Medical Questions > Parenting > Toddlers Forum

1 year old won't gain weight

Must Read
Minor and more serious burns account for over 2 million doctor visits each year. But what is a burn? And what happens to the skin when it gets burned?...
Why are children at risk of burns? And what agents can cause the skin to burn? More on causes of skin burns and risk factors you can avoid here....
When should you seek medical help for a skin burn? We review common symptoms of burned skin as well as symptoms of airway burns here....
My daughter is 1 years old and she only weighs 17 pounds. What could be wrong? The doctors don't even know what is wrong with her. Can someone please help me out. Confused
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Soon2B2
|

User Profile
replied March 11th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Hello and welcome to ehealth. Does she drink milk/fomula? Are you or hubby small?
|

User Profile
replied March 14th, 2008
Supporter
That isn't an unhealthy weight for 12 months. My daughter is 20 months and only weighs 21 pounds. The doctor said although it's small for her age, it's not unhealthy or uncommon.
|

replied March 17th, 2008
Light doesn't mean unhealthy
My daughter was about 18 lbs when she turned one, in fact she was close to two before I was able to turn her around in her car seat. Where is she on the doctors growth chart? Our doc always said that as long as they are in the "normal" range, and showing some growth in either weight or height with each checkup, then they are probably fine. He coined my daughter as "petite", and she was always down in the 5-9% percentile of the charts. She just turned 3 in Febuary and she is still only 26 pounds. But she is healthy and happy. My 10 month old, by comparison, is already 20 pounds. They were brought up with the same formula and foods. I wouldn't worry unless she falls significantly off the growth charts.
|

replied August 8th, 2008
My 1 year old weighs 18 pounds and our doctor said he was in the 10th percentile which is still fine. We feed him a lot. But he doesnt gain weight. The doctor said he is just a very active little boy. He is always running around everywhere so I believe it burns a lot off of what he eats.So if ur little one is just pretty active that could be why your baby is on the thinner side like my son. I believe theyre perfectly healthy. As long as they get enough to eat and theyre not all skin and bones I think theres nothing wrong and some babies are just skinny. just like some adults are skinnier than others, everyones different, its the same concept.
|

replied April 13th, 2012
my daughter is 15 months old and she is only 17 pounds and i am worried for her. She loves breast milk but she eats other things but only what she likes. She is very picky She is slim and people always compare their 3 month old babies to her because they're probably fatter. When i go to the clinic, the check up shows that she grew in height but not in weight. I do not know what to do or what's wrong!
|

replied August 8th, 2008
Experienced User
Hi, I don't think you need to worry. My son weighed 15 kg (I know it's a lot more)
for about three years and only started gaining then. My sister's little girl also weighs so little, she's lighter than her brother who's two years younger (she's 5) and some baby clothes (12 to 18 months) still fit her!! She also went for tests and stuff, and they couldn't find anything wrong.
|

replied November 10th, 2009
what can i do to get her to gain more weight?
My daughter just turned one and i am worried about her weight she eats healthy and still not over 20LB what can i give her to gain more weight, do i give her less naps or what, Please help me
|

replied November 13th, 2009
Don't worry.. My doctor put us through torture with my son because he was tiny.. He is one and weighs 19lbs. She sent us to get all different test done like siliac, cystic fibroses and acid reflux along with blood work for everything else. Everything came back perfect. The doctors will make you worry. My son has been walking/running since he was 10 1/2 months old and he also started crawling before he was 6 months old. He eats alot and drinks his milk. So we have decided to enjoy him and stop worring about it. He is healthy and active. The doctor also never took in to consideraqtion that when I was 5 years old I only weighed 28lbs and wore a size 3x. So don't worry about their weight as long as they are healty and active. Just enjoy your child...
|

replied December 28th, 2009
If height is on the same centile as weight then there probably isn't any cause for concern and the child is naturally petite. I have twin boys who are nearly 3 years 1 month... one is fairly petite and on the 9th centile for weight, but also height. His identical twin however weighs just under 20 lbs. His height is almost touching underneath the 0.4th centile and his weight is miles below it. He has been clinically diagnosed with Russell Silver Syndrome.
If weight seems to be a real problem then make sure it is investigated until you are happy with the outcome.
|

replied December 28th, 2009
hi im daughter is 2 and a half when she was 1 years old she was under weight. doctors said its normal for children not to eat well and to be very fussy. just take ur time try new and different foods. see was your child loves to eat. dont give to many bottles of milk as bottles make them full and bloated so they dont want to eat.i know its hard to just want them to eat i understand.
|

replied January 3rd, 2010
my son is 1 and weighs 19lbs he is little and so am i. we went round the houses trying to find out what was wrong with him because looking at him compared to toddlers his age he is quite small.
His father is tall and seth is above percentile in height, we even had a doctor tell us he was malnutritioned which was upsetting so we went to a paediatric physician and found there was absolutely nothing wrong with my son and he is perfectly healthy in everyway, so my advice is dont take one, two or three doctors opinions if it doesn't feel right then seek some other advice
|

replied April 8th, 2010
My gf''s son is approx 18 months and he can''t weigh more than 25 lbs. My son is about 28 months old and he''s gotta b 45 lbs or so. My son is quite muscular and strong bc both me and his mother have prototypical mesomorph body types. I dnt think any1 has answered the original question yet. I understand that having a "petite" child is not a bad thing, but it seems like common sense that if they''re not getting enough calories and nutrients that it will inevitably affect that child''s growth. We want our boys to b athletes bc we kno the joy and fullfillment that they''ll get from competing and succeeding in sports if they choose. I''m concerned w/ my gf (who I''m engaged to) not finding a solution bc I kno she worries about it. Does any1 have any tricks to stimulate our little guy''s appetite??? That''s the only question we have. I''m very educated when it comes to nutrition, so I kno it''s all about calories. It seems like he can''t possibly meeting his caloric requirements to keep up w/ others his age. Any advice would b greatly appreciated.
|

replied April 8th, 2010
Hi MemphisDad,
The only thing I know that stimulates appetite is something not prescribed in the UK but I think they do in the US. Called Periactin...used frequently I think in children with Russell Silver Syndrome.
No, nothing wrong with being petite if its in your genes. If both parents are small/average then you''re not going to get a tall/beefy child out of them.
As I said before if height and weight are both in the same place on the centiles then it is likely that that is just where the child is meant to be. No point trying to stuff them with calories as they will just get fat.
If the child IS a poor eater though and underweight for their height then the dietitians recommend putting lots of cream into your cooking, high cal puddings etc.
|

replied April 28th, 2010
my daughter is 22 months and weights 20lbs. Her doctor stated they like to see a weight gain of 5lbs a year. She has been going every 3 months for weight checks and in 6 months has gained 40oz. She eats all the time and we have been adding sour cream, cheese, ect to her food to boost calories. Now, we are giving her pediaSure for 2 months. If that does not help the doctor stated they will start some testing such as metabolic.
|

replied July 17th, 2010
weight gain
My son is 20 months old and weights about 22lbs. Does pediasure really help in the weight gain process if so i am definately going to buy him some.
|

replied August 24th, 2010
The nutritionist gave me a can of duocal which is a fat and carb supplement that you add to foods, works great in drinks and mac& cheese, she also gave me boost kids drink boxes which have TONS of calories and I thik 9 grams of fat. My daughter is 0% in weight and 76% in height, she eats great, drinks juices, wont touch milk. She still wants to nurse, which the drs have pretty much told me my milk must be junk, but I think since i have cut down the nursing she has grown less. They want to do a scope of her upper GI, I dont think they will find anything, I rather they do an MRI of her neck, because her father has Chiari Malformation and I assume if there is an issue it must be linked to that cause it can be genetic.
|

replied November 17th, 2011
My son is 12 months old and 15 pounds 8 ounces he is only gaining a couple ounces every few month. His doctor is cuncerned so she just put him on Pediasure im going to see how it works
|

replied May 15th, 2013
My two kids are small my three year old is 27lbs my one year old is 13lbs. Pediasure is 30cals per ounce so it is more calories than formula and whole milk. Adding cheese, full fat yogurts, sourcream, skim milk powder, butter too everything that babes eats is also supposed to help. Peanut butter is also very fattening. It's hard to gain weight if they have allergies to dairy or nuts Sad as long as your children are following their curve there's no worry it's when they fall off their curve there is concern
|

replied September 30th, 2013
My daughter is two and she weighed 3.08kg at birth at two she was 14 kg. she eats, active but the clinic was worried about her weight and im not sure if must be worried too.
|
Tags: weight
Quick Reply