Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

My Jaw locks up when I try to eat

Ive had tmj for about a year now, and Im only 19 years old, but lately its seems to be getting worse. For most of that year my jaw would lock up very rarely and if it did it wouldnt be for very long but my jaw does always pop when I open it. But lately, it will lock up for sometimes up to 20 minutes, and usually when Im trying to eat. Is there any way to soothe it quickly and be able to open it.? It hurts quite a bit too.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 5th, 2010
Re: My Jaw locks up when I try to eat
hheyh222 wrote:
Ive had tmj for about a year now, and Im only 19 years old, but lately its seems to be getting worse. For most of that year my jaw would lock up very rarely and if it did it wouldnt be for very long but my jaw does always pop when I open it. But lately, it will lock up for sometimes up to 20 minutes, and usually when Im trying to eat. Is there any way to soothe it quickly and be able to open it.? It hurts quite a bit too.

Sounds like you have displaced both your discs. Did you have any trauma to cause this? You need to be evaluated ASAP. As for self help, when you feel it might get stuck,don't try and force it open, instead push your lower jaw forward, and then try slowly opening from that position.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: TMJ
Quick Reply