Medical Questions > Relationships > Family Relationships Forum

My dad is making me depressed!

Hi, I am 22 years old and in need of help. I live on my own but have to get help from my parents to make ends meet. I work as much as possible but I only have one part time job right now. I have been trying for the past year to get a full time job or another part time job, but no one will hire me. My mother is very very stingy with giving me money and normally I have to loan it from her. Which would be fine if she actually gave me enough to make my ends meet. My father is on fixed income so I hate the idea of taking money from him, but he is always asking me if I need money, and I can't lie to him. The problem started a few years ago. My dad was diagnosed with having a failing liver. When I heard this I became so extremely depressed that I found whatever outlet would take my mind off of it. That outlet was gambling. I spent all my savings, my stock, and then I moved on to his money. I have been trying like hell to pay him back but something is always coming up. He has been on a steady spiral of clinical depression for the past several years but he also has some normal days. When it comes time for my rent to be due, I am usually a little short. He gives me some money then I pay him back within a week or two. But this month was different. I am taking a trip for spring break to south padre. I was misled about some of the payment information so I had to borrow a couple hundred dollars from him to pay my rent. He instantly started yelling at me about how I never pay him back and something always comes up. I knew he was in a foul mood so I didn't argue with him I just left because I had already explained to him that I would pay him back what I had to borrow plus some in march when my pell grant comes through. Am I being greedy or irrational? I would like to think that I am doing the best I can. I know that this trip is probably not the best idea financially, but I see it as a once in a lifetime opportunity. I know that when I see him again his mood will probably have changed, but it doesn't change the way I feel now. I can't stand the thought of him being upset with me I love him and it just kills me inside. Any thoughts or advice?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 4th, 2009
it's ridiculous the troubles that money causes. i hate money so i would say go on the trip have some fun enjoy your life or at least this one opportunity. just try to save and save to pay them back as much as you can.. or just move back in with your family if thats an option?
|
Did you find this post helpful?