Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Multiple Sclerosis Forum

my legs just won't listen to my brain

Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
i too am going through a very rough time . one doctor say's i have ms while one say's no both work together. strange systoms and i just don't know where to start. my legs are so very weak and i fall alot . my nerve conduction test was abnormal. and all 3 mri's were not normal but no white spots. i get dizzy double vision.. and feels like a motor running inside my body. can not stand on my tip toes and can't stand on my heels or lift either foot of the floor can't walk up steps or even up on a curb.this has been going on non stop since sept 2010 and tomorrow will be feb 1st 2011 and no answer's for me have no feeling in my right leg when shaving i cut my self deep as i can not tell that i am pressing hard with the razor. my legs feel numb hurt feels like the nerver conduction test like shock feeling. it kind of scares me as i am not getting answer's to anything. has anyone gone through this? any idea's here?as what i am going through... and, my legs feel as if i am dragging them so very tiring as i work. and my boss said if i don't stop falling they will have to fire me.very down .... here.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper RRMS97
|

replied February 1st, 2011
I know what you're going through. When my ms began to get really bad I fell alot. At work they told me to take medical leave even before I was diagnosed because they were afraid I would fall and hurt myself. Later figured out one trick was if I was bending down to pick something up,don't look down at it.Just keep looking at the wall.The pain in the legs I was told I had hyper-senstivity of the nerves. I would cut my self when shaving. When a neurologist asked me what my legs felt like, I told her they felt like what I had always imagined road rash felt like. And when our chocolate lab would hit my knee with her tail my leg would go out from under me.I use a walker sometimes and a cane most times.I was very lucky getting diagnosed but not getting treatment. Alls going well now on that front. MS is lonely. Noone wants to listen to your problems but they'll tell you about theirs. Good luck and I hope you have a support system. Call the national ms association and see if they can recommend a neurologist in your area.
|

replied February 4th, 2011
I was dx RRMS in 97. I currently have very similar to what u described for the last 2 months. I fell 3 times last Dec. The tingling and weakness on both of my legs are the worse. Plus on and off fatigue. Will your neurologist order a spinal tap? If ever you are dx with MS, please ask for medication called Ampyra to assist u in walking. Iam on it now and it seems to be helping my ambulation. I wish u well....I hope u can ask for medical leave while dealing with this problem.
|

replied February 4th, 2011
Reply to RRMS97 Do you have much trouble with the side efffects of Ampyra? And if you have insurance did they give you much trouble approving it? I was 4 months getting Lyrica approved. My second neurologist recommended Ampryra but I tend to suffer alot of the side effects without much benefit of the drugs.
|

replied February 9th, 2011
I had many of the same things in my legs as you are describing on my first major flare up pre dx-then had optic neuritis and was then sent for mri and dx-from then on if I touch my chin to my chest and feel a sensation down my spine I know its coming and have been for steroid infusions 3 times since dx with solumedrol,seems to really stave off the full blown flare ups and I also use copaxone-most of this is useless if they wont take a look at a spinal tap and see for certain you have ms,best wishes and I hope it is something else for you.
|

User Profile
replied April 11th, 2011
Experienced User
B12, Other Supplements and Go Raw!
I had many of the problems that you all are describing-muscle weakness, numbness, difficulty speaking and walking. fatigue etc. What I learned is that MS patients generally are deficient in vitamin B12. Taking 1200-5000 mcg / per day should be sufficient. Just be sure not to take it with coffee. I noticed improovements in about 2 weeks.

B12 plays an important role in the production of myelin, helps to maintain nerve function and modulates the immune system.

Other good supplements that I take include Vitamin D, B-complex, fish oil, black seed oil, MSM, and grape seed extract.

My diet is also very strict and extremely healthy, consisting of raws fruits, seed, nut, vegetables. This has also helped to get rid of all my symptoms without medications.

If you visit Youtube and type Raw food diet and Multiple Sclerosis, you will find Robert' story very motivating.
|

replied April 11th, 2011
Try acupuncture as well as the diet and supplements.
|