Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

My girlfriend's vagina smells bad (Page 1)

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
I'm not comfortable talking to my girlfriend about this so I'm going to tell you what I know and hope I get some helpful advice.

I apologize if the way I describe this is too visual, but I don't know how else to explain my situation.

My girlfriend's vagina has a bad smell. It's hard to describe the exact smell but it is definitely fishy, and maybe even a bit like feces.

When I insert my finger deep enough into her vagina (palm upward) and curve it forward so that it's pressuring toward her pubic bone, I can feel bumps that are kind of soft but also kind of sharp, and they feel almost like slices as I slide my finger outward pressured along her vagina wall.

She's normally dry down there, but when she's horny it can get wet enough to soak through whatever she's wearing without either of us doing anything physically. This liquid is usually clear but sometimes it has milky fluid with tiny bubbles mixed with it. When she orgasms, there's noticeably more milky fluid.

I'm pretty sure she's not experiencing any itching or burning, but sometimes following sex she can experience soreness or irritation.

I'm concerned that she has a yeast infection/thrush or some kind of other infection, or worse some kind of STI/STD.

What does this sound like (if anything) to you?

I want her to get checked by a doctor, but I don't know how to tell her. How should I bring this up?

Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper bluepegasus84
|

replied July 11th, 2009
well... lol. i am female and sometimes these things happen. she most likely has some kind of infection if it has a strong smell to it. all women have discharge. that is completely normal. this is why alot of girls douche. but doing that doesnt take care of the problem. if the discharge is white and has a slight smell, that may be ok but if its a yellow/green color and alot more is coming out and smells real bad, she should def go get checked out and tested. its most likely just a infection. you should express your concern to her in a nice way and let her know you are worried. if she gets embarrassed, try to comfort her by telling her the human body does all kinds of weird things but they all have an explanation to what is happening to them. she SHOULD go see a doctor. and she should see one often. have her make an appointment with an ob-gyn. they can most likely give you all the answers and ease both your minds.
|

replied July 17th, 2009
Please take the above advice. She may also try keeping a diet diary to summise whether certain foods have an effect. Pork, beef and chemical additives can make a vagina taste bad. They may contribute to odor as well.
|

User Profile
replied July 17th, 2009
Supporter
bacterial vaginitis is possible i suffer from this and usually caused by hormonal imbalance. Im treating mine with balance active ph its a weeks course and i find a huge difference.I purchased mine from pharmacy.
|

replied July 19th, 2009
If it smells bad its bacterial vaginosis,a vaginal imbalance of good/bad bacteria, U should probabally tell her THAT YOUR penis has been smelling and ask her if shes noticed anything weird then suggest u look it up together if she says yes and it should pop up online what it is,if she goes to the doctor they will give her metronidazole most likely but I would say get used to it because all girls have some sort of smell down there and it will most likely come back hey sex is not clean
|

replied August 14th, 2009
Infection or Normal ?
I have the same problem.My vagina has hard/soft not bumps but it's feels like skin or tissues.It smells like bowel movements all the way inside of my vagina,and when I get wet it comes out fishy.I have no discharge but when I'm wet my panties have brown stains.I dont know what this is either and I dont want to go to the doctor.If you find any other way or info about these problem please write me !!
|

replied June 12th, 2011
HELP?!
Hey I have just started having this same exact problem...brown liquid discharge and my vag smells like feces...im just scared ive never had anything like this happen, im 17.. have you found anything out? can you help me.. lol
|

replied August 8th, 2011
Look up lost tampon if you haven't gone to doc already. Just happened to me. Exact symptoms...

http://www.docgurley.com/2008/10/24/the-pr emiere-of-the-lost-tampon-video/
|

replied January 21st, 2012
I was doing a lil reading up on this, and there is a condition where a small opening can be present between the rectum and vagina and feces can get through. You need to see a doctor for the treatment if that is it, but donw be sfraid, they have seen it all and they are there to help. This is what they went to school for. It is not because you are unhygenic, it is a condition, and it is so much better to go, suffer a lil embarrassment, then get better in a week or two, than suffer in silence for a long time.
|

replied September 2nd, 2009
Alone101, I know it's easier said than done, but please consider going to the doctor. It's their job to look at this kind of stuff everyday so it's not at all unusual for them. Tell your doctor exactly what you told us. Everything you tell your doctor remains confidential.

I have a question for you: Have you been or are you currently sexually active?

Please let me know if you go to the doctor or find anything out. I will do the same for you. Thanks!
|

replied September 10th, 2009
Sounds like Trichomonas - characteristic by a milky discharge that is bubbly and causes irritation. Even though it will be uncomfortable you need to get your girlfriend to see a doctor. If it is tricomonas, it can be cured in as little as one dose of prescribed medication. Regardless, it could be a sign of something really serious, so encourage her to check it out. Good luck!
|
Users who thank qwerty13579 for this post: azbycx 

replied September 21st, 2009
Re: Infection or Normal ?
Alone101 wrote:
I have the same problem.My vagina has hard/soft not bumps but it's feels like skin or tissues.It smells like bowel movements all the way inside of my vagina,and when I get wet it comes out fishy.I have no discharge but when I'm wet my panties have brown stains.I dont know what this is either and I dont want to go to the doctor.If you find any other way or info about these problem please write me !!

I know how you feel...but trust me! you will feel so much better if you just go. You can always buy one of the over the counter pH tests. It wont treat it, but atleast you'll know. I had these symptoms for 3 years! but after 4 days on an antibiotic it went completely away! trust me...doctors have seen WAYYYYY worse!
|

User Profile
replied September 26th, 2009
Supporter
vagina should always smell ok unless there is an infection if it doesn't smell ok then make sure if the smell from the exterior skin or if it is from the inside when sticking your finger inside smell the discharge if it has a bad smell then there is an infection but if it has no smell at all then there is no infection but the bad smell is due to the skin surround the vagina because of some sort of fungi since the area is dark and wet when going to the bath a women should wash with water and dry the area rub the places that are bended to clean it with water and then dry it to make sure its clean and dry this case you would prevent any type of fungi or yeast on skin that produce bad odor more over the vagina should be washed only with water or a vaginal wash 2 times a day max avoid perfumed napkin or spray . add honey or yogurt to to treat yeast or bacterial infection and wash with salt water the high concentration of salt in water kills bacteria the high concentration of honey kills the microbes too yogurt has some sort of bacteria that balance the normal flora in the vagina.
some times after sex the vagina get injured specially when it is dry so it is easy to get infections
men should treat them self too to avoid bing bong infection which is when a women treats her self and the male doesn't he would get it back to her even if he doesn't have symptoms
|
Users who thank mariah79 for this post: 4ROONG 

User Profile
replied March 18th, 2013
DO NOT USE HONEY!!

sugar feeds yeast! never put anything sweet on or in your vagina!!

yogurt is ok to use as well as other natural methods like tea tree oil, garlic, boric acid, grapefruit seed oil, and sugar free cranberry juice. drinking LOTS of water helps too.

no sweet stuff tho seriously. lol you will regret it.
|

replied June 10th, 2013
ok but then how should a vagina smell? what is an ok smell? sometimes i also have a bad odor and whitish on my panties sometimes after showering i dry myself and get dressed then a few min after that the smell is back its like i don't want to go anywhere because i am scared the smell might be very strong and others will smell it to and keep their distance from me its an smell i cant really describe maybe its the ok smell you were talking about. i mean my roomiest hasn't said anything maybe its just me that can smell it, please give me some advice,.... will the vingre or salt not burn if i wash myself with it???
|

replied October 6th, 2009
My girlfriend has the same problem, but it is only after we have sex. She lives in Thailand right now, and I am in the states. When we are apart, she has no smell, but also is not having sex. We are not sure if it is me that has the bacteria and I keep giving it to her?? If so, does anyone know what medications I could take to clear it, or will a doctor know what to prescribe? Thanks
|

replied December 21st, 2011
If yuuu c** in her ,her vagina is gonna smell for a few days after.
|

User Profile
replied October 6th, 2009
Supporter
hello,
first chick what type of infection by going to your physician there are many type of infection and each one of them has his own medications. if the penis has a tear skin at the edge it might be fungi there is some antifungal ointment on the shelve of any pharmacy . in the other hand some women have some sort of allergies from some sort of condoms they are made from the same type of rubber that the gloves are made of if any how her skin is irritated when ever she wears the rubber gloves which used in examination or laboratories or even house work then she might has an allergy against most condoms thats why she gets infection after every sexual contact using condom. she needs to use a specific type of condom. but infection should be identified first before any treatment.
|

replied October 22nd, 2009
I have the same problem! I use a cotton ball and put viniger on it and that amolst get rid of the smell for a few days.
|

replied November 4th, 2009
I would listen to the Trichomonas advice.. sounds like that's what it is. I've heard about it a couple of times. I'd very sensitively and sweetly advise her to get checked out and easily treated for it. (planned parenthood??) It would probably make everyone all better.~
|

replied December 19th, 2009
if you have sex while theyre vagina stinks can the male catch anything?? if its just a vagina infection?
|

replied April 10th, 2011
yep you sure can, men can catch most infections that a vagina can catch, most bacteria or virus do not discriminate because of sex, so it may sound funny, but women have yeast infections, and men can catch them, not only on their penis but in their mouths as well

|

replied January 18th, 2010
Hello everyone
It sounds like your girlfriend has got bacterial vaginosis its not contagious.
It can literally be caused by anything using a fragrant soap down there !

I really think you should have spoken to her about it believe me she defiantly knows she has something wrong with her but she is to embarrassed to say anything
if you ever feel a concern about anything sexual or sexual problems the best thing to do is to talk to one another about it feel comfortable with one another Smile

I have experienced bacterial vaginosis it is at its worse after you have had sex smell becomes very strong i was subscribed anti biotics!
It was gone after 3 days

Hope this helped x
|

replied January 23rd, 2010
I liked veronica672 responce. My ex-girlfriend had a serious issue with bacterial vaginosis. I was always to afraid to talk with her about it in fear that she would hate me for it. I typicaly have a high sex drive, but the smell would just kill it for me. My fingers would smell bad for about 24 hours after, about the same as when you cut an onion and your hand smells like onion for about a day, even after washing it real good. The two years we were together, we very rarely had sex because the smell was such a turn off. I loved this girl very much. I loved her more than any women I have ever been with. She broke up with me and moved out because she wasn't feeling wanted. I wish that I would have had the balls to talk with her about it, but I just couldn't think of a tactful way of doing it. Now I am feeling lonely and depressed from being dumped all becuase of that. After we broke up, I finally had the balls to talk with her about it. I mentioned that she should start using this crystal deoderant that you can buy at the health food store. I use it on my pits and it works like a miracle. It is not like normal deodorant. It is just like rubbing a real crystal on your skin. She started to use it and sure enough it worked. We started having the best sex I have ever had, but it was too late. She fell out of love with me because of it. We dragged it on for about 6 months, but she couldn't fall back in love with me after me ignoring her sexually for 2 years. I wish I would have asked her if she thought my penis smelled bad the next day after sex. I know it would have smell very bad. If my fingers smelled bad the next day, I know my penis would have smell horible. Maybe then she would have figured it out.
|

replied March 18th, 2010
Simple solution. If your vagina smells go see a doctor. I did. And all they do is give you some pills and you take them and you are better. It's not a big deal. They see all kinds of horrible things so an odor is nothing. If your gf vagina stinks. Tell her. It may be hard but you should. My bf told me. I was embarrassed but atleast he told me. And now if there is ever anything wrong I go get checked and my bf is the first person i talk to about it.
|

replied June 26th, 2010
fishy vaginal odor-gardnerella vaginitis, trichomoniasis
The fishy smell is from an overgrowth of gardnerella bacteria. Vaginal odor, itching, and irritation are common signs of BV and may be particularly noticeable after intercourse or menses. An unpleasant, fishy odor is common. Vaginal irritation and odor may be accompanied by a smooth, sticky white or gray discharge 4 days to 4 weeks following exposure.

Antibiotics such as metronidazole and clindamycin are generally prescribed

If reinfection continues to recur, the male partner may have to be treated as well.

Trichomoniasis-Symptoms generally appear 4 to 20 days after infection. Women may experience a profuse, frothy, yellow-green or gray vaginal discharge, sometimes with bleeding, an unpleasant vaginal odor, and vulvovaginal itching and discomfort. Painful and frequent urination, vulvovaginal swelling, discomfort during sexual intercourse, and abdominal pain may also occur.
Doctor will take a swab of vaginal fluid. Takes 10 days for culture to show positive or negative for trich.
Metronidazole (Flagyl®) and tinidazole (Tindamax®) are used to treat trichomoniasis.

So if you have gardnerella vaginitis or trichomoniasis, metronidazole will treat both of these.

Another cause of frothy, bubbly discharge is chlamydia
|

replied August 14th, 2010
I have the same kind of thing but im 13 and im raher scared to be honest i dont want to tell anyone and really dont want to go to the doctors please can someone give me advice!
|
12 >>
Quick Reply