Medical Questions > Relationships > Family Relationships Forum

My father is an alcoholic..he now has brain damage

I am 24 years old and have been struggling my entire life with home stability. My dad and I were always close but he was always drunk..i grew up with my mother who abused me emotionally and neglected me. At 17 I met this guy.. he has been in and out of my life for the past seven years..He is emotionally abusive and very neglectful. So now I am back living with my father..again. I dropped out of highschool and now i wish i hadn't. All I want is a fresh start and a chance to get my life in order. Go get my ged and then to college. My father loves me but because of his history with alcohol he now has seizures and brain damage..he says a lot of mean things to me and never listens to what i say anymore..he's just gone now. Not the same. I have so much pain in my heart and i don't know how to cope with this. My dad was my person.. no matter what i always had him if I needed him..now i feel so alone and angry. i'm angry at him for drinking his life away. At the same time I want to help him and be here for him..its painful and complex i need some support and good advice..
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 15th, 2010
If I were in your situation, I would start building a support network to help you be strong. There is a lot coming up in life that will be a struggle for you, but that's no reason not to try! Go to the local Community College and apply for student loans, get enrolled to do the GED and then get into classes there. You also can get some counseling from the college or maybe from a church near where you live. I have heard of people going to Al-Anon, or another group for children of alcoholics, and sometimes that's really helpful. It sounds to me like you have the right ideas, and need to just take the steps to get your goals accomplished, little by little. You see, when you are able to look back and see you have made improvements in life, that you are setting and meeting goals, IT MAKES YOU STRONGER! You also become more confident because you have PROVEN to yourself that you have value and worth ... that you are ABLE! Once you gain that self respect, you'll have a much better eye for a good guy to date, and you won't keep finding yourself turning to some a$$ hat that wants to abuse and hurt you. I wish you all the best, good luck!
|

replied July 19th, 2010
Alcoholic Parent questions
Hi Everyone,

I have an Alcoholic Parent too. I�m on this site to try to find help but I�m not even sure what I�m looking for.

Do any of you know what you are looking for?

What is it that people with an Alcoholic Parent want to know?

What is it that we want to learn or know how to do?

Please help!! At least then I can search directly for what I�m looking for.

Thanks! =)
|

replied September 22nd, 2010
ALCHOHOLIC FATHER
I am 22 years old and a single mother. my dad is an alchohlic as well, he has seizures if he stops drinking. he is immune to it. thank god i dont live with him or else i would have some one else to take care of. i lived with my mom my whole life but my dad was always in my life. ever since i could remember he drank. now time has come where i have decided that if he doesnt get help i will no longer speak to him and if i do i will only tell him to get the help he deserves. he cant control his bowel movements, malurished, very forgettful, confused, and most likely has jaundice. hes at the end of his rope. sad to say. i h8 seeing him drink 2 death. it not only hurts but he will not be able to meet his grand daughter until he is sober. im not asking what i can do to get help. i want my dad to get help. ive tried intervention. they didnt call me. just emailed me saying they would if they were interested. i dont know what to do but i cant live witht he fact that he can prevent any disease or death from alchohol
|