Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Multiple hernia surgeries

I seem to have a long history with inguinal hernias. My first was 10 years ago, right side inguinal repaired by laprascopic surgery with mesh. 6 months later I presented a hernia again and had an open repair (tension).

Now, I have had some symptoms for the last 18 months or so. The feeling of "movement" being the most irritating, when coughing, laughing, straining etc... It's nothing major, and nowhere near what I had during the first hernia(s) - but was enough for me to see a surgeon again. I also have a small bump (again much smaller than the original hernia), almost flush with my flesh. This is not present when waking up but will come out during the day.

He has suggested that there is a chance that the right side is not a hernia, but possibly some fat deposits that weren't removed the first time, but that the "movement" warrants surgery. At the same time, I now have a left side inguinal hernia - very difficult to notice, but it's there.

This time around, I am having an epidural so that I am conscience enough to interact with the surgeon and cough if need be.

Has anyone had experience with a) multiple hernias like this, i.e. what are my chances that this will be the last one. and b) what is it like having the epidural and being operated on that way - he did mention being sedated as well.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 16th, 2010
Do you have a specific question for us...?

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied March 22nd, 2013
multiple hernia
My mother she has multiple hernia she is obese patient she is suffering from thyroid and she is blood pressure patient too her weight is 123kg and her age is 54
Please suggest me what to do mostly doctors her surgery is very risky. .
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.