Medical Questions > Abortion > Medical Abortion Forum

My abortion pill experience

Must Read
A D&C is a standard procedure. But it can be scary when you don't know what to expect. Learn about what happens during dilation and curettage to prepare yoursel...
Dilation and curettage, or D & C for short, is a procedure that is used to diagnose and treat a number of womens health conditions. What are some goals of a D a...
A D&C usually is free of problems, and the recovery period for the procedure is short. But knowing about possible complications can help you detect problems ea...
Hi all! Before I begin to tell you my experience with medical abortion (the abortion pill) I would like to kindly ask that no judgments be made against me or my actions. Thank you Smile

I am a healthy 24 year old woman. I was told years ago that I have poly-cystic ovary syndrome and that getting pregnant would be nearly impossible for me to do without medical intervention. My periods were never regular and I was uncomfortable going on any form of birth control to regulate my cycles. (I have always been a little overweight and assumed I was at a much higher risk for blood clots, etc.) My boyfriend and I use condoms and spermicide whenever having sex. Well... nothing is 100% and I found out I was pregnant about 2 weeks ago. I have having extreme nausea and mood swings. I thought I had the flu at first. Then my breasts started to hurt. I got 3 boxes of at home pregnancy tests and they were ALL positive. I freaked out firstly because I never thought it possible for me to get pregnant, secondly because I feel I am too young to bring a child into this world. I can barely afford my apartment now with just me living it - I can't support a baby! Anyway, I made an appointment a clinic to confirm the pregnancy.. and after much thinking I made a very difficult choice and decided to abort the baby. I am in no way ready to raise a child, neither is my boyfriend. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be having an abortion in my life, but sometimes life throws you curve balls. I've always been pro-choice so...

At the clinic I took a urine/blood test to confirm the pregnancy. They were both positive. Then the APRN gave me a vaginal ultrasound and determined that I was 6.5 weeks pregnant. They made me watch a video on medical abortion and then answered any questions I had. The APRN then led me into a room where she said I could take all the time I needed before swallowing the first pill, Mifeprex. I didn't want to wait so I just took it and chugged it down with a bottle of water. She handed me a packet of things I would need to buy for at home and 3 prescriptions to fill at the pharmacy. (Pain pills, anti-nausea pills, and birth control pills to start later in the week) Directly from the clinic I was given 4 Misoprostol tablets and a 7 day supply of anti-biotics.

I had to wait 24 hours until I was able to insert the 4 Misoprostol tablets between my gums and my cheeks. I won't go into detail about instructions because I'm not sure if they are the same for everyone. I will give my advice though.... take the pain and anti-nausea pills before taking the 4 Misoprostol pills!!! I had EXTREME nausea from being pregnant and this anti-nausea pill really helped me be able to handle the 4 Misoprostol's. And make sure you EAT at least an hour before taking these pills! I could hardly hold anything down but I forced myself to eat crackers and some cashews. Okay blah blah blah after the 30 minutes of letting them "soak" into my cheeks I swallowed the rest and waited. Here may I suggest that you DON'T lay down - sit on the couch or on your bed so your back is against something. If you lay down you're making it more difficult for your uterus to push out the tissue - whereas if you're sitting (or standing) gravity will help it come out easier. I sat down and felt fine for the first hour - nothing weird just some period like cramps. The blood started to come out about 45 mins after taking the pills. Some more cramping in the next 2-3 hours which got a little intense but nothing i couldn't manage. I was so grossed out when the first clot came out - it didn't hurt - it just felt really really slimy and gross. I believe I used the bathroom about 4-5 times where clots were passed that I could feel. After I was done passing the tissue I felt a lot better. I didn't throw up or have problems with pooping (lol), my biggest "side effect" was being exhausted! I didn't want to lay down because I wanted this experience to be over ASAP, so I sat on a pillow on the couch and leaned on the armchair. I fell asleep for about 2 hours. My mom came over to check on me that night and brought me some soup. I would also highly suggest that you eat throughout the process if you can handle it - I noticed when I got hungry and my tummy would grumble it hurt a little. eat some crackers or toast. And drink plenty of water as well. I took my pills at noon and my appetite came back around 6pm. I ordered a pizza and ate the whole thing by myself.. LOL

Don't forget to take your antibiotics and to go to your followup visit! Today is the day after my medical abortion. I feel very good, my body tolerated it well. Emotionally I am stable because I know in my heart it was the best thing to do. I am drinking a lot of fluids like water, tea, and Poweraid. I did notice a little bit of a foul odor when I went to the bathroom earlier... so I am going to throw in some yogurt into my diet this week. (I usually get yeast infections from antibiotics, ew!)

My last bit of advice to the girls who are about to go through this is .... relax. It is not an easy choice to make but you know the right thing to do in your heart. Take care of your body and if you're feeling down about it talk to someone you can trust. I was so scared to go through this, mainly scared of pain and throwing up, but if you stay calm and try not to let your mind run away with itself you will be fine. If you pray then pray for strength, if you don't pray then center and ground yourself.

Much love to everyone out there!!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ladyluck37
|
Users who thank ladyluck37 for this post: AppleM  rowingalong  RaeSaldivar  CartersMom67  TigerLily419 

replied March 30th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy

replied February 10th, 2012
Medical termination abortion pill
Hi,
I'm 25 years old and I have 2 children one boy one girl. One is 4 and the other is two. Olive them very much. Their father and I have been together on and off for about 12 years now . I found out I was pregnant one December 21 2011. We are not financialy stable enough to have the two kids we have now let alone another one. It took me awhile to decide what to and just having to think about other options killed me mentally and emotionally. But I knew what was the best thing to do for the children I have now. I want to give them a better chance at having a better life than I did so we I decided to have a medical termination. I was 8 from lmp and 6 week from conception. The day off the appointment. I went had an ultrasound and took a pill in the office with a sugar drink not sure what it was. Two day later at home I inserted 4 pills in to my ( whoha) . About 2 hours later cramps came . 3 hours into I spotted a little blood. The cramps hurt a lot I had no pain mess but aleve. IT HURT!!! An hour after that I was in the shower feeling like I couldn't take anymore hoping it didn't get worse . I had pressure pushing down in my front and my back end (if you know what I mean) and then after sitting in the bottom of my shower for ten min I stood up and out came Sad . Now I posting this for women who will or are going through this and the unknown thoughts of what to expect or just the craziness we feel when us women have to go through this eat us alive cause it did me and I was surfing the net looking for clues of what happens just to know if what I went through was ok or not.. So anyway... I stood up and a clear jelly sac came out Sad about the size of a golf ball:( I didn't look in it but I knew what it was. Right after the cramps were gone . I had some bleeding like a period with little specs of tissue but no clots. For the next few days I expelled the lining u can tell its lining. It got lighter and lighter and by my 2 week check I wasn't bleeding alil discharge but nothing else (tan in color) My body
Was ok and nothing else need to be done. I got my period by week three. It was pretty normal. Mentally scared forever. Even if I did it for my little one I love with all of me . Scared forever . You have to be strong if this is what you choose. It can ruin you if you let it. I pray I'm forgiven. I know I will never forgive myself for putting myself in that situation. But I had to do it for my babies. I have to protect them. I learned my lesson and will never do it again. Take birth control use condoms anything to protect your self and a being that didn't ask to be created and then taken out. I will never be the same and women who don't do this all the time wont be either but we can keep it together just be strong and do it for a reason more than for yourself if you have to Do it. Good luck to you women and I hope this helps someone
|

replied April 15th, 2012
Hi, I`m 37, I have 3 children and I recently used Abortion Pill, because my health issues. The first pill I had to use at the doctor`s office and the second next day at home.
30 min before I ate the second pill I took all the painkillers and ATB as I was advised by the doctor.
After the first pill I didn`t feel any different at all.
After the second pill I felt discomfort, but no pain, nor cramping. Nothing. I took 800g of Ibuprofen, 30g of Codeine as painkillers, nausea pill and ATB pill. I`m not used to take any painkillers, so they worked really well. My whole day was normal as usually, I didn`t have to call any help with the kids, didn`t have to take any more painkillers. My bleeding was for first 4 hours like heavy period bleeding and after that just like regular period. Next day I felt absolutely normal, bleeding changed to light.
I didn`t have any negative physical experiences.
Maybe because I`m still nursing my youngest, my body is still loaded with hormones and my uterus is still stretched (I had last baby just couple month ago) . My body took the medication really easy.
|

replied April 22nd, 2012
Medical Abortion
Today was the day of my medical abortion. I never thought that I would have had to go through this. Going to the clinic I felt like an alien. Like all of us girls in there were just these prisoners waiting for our name to be called, getting our finger pricked for blood, then putting on a gown to go wait for what seemed like forever. That experience alone was traumatizing. I didn't belong. This shouldn't have happened. I kept having these thoughts go through my head. Never in a million years did I think I would be getting an abortion.

The doctor gave me the first pill to take in front of her. After that I was given 14 tablets of Doxycycline to take home with me. I am to take 2 tablets a day one every 12 hours to prevent infection in the uterus. I was also given my four tablets to take 24 hours later.

Of course, I had researched online about abortion and people's experiences. I was so scared after reading through what people had gone through.

Today I took the four tablets and put them in my cheek. I had my sprite, water, and had eaten a good meal before taking them. I was prepared. About 1 hour afterwards I had slight cramps. Similar to a period. Then an hour later is when I started to feel nauseous. I layed still so I wouldn't upset my stomach more. I drank water and sipped on sprite. I had my fianc there to help me. After another hour we decided I should go to the bathroom. I felt so dizzy when I sat up and thought that I would throw up. I never did vomit. Which was one of my worst fears. I recommend that someone is there to help you. If he wasnt there this whole process would have been so much more difficult.

When I went to the bathroom some blood clots came out. Nothing heavy. I sat there for a little while.
My cramps continued to hurt and I took Ibuprofen for the pain. I continued to feel dizzy and sick to my stomach. I ate saltine crackers and continued to drink water which helped with feeling sick.

After about a total of 6 hours since the pill I felt slightly better. No more feeling sick to my stomach, but still slight cramps. I haven't had much bleeding which concerns me. I was only 4 weeks pregnant though.

Now it has been a total of 9 hours since I have taken those 4 tablets. I feel a lot better. A little spotting of blood and slight cramping. But still, I wonder why I dont have more bleeding. I have all these questions in my head- but no answers.

After going through this, reading all I can about abortion pills- I would never do this again. My story wasn't awful but I am worried about what is to come. This whole experience has been so devastating to me. I am glad they have this option for women, but it still doesn't change how scary it is or painful.

I am hoping I had a successful abortion. I go to work tomorrow and I hope I feel better with no sudden surprises. I can only hope for the best. I am in constant worry since this whole process started. I wonder to myself what will happen? Is everything going to be okay.

I dont know. I just have to wait and find out. That is one of the scariest things to do. Wait.

Going through this experience I hope that my words can help someone reading this, wondering what they should do. It is not an easy decision. I would have probably done the surgical abortion knowing what I know now. I wish the best to anyone going through this. You arent alone and if you are about to go through with it dont let fear overwhelm you.
|

replied July 22nd, 2012
My Experience
I only want to post this b/c I generally find these forums helpful in situations like theses! I also find that more ppl post negative stories then positive, so that really made me want to post! I am 34 yrs old and found myself pregnant. Was unsure what I wanted to do and decided it just wasn't a good time. So i did some research on the abortion pill and contacted a local clinic for additional info and decided this was the best option for me! I took the first set of pills on a friday morning, where I had an exam, ultra sound, and blood work. I was sent home with 3 additional pills to be taken on sunday. I was told that the pain could be from moderate to severe cramping, period like symptoms. I read a lot of horror stories on here, so I was quite anxious about the pills. I woke up bright and early Sunday morning and decided to get it over with. SN: After the first set of pills I didn't really notice much change beyond mild cramps. Ok, Sunday morning.... I prepared by first taking one and a half vicodin. I then proceeded to smoke a joint(it's my nausea thing Smile and then took the three pills, followed by a Motrin 800. I was awake for about 45 min after that, where I felt some slight cramping. Nothing to even mention really. I was just waiting for this extreme pain, so I was really nervous. I started to feel very sleepy. Which being that drugged up who wouldn't be? I laid down and watched tv, then I feel asleep. I woke up about 2 and half hours later feeling normal. When I stood up I felt some normal period cramps and bleeding. Went to the bathroom and some clotting or ? came out and not tons of blood, just period like. I took another motrin, and have felt fine ever since! Guess I would just say, medicate yourself in anyway that works for yourself! Don't let fear overcome you, and never do anything you don't want to do! Hope this was helpful to someone!
|

replied August 10th, 2012
my experience
I, too read a bunch of horror stories about the pill. I just took my second set of pills last night, and I feel pretty fine now - light bleeding and no very mild occasional cramps. Overall, I am thankful not to be pregnant, and just the "morning sickness" and exhaustion being gone I feel a lot better already.

I am in the middle of a divorce, with a 4 year old. I am going back to school to get a job good enough to support her and I. I decided that I could not support another child on my own, and won't go back to my ex. So, I decided to get an abortion. The right choice for me.

I got the first pills at the clinic. They stressed the importance of pain meds while I was there, and I started to get a bit scared. But! I was clear in my decision. . . so - I got prepared - I got heating pads, soups and snacks, hydrated myself all day, had electrolytes on hand, movies rented, house clean and ready to go so that I could be incapacitated for a while. All day when I was eating, I would think - will I mind if I throw this up later? I chose simple foods, chicken soup, breads, some melon. Good choices!

That night, I took 2 Vicodins and 1 Benadryl for nausea. when that started to kick in, I put the 4 pills into my cheeks. At that point I was feeling really drowsy from the meds. I started to bleed within about 45 minutes of taking the Miliprex.

So, the cramps were definitely severe. I did throw up once (which was kind of a relief, I don't mind so much throwing up when I'm nauseous). I sat on the toilet a bunch when I felt like clots were coming out (about 5-6 times through the night). I was so drowsy that I drifted off a few times there. About 2 hours into it, I went to bed, and definitely noticed that the pain (which was mostly from my cervix) got kind of intense. As soon as I stood/sat up, it was better. Sitting right on the toilet is good because you don't have to clean anything up and its a good position. I drifted off on the toilet and went back to bed about 45 minutes later. When I next woke up I noticed that I felt a lot better. I went to the toilet one more time, took another Vicodin, and went back to sleep.

When I woke up in the morning, I felt a world better. Today I have been pretty mellow (I have the day off), but overall I feel pretty good. My cervix still feels tender, but that should go away. Overall, this was a pretty empowering and comfortable way to deal with pregnancy.

I have been pregnant 4 times. The first time I had a natural miscarriage at 10 weeks. Now, THAT was painful. I was vomiting and having diarrhea at the same time, unable to walk, had to go to the hospital where they gave me IV morphine and a d&c. The medical miscarriage was much easier.

My next pregnancy was in an abusive relationship, and I decided to have an aspiration abortion. It was a horrible experience, so clinical and uncomfortable. I got a really bad, painful infection and fever that was never diagnosed. There was no aftercare available. I was terrified for years that I was infertile. I swore I would never do that again, and it was very emotional.

When I got pregnant with my daughter, I was overjoyed. THen I got terrible morning sickness and was exhausted for 3 months. At 6 months I was put on bed rest because of complications causing early labor. I tried to have a home-birth but ended up having an emergency cesarean. The most painful experience of my life was trying to get up to go to the bathroom the next day. My daughter is beautiful and perfect, and I love her more than anything in the world. But wow, that pregnancy took it out of me and it took over a year to recover. I became very anemic too.

Facing another pregancy, and knowing I would be steered into another cesarean delivery, and unable to face another d&c abortion - I am so thankful that this option exists.

It is definitely a "DIY" method, and requires a little gumption, but its worth it for me. And, overall, it was not so bad.
|

replied September 9th, 2012
Not a bad experience
Hi, I am 36 y, with 3 kids, and got pregnant using the condom. I thing it driped.
Before choosing my abortion method, I read a lot all the experiences so I was prepared to face a terrible thing.
But for my wonder - It was nothing ! just mild 'period like ' pain, and of course bleeding.
I am Austrian so I think here the method is a little bit different. I took the first pill in the doctor office and after 24 h the two pills inserted in the vagina.
Maybe because I had only 3-4 weeks pregnancy the symptoms were not that tragic. I started to bleed after 4-5 h , so I was already sleeping - it was 3 am, when I felt that something solid might come out, so I went to the toilet and for 2-3 minutes I expelled all the blood clots and probably the 'zygote'.'
Now three days after abortion I still blead , mild cervical pain, a little weak but overall nothing physical . Pshilogycal is an other story.
|

replied October 21st, 2012
Feed back
Now after two months I still blead a little. I have been to the doctor and everything is ok.
But the bleeding on and off is terrible. I should of made abortion with suction
|

replied October 21st, 2012
Medical abortion worked great
I too, had a medical abortion. It has been about 57 hours since I took the initial first pill, 31 hours since I took the last 4 pills.

I had an amazing counselor at my clinic who fully informed me how to handle the pain (I had researched my decision, and was only afraid of the pain associated with medical abortion) in the best way possible. I was instructed to eat a light lunch and take my Promethazine (anti-nausea medication) an hour before, then take 800 mg of Ibuprofen and my Vicodin half an hour before for the pain. If you have been through labor before, like I have, then you know what to expect with the cramping. It's definitely worse than bad period cramps, but not completely unbearable as long as you use your prescribed pain pills and ibuprofen.

I eagerly took the first pill in the clinic (Mifiprex) and then hurried home. I knew what I wanted, I didn't feel bad, this was my choice I didn't have to explain my reasoning to anyone. My best friend drove me. She asked if I felt anything, I didn't. 24-ish hours later I took the 4 Misoprostol in front of my same best friend. She would be watching over me. I inserted them in between my gums and cheek and let them dissolve for an hour. Well, like I said, I had taken all my prescribed pills and they made me extremely tired. Light cramps started, and I fell asleep for 2 hours.

When I awoke I felt more heavy cramping. I went to the bathroom to make sure this whole process was working and check if I had started bleeding, I had! It was 6:30 by then. Then things started to get painful. I have no idea if it was my pain pills wearing off, or the cramps just worsening, but they suddenly started to mimic contractions. Contractions that didn't give me enough break time in between either, I had about 5 seconds of relief and then they'd start up with their twisting pain again. I was laying in bed massaging my lower stomach doubled over in pain.

I endured them as long as I could. I wanted to wait the full 4 hours before I took another dose of the pain pills but I couldn't. I felt something kind of falling out of me, I stood up and felt a goosh. I was sure this was probably blood. I went to the bathroom to check my pad, it wasn't blood, it was something so strange looking. I passed it with a bunch of clearish fluid (no idea if at 8 weeks pregnant there is amniotic fluid in the sac, but thats what I think it to be) it was a strange little tan blob about the size of a small bouncy ball. I grabbed it with some toilet paper and flushed it down the toilet before I let myself examine anymore. I didn't want to haunt my brain too bad with any images.

After that the contractions got worse so I went ahead and took my Ibuprofen and Vicodin an hour early. The pain wouldn't be going away as fast as I would like though, so I grabbed a hot water bottle and placed it on my soreness. This helped some. I was becoming pale and my friend started to worry. She told me I needed to eat but I told her no way. She made me soup, which I ate some of, and bless her soul actually made me feel quite better. I was able to get up and walk around after that. The pain was still persisting so I took another Vicodin..

Soon then I passed a large, dark red and partially tan clot. It was about the size of a small lemon. I immediately felt better. The cramping subsided from there and I was able to go get some chocolate and a Big Gulp. Only small clots and tissue after that. At around 10:30 (6 hours after I had taken the Misopristol) the horrible cramping was over. I was still bleeding heavily, but I survived.

This morning I woke up feeling amazing! I am bleeding lighter, it's more like a normal period now. No more nausea no more fatigue, I feel no longer pregnant - which is what I wanted. I would recommend medical abortion to another girl. I think it's less to freak out about, unlike a scary surgical procedure. But I will never go through another abortion. I have learned my lesson to the fullest. I am pro-choice, but also believe I shouldn't abuse the option of abortion. If I do have another unexpected pregnancy I will be carrying it to full term.
|

replied November 4th, 2012
abortion pill experience
Im a healthy 20 year old student from the UK. I took the abortion pill this weekend, the second one yesterday. The nurse had given me one codeine to numb the pain but for me it certainly wasn't enough. after 4 hours of feeling fine I rapidly started feeling cramps in my abdomen which became worse and worse with each minute. I made it up to the toilet suddenly feeling weak and sat there with my head between my knees for about 2 hours with nothing happening down there but intense pain. I'm sure for most people it isn't too bad but for me it was the worst pain since my appendix burst a few years ago - and I think I have a fairly high pain threshold... I felt this intense, dull ache with a severe stabbing pain resurfacing on top of it every 10 seconds for about 3 hours, luckily I had my housemate with me all the time making me hot water bottles and making sure I ate and drank water throughout the experience... it was really quite horrible. Eventually, 3 hours of sweat and agony later, I fell asleep from the extra ibuprofen I'd taken (and general exhaustion) and woke up to find the bleeding had started, but the cramps had calmed down a lot and although extremely faint and dizzy, I was beginning to feel better. within a couple of hours I was practically fine again. so this is just a warning that it can be painful, but obviously if it's not the right time to bring a child into the world then things like this have to be done. today I feel absolutely fine, bleeding quite heavily still but no cramps or anything. I had also prepared myself just in case it was a painful experience so had lots of blankets, pillows, hot chocolate and films to watch in order to keep myself as comfortable as possible. all I feel today is a huge sense of relief and although it was painful I am extremely glad I did it, better than having a child I can't support or care for. I don't mean to put anyone off the abortion pill, I'm just warning that it obviously can be quite painful. I'd read a lot of online stories about how it wasn't bad at all so I was not expecting to feel so horrible and it came as a bit of a shock.
|

replied November 14th, 2012
Medical Abortion
Hi there, i read your story and im 19 at uni and i just found out that im pregnant. I have been with my boyfriend for a year but we are in no way ready and im honestly terrified. i just wanted to ask if you went through it with the NHS or privately. If the NHS how long did the process of seeing a doctor to get the pills take or privately how much did it cost you?
thank you so much!
|

replied November 9th, 2012
Like the above story, All I had heard before I took the abortion pill (at 5 weeks pregnant) were horror stories about pain, and diarrhea, and vomiting. I was scared SHITLESS...excuse my language. I took my anti-nausea and 2 Tylenol with Codeine's at about 2 o clock. Waited one hour (I felt nice and drowsy, and almost euphoric at this point, they must do that on purpose to take away some of the stress) At 3 I put the 4 dissolving pills in my mouth, waited 30 minutes, and swallowed the rest.
I laid down on the couch with a heating pad. GET ONE OF THESE THEY ARE A LIFESAVER!!! My boyfriend put on a movie (definitely have someone supportive there with you!). At about 4:30 I started having some mild cramping, but nothing worse than a regular period. I had a pad on, and checked it, it was clean so I was a little confused. I sat down on the toilet, and passed a fair amount of blood. It was nothing horrible though. Over the next three hours, I bled more, but my pain never really increased, although I was waiting for pain that these girls seem to describe as apocalyptic... I did pass a few large blood clots, (you'll know when you pass the actual pregnancy) it was not pleasant, but it was definitely not painful. Your cervix should be so dilated you barely feel any pain. I was even hungry during this whole experience! I ate some ice cream, watched TV with my boyfriend, it was the most enjoyable it could possibly be. At times it was definitely emotional, you don't like what you are doing... but you can't beat yourself up over it.
Anyways, I'm sure that some people have a much tougher experience with this, but try not to read too much about other people's awful time with it... I read too much and worried myself sick for DAYS. I couldn't eat, or sleep, I was crying, and scared. I hope that if you have decided to take the abortion pill, you can read my story and draw some comfort from it. YOU WILL GET THROUGH IT! And when it's all over, the relief is so worth it.
|

replied December 31st, 2012
Chemical / Medical Abortion Experience
I am 25 and opted to have a medically induced miscarriage two days ago. I have many health concerns that necessitate this decision and I do not regret having made it. I know that one day I will make a terrific mother, but that is not now. It is helpful to have nonjudgmental women and a strong, supportive man in my life. I have gone through this before, without those things, and it was much more trying on my spirit.

I was only 4 weeks pregnant at the time of taking the first pill, mifepristone. My body was already very crampy and the fetus was not growing normally; indicative of natural miscarriage having begun. The mifepristone did not cause any bleeding but did increase my cramps slightly. I did not want to wait the entire 24 hours before taking the misoprostol, due to feeling so uncomfortable and sore in general. I woke up at 3am and opted to take them alone, in my bathroom, 13 hours after the mifepristone. I was sure to set up a blanket on the floor, a candle for low lighting, burned a small amount of incense to create a good environment and a large glass of cold water.

Once all set, I took two oxycodone/acetominaphen. Then, I immediately took the four tablets; allowing them to dissolve in my cheeks for 30 minutes and swallowing the remainder with water. Not much of the tablet actually dissolved and most was swallowed after the 30 minutes. I was surprised to have no major changes in the first two hours; only occasional waves of intense nausea. My mouth was watering as if I would vomit without any product.

At three hours, I began having light spotting and more intense cramping. The cramps were more profound than a period, in my case, but nothing that I could not handle. There were only two or three times that I needed to put my head down, breath deeply, and rock myself to overcome pains. At this point, I did begin to vomit. I produced mostly water the fist time and felt MUCH better afterward. After that, my vomiting did not produce anything; just dry heaves that sped the abortion process up (through pressure on my abdomen). The anticipation of throwing up was much worse than the actual act and I was glad to get a little of that pressure out of my stomach.

Around four to five hours after taking the misoprostol, I began to bleed more heavily and produced several clots. At four weeks of gestation, the fetus would be pretty indistinguishable from normal clots but I examined each anyway to be sure that it was evacuated from my body. There were two clots that appeared different from the others (larger / pea sized / cloudy / had villi) and I assume that this was the product of conception having been passed.

I was so exhausted by hour six that I went back into my room and lay down. By this time, my fiance was awake and offering help but I didn't really need anything. I accidentally fell asleep for about half an hour and awoke remembering that I was told not to sleep so that I may monitor my bleeding and assist my uterus with gravity (by sitting up). The cramping had subsided to normal period levels and my nausea was nearly gone. By that time, my breast tenderness had greatly decreased, as well.

One big mistake that I made was trying to do a few morning chores. Walking too much and moving too much caused a spike in my cramping and made me feel very weak, given the oxycodone was still on board. I opted to take another pain killer at that point to be sure that I still had some in my system for the cramping that I initiated.

Now, two days later, I have not slept very well through the entire night. My lower back is pretty sore (possibly because I have a retroverted uterus; tilted back; and because of bedrest). Also, I woke up last night sweating a lot. I can tell that my hormones are all over the map as I settle back down. I do not feel depressed, but I do feel irritable and vulnerable. I stopped taking the pain meds for cramps because they make me dizzy and nauseous. Besides, the cramps are not very bad. They would be minimal if I would stop trying to do too much for myself.

I post this to try and provide details to those considering medical abortion or are going through it. Try not to psyche yourself out about what is going to happen. I prayed and centered myself beforehand and it helped tremendously with my fear.

Obviously, do not be hesitant to seek out help if you think that something is wrong. AND, do not accept any judgment from other people or allow them to make you feel any particular way for your decisions...it is not their place, you have your own right to believe what you choose, God loves you through his amazing grace and precious sacrifice for your sins, and you have many reasons for making the choices that you do (nobody else could understand your unique set of circumstances, but you). Hang in there. It will get better!
|

User Profile
replied January 20th, 2013
Im about 5 weeks pregnant and i have extremely bad anixety. I have not eaten really the whole time I have been pregnant before i get very sick everytime i eat. I'm starting to think that I'm not going to be strong enough to take the abortion pill. When i do eat all my food goes to the baby, i try to eat but i just throw it up when i do. Is there any advice anyone can give me, i have been to the doctors and no one can tell me anything for sure. Do you think i can still take the abortion pill or what? Thanks!
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied February 7th, 2013
I had the local anaesthetic vacuum today! Thought I'd have that because its a quick procedure & i don't have to go back, only took about 5 minutes, was the worst pain of my life! I cried the whole time begging the nurse to hurry up I just wanted to close my legs & curl up in a ball! I had gas & air & that made me feel so drowsy & tired! My blood pressure dropped so had to stay in the theatre for a bit longer. I would never lie & say it don't hurt because it bloody well does! I was sick 3 times in recovery from the gas & air & was so shakey & took a while to get my blood pressure back up! Was fine after about 45 minutes. What ever procedure you have it's going to be painful. A girl that came out before i went in was fine & I thought I should be ok but had a shock when I went in! Would never ever put myself through that again! It's been 5hours side it's been done & I'm fine now but il never forget that pain!
|

replied April 12th, 2013
I am about to take the abortion pill tomorrow already took the first pill. I was actually scheduled to have the surgical abortion,but as a lay on the table I became overwhelmed with fear ( I HATE NEEDLES!!!) and realized cramps are something I can handle. The doctor was pressing me to do the pill because the amount of fear I was in was pretty high, that if I did the surgical it could be very dangerous if I freaked out during the thing. So I will take my 4 pills tomorrow.
I also have to insert my nausea meds in my butt,lol. Has anyone had to do that?? Wish me luck! Your stories helped ease me. I will definitely take my pain meds!!
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied September 26th, 2013
Abortion pill
Id like to share my expierence with the abortion pill , just because reading through these helped me out alot but they did scare me also . My expierence was PAINFUL!!! I took the first pill at the doctors office and was feeling fine . 24 hours later ' put the 4 other pills under my gums and cheeks let them dissolve and swallowed the rest with water the first 15 minutes were light cramping but bearable , as time passed 20 30 minutes later got severe pain in my abdominal a pain that's barley bearable I had to get in the bath tub with hot water to cool down he pain but not even that would help ( did increase the pain though) really recommend to pass your expierence of the pill in warm water . An hour after sitting in the shower the pain went taking off little by little . The pain goes away dramatically after you start bleeding the whole process was about 1 and 30 minutes long ( the pain atleast) felt better after flushing out the clots . Painful expierence but worth it if you know having a baby isent the right choice for you at the moment
|

replied November 23rd, 2013
I'd like to share my positive** experience going through an abortion using the pill. After finding out I was pregnant, I scheduled an appointment at my local Planned Parenthood for an abortion. I had a great experience at Planned Parenthood - the staff and the nurses were extremely professional and polite. At no point did I feel ashamed or embarrassed seeking treatment there.

After confirming that I was just under six weeks pregnant through an ultrasound, I was evaluated and treated with 200 mg mifepristone for the medical abortion. I took the mifepristone (the first pill) at 10:23 a.m. on a Friday morning at the clinic as well as two pills to fight any infections that I might have (I forgot what they were called). I was then instructed to self-administer 800 mcg misoprostol (the four pills) bucally within 24 to 48 hours. So the next day, on a Saturday, I did everything as the nurse practitioner instructed me too. At exactly 12:00 p.m., I took promethazine (an anti-nausea pill). Then at 12:30 p.m., I took two ibuprofen that were 400 mg each and two** hydrocodone pills. From my understanding, the clinic typically only advices its patients to take the hydrocodone pills after** you take the four misoprostol pills that actually induce the miscarriage or as soon as you start having heavy pain. However, since I was going through this process alone and since I have a low pain threshold, the nurse gave me the OKAY to take the hydrocdone before** I took the four abortion pills. I honestly think that had I not done this, my experience would have been SO much more painful. I would highly recommend that you take the hydrocodone (or whatever variation of it you are prescribed) with the ibuprofen as I really think it made ALL the difference. Of course, first consult with your healthcare provider to make sure it's okay with your body.

After taking the pain and cramping medication, at 1:00 p.m., I finally took the four misoprostol pills. I placed two on each side of the inside of my cheeks and let them dissolve for 30 minutes. Then at exactly 1:30 p.m., I swallowed the pills. I began cramping for the next hour or so but did not actually start bleeding after about four hours. To be completely honest, the cramping was not bad at all! In fact, I dare to say that I've experienced worse pain during my actual periods!

Since I was going through this process alone, I had prepared adequately by purchasing soup, pizza, mixed berries, Vitamin Water, cheese and crackers for the rest of the day. I've read that a lot of women get nauseous throughout the process and cannot eat. I, on the other hand, had the exact opposite reaction. I was so hungry! I had a bunch of healthy options available and at hand, since the hydrocodone pills made me extremely tired. After about four hours since taking the four pills, I began bleeding and went straight to the bathroom. I sat on the toilet and I guess the most uncomfortable part was feeling the actual blood clots fall into the toilet. Because I could feel the heavy clots falling in, it made me a bit emotional. Not to be too graphic, but the feeling of the clots falling is similar to when one has a bowel movement.

Anyways, if you are going through this, I highly recommend that you also have a heating pad. The heating pad (which you can buy for like 20 or 30 dollars at Walgreens, MADE SUCH A DIFFERENCE). Oh, and make sure to take the hydrocodone pills before you take the four pills (of course if your healthcare provider approves). Physically speaking, my experience was very easy and I am very happy that everything went smoothly. It was not bad at all. Psychologically, however, now that's a different story. Each woman's body is different and reacts differently to such processes. My body responded very well to the pill abortion and I was relieved to have gone through it in the end.
|

replied April 10th, 2014
Hi guys,

So yesterday I went for the "medical abortion" or abortion pill. I was abit nervous, but generally just eager to feel better because I had been having alot of sickness and weakness with the pregnancy and just wanted it over and done with! As I'm sure you can relate to! I was 6 weeks and 2 days.

I did something abit different than most of you, I had the option to take both types of pills at the same time, the oral and the vaginal pills. I was at the clinic for both of them.

I went straight home and didn't feel anything for the first two hours, but after another half an hour I started getting cramps which quickly got worse. I have a history of Endometriosis, so I know what a painful period is. Many of my periods in the younger years involved me uncontrollably screaming in pain, rolling around on the floor, throwing up and down, fever, fainting ect. So yes, quite experienced.

The pain was extreme. I would say out of 10, it was 9, but I have had periods that were a 10 before and I have a high threshold of pain.

I was sick a few times, and had a fever. The worst pain was just before throwing up, and then feeling better afterwards. Very Happy

My partner was with me through it and helped me to remember to breath, because the pain was so intense I couldn't breath at times, and it really helped to have him there reminding me to take deep breaths and concentrate on the breathing - which slowly helped the pain.

I had taken ibuprofen, and then some stronger ones, but I was sick straight after the stronger tablets.

The worst of it was about two hours, constant screaming, and just as I was feeling I couldn't take anymore, my partner gave me a lower back massage which FELT LIKE HEAVEN. I suggest you all get a man who can give you a massage like this. I then put a hot water bottle on my lower back, and it was pure bliss. I could relax and drift off.

The level of pain I could handle just about, but if it had even been a tiny fraction more I wouldn't have been able to handle it and would have tried to get help.

What I suggest is having someone with you, someone to comfort you if the pain is bad. My experience may have been related to the complications I have down there, but then again in the recent months my cycles have been normal so I can't say for sure.

I am glad I chose this option, because the comfort of going through it somewhere you feel safe and at home is worth it. I find the clinics very cold and harsh psychologically. My emotional state is good at home.

For me it was only bad for a few hours, and the rest has been completely fine, and actually, I'm beginning to feel pretty good!! What a blessing that woman get a choice.

Just wanted to let people know, it is not always a walk in the park, but even so for me it was worth it.

Much love and luck to you all.
|