Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

my girlfriend might be bulimic

Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
hi,
my girlfriend for awhile now has been going through alot this year, and she used to have bulimia from 6-9th grade but told me she stopped. Now, i think she is starting again. We were at a party, and there were a few ppl who threw up because of alcohol, but she threw up, and told her friend that she just ate more than she wanted to. And now more recently, im noticing more and more that she goes to the bathroom after meals and turns the fan on and comes out chewing gum.
i need advice to go about talking to her about it and how to handle it.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Anastasia21
|

replied March 12th, 2012
some one pls reply i was just with her and i was sort of listening as she went to the bathroom, she was throwing up. im worried for her, she used to be so depressed and almost kiled her self. i dont want her going back to that
|

User Profile
replied March 18th, 2012
You seem like a great boyfriend. I would talk to her about it in private but NOT after she has come out of the bathroom, NOT during a meal, and NOT right before or after eating. Say something like, "how are you?" but in a very serious tone and looking directly in her eyes and let there be a long pause before and after she answers. If she just says "I'm fine" or something of that sort, tell her you want her to know she can tell you anything and that you know she's been under a lot of stress lately and that you want to be there for her. Verbally affirming this is always encouraging even if she already knows you are. ...
|

User Profile
replied March 18th, 2012
If that doesn't work, wait a week and then try confronting her again in the same manner but more directly, like "I heard you throwing up last night after dinner, is everything ok?"

I hope that helps some. Confronting someone is difficult but very important.
|