Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

My Boyfriend is Bulemic.

Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
He recently opened up to me and told me that he has been throwing up after meals. I asked him why, and he says it helps him lose weight (although he's very thin) and it helps him relieve stress. He said he's been doing it for a few months, and he can't stop. When I asked him if he wanted to stop, he replied with, "I don't even know. It works for me." HE won't admit that he's bulimic. I expressed my concern for him and my disapproval with this, but I know I can't force him to stop. He is afraid that I'm going to leave him because of this, or I'm going to tell someone. I'm trying to be supportive and loving, but I'm scared. No matter how much I convince him that he's perfect the way he is, he still thinks he needs to do this.
My problem here isn't how to help someone with bulimia, its how to help someone realize that they need help. I want him to get medical and professional help. How should I go about this without breaking his trust?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 8th, 2011
Community Volunteer
Hi BeatNotBroken and welcome to ehealth: I don't know if you can...He must want to change...Right now he is on a high in life...He thinks he has found the way to stay thin yet enjoy all the goodies in life...How about trying to tell him about the problems that this will cause his heart in years to come...The possibility of his choking to death...The damage it is doing to his teeth and gums...The fact that he will loose his hair...These are just a few things that will occur plus the fact that in time his body will reject what he is doing and the weight will not come off as he wishes...

I would say to try these...He is on a bad trip in life...He has to change, but also must want to do it...I wish you well...Take care...

Caroline

P.S. He needs professional help....
|
Did you find this post helpful?