Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

my black cloud has returned! Graves or PND?

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
User Profile
i have suffered chronic depression in the past, I gave birth in August of 2010, and in Feb 2011 I was diagnosed with Thyrotoxicosis and Graves Disease. I put my exhaustion down to a newborn, but my weight loss was the clue something was not right. I am now having thoughts that I had several years ago of self harm etc. I know I am 'falling' and I also know I need help. My question is, how can I tell if I have PND, if my black cloud has returned or if it is the Graves disease that is making me feel this way? Most of the symptoms of Depression I have, yet a lot of them are also symptoms of Graves.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied March 8th, 2011
Depression Answer A20502
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the Postpartum depression (PPD) and Grave’s disease. You also made a mention of chronic depression in the past.
Graves' disease can lead to severe emotional disorders and can affect your mood causing either anxiety or depression. Generally, the more severe the thyroid disease, the more severe the mood changes.
In your case, depression symptoms might be due to PPD. PPD may or may not go away without treatment.Treatment for PPD can reduce the length of suffering and its severity. Various treatment options include:
•Medical evaluation to rule out physiological problems
•Cognitive behavioral therapy (a form of psychotherapy)
•Possible drug medication
•Support groups
•Home visits/Home visitors
•Healthy diet
•Consistent/healthy sleep patterns
You must consult your personal physician to develop a treatment plan that is right for you. This plan may include any combination of the above options, and might include some discussion or feedback from your partner.
So you must consult your personal physician for the proper diagnosis and its treatment as the same cannot be made online.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Depression , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.