with a special themometer that are mpre accurate. The time between ovulation and menstruation is your LP (also called the two week wait -2ww if you are trying to get pregnant).

Best of luck TTC.
|

User Profile
replied September 16th, 2011
Thanx, that all sounds very complicated. I think I'll just stick to your advice and not mess with it all
|

User Profile
Thanx, that all sounds very complicated. I think I'll just stick to your advice and not mess with it all
|

Community Volunteer (online)
Sorry, I reread my reply. So many typo's Should be average 14 days, not 4 days.

Normally your period will not be the same time every month. You have to count the number of days your cycle lasts. The first day of your period is day 1. When your next period starts, you start ounting at 1 again. Write it down if you need to.

Do you know around how long your cycles are? They are normally not exactly the same length every month, but more or less in the range of 26 to 32 days. For a 28 day long cycle, you should have intercourse from about day 10 to day 17 of that cycle. You can have sex daily during that time, or every second day. Both should work just fine.

Your partner should not masturbate during that week, and you should make sure that you use a sperm friendly lube like PreSeed (if you need a personal lubricant). After he orgasmed, lay on your back for a few minutes (10 to 15) with your behind raised on a pillow to keep his semen inside you and close to your cervix. If you have your orgasm a few seconds or up to a minute after him, his sperm will travel quicker to your ovaries (it is not necessary for you to orgasm to conceive).

Your husband should stay away from tight pants and underwear, stay out of hot tubs and jaccuzis. Heat in his genitals makes him less fertile. You should also both reduce alcohol intake while tic.
|

User Profile
replied September 17th, 2011
Thanx for the info... that really does make more since then the 1st post. The hot tub thing is news to me, thats something we will have to start changing.
The only issue I have never had "regular" periods. I may have one last 2 days and then have another one 2 wks later that lasts 5 days. Or I may have one that lasts 2 weeks and then not have another one for a month and a half or two months. So should I still count to the 10 days or should I averege out several months and then start counting based on the 10-17 days?
|