Medical Questions > Cancer > Leukemia Forum

My husbands blood work is abnormal ?

Must Read
Click here for basic info on leukemia, including diagnostic types and how doctors classify this disease of blood forming tissues....
Is leukemia inherited? Read here for more info on what causes leukemia and what environment risk factors or triggers you might avoid....
Leukemia can affect many parts of the body, including the organs of the cardiovascular and digestive systems. But what are the major symptoms of leukemia?...
He went to the dr because he had a flu that wasn't getting better. No fever but sore throat, cough, congested, achy, headache, diahrea. They gave him Zpack and he started to feel better but then started feeling worse again. They took blood and the dr called him and said they found a very low white blood cell count so they took it again and along with the low count they found and immature cells so she referred him to the hospital tomorrow for more blood work. Could it be leukemia? I'm freaking out. He says he thinks its nothing but you just don't have immature blood cells and low count for nothing. He has signs of leukemia with this flu that isn't getting better, tired, and now the abnormal blood count. I catch everything he has and didn't this time which makes me think it was due to his abnormal blood work and not just a common cold/flu. The dr also told him today to watch if he gets a fever and call right away if he does. Isn't that a red flag that something is seriously wrong? I read that fever is a bad sign with Leukemia. Does the dr already suspect this is what he has?
I know it is usually high white blood cell count but I read it can be low also. They also put him on meds just recently for high blood pressure....he does drink alot so not sure if that messes with blood work.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 20th, 2011
There are multiple causes for having a low white blood cell count (chronic alcohol abuse being one of them).

If your husband's blood smear shows immature white blood cells ("blasts"), then he may require a bone marrow biopsy to determine the cause of his abnormal blood count.

Sincerely,

Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

Author, "A Cancer Prevention Guide for the Human Race"

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Leukemia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.