Medical Questions > Cancer > Thyroid Cancer Forum

Multinodular Goiter

I have just been told based on an ultrasound that I have a multinodular goiter - homogenous. I haven't been to the referred endocrinologist yet, that happens next week.
The referring doctors are concerened because my sister and my cousin both had thyroid cancer.
I have two questions:
Can a non cancerous nodule become cancerous?
Is it adviseable to have the thyroid (left lobe) removed because of the family history?

also, my TSH values were normal but my T3 or T4 were low and they immeidately started me on medication.

Thank you for your thoughts!

Rhonda
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 13th, 2009
I am curious about this also. I am having about the same thing going on. I have a goiter and my tsh was normal but my t4 was low. Al of that stuff is very confusing!
|

User Profile
replied December 15th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Make sure the endocrinologist they send you to has experience treating thyroid cancer. I would also recommend that you go to a doctor that is a surgeon so you don't have to see another doctor if you need a thyroidectomy.

According to books I've read and the ENT that treated my thyroid cancer, multi-nodular goiters are less-likely to be cancerous than single nodules are. My doctor also said that benign nodules can become cancerous.

As for your family history, not all thyroid cancers are hereditary. Did your sister and your cousin have the same type? Having family history of thyroid cancer may make it more likely, but it isn't a guarantee. A lot of people get thyroid nodules (many without ever knowing it) and most of them are not cancer. Follow your doctor's advice about how to proceed and make sure to get as much information as you can about your sister and cousin's cancers to share with the doctor. He or she will probably want to take a biopsy first and go from there.

As for the nodule(s) affecting your thyroid hormones, that really isn't a clear indication of cancer or not. I would ask your endocrinologist if you really should be on thyroid hormone replacements since your TSH is normal. Extra hormone will probably make you hyperthyroid.

In the mean time, read up on this stuff. It really helped me while I was going through it because I knew more about what to expect and I felt like I could more fully participate in making decisions about my own care.

Good luck to both of you. Feel free to write back if you get more information or have more questions.
|

User Profile
replied April 23rd, 2013
Incorrect diagnosis
Can a fine needls ultrasound biopsy a original diagnosis of benign mng be wrong as I'm suffering many of the symptoms hard to swallow insomnia chills hot flushes numbness down one arm extremely heavy periods sluggish memory palpitations swelling in feet calves hands abdo under my eyes sometimes my tongue and my dominant cyst is <6 weight gain bowels were ex constipated now soft extreme malaise / lethargy
|

replied May 3rd, 2013
I am brand new with this too and pretty confused. CT showed two welll demarcated somethings left thyroid lobe!!! had an ultraound showed MANY nodules left and right and a goiter?? I had a blood test that showed LOW TSH? the doc has just done one to check T-4. I am also having a iodine uptake test next week to see if the multinodal disease is hot or cold - all very weird to me at this stage and feeling confused by it all. I read cold was bad. But she is telling me if hot and T-4 is high that is hyperthyroid. I thought low TSH would mean hypo? I was told if cold and malignant will need thyroid either removed or destroyed through radioactive iodine. But then told that if hot wil need destroyed too?
I cant make sense of any of this. I have had some interesting/weird symptoms that have been going on for a couple of years that I now wonder about. EXTREME send you mental itching many nights as soon as I get into bed (which I put down to being in my head) will claw till skin raw but no relief, so usually get up. Depression that just doesnt seem to respond to anything (which of course I put down to in the head), tendency to get secondary infections to any minor bug, swinging between diarreaah and severe constipation (like up to 10 days nothing) joint and muscle pain (confrimed by ultrasounds as inflamed). Surely all of this has got to be related to one underlying cause, I cant be totally falling apart surely. Do any of these symptoms sound like thryoid? I have been looking a tthem all as unrelated to each other and now Im not so sure
|

replied May 3rd, 2013
oh ps to above, she did tell me today need urgent referal to endocrine - what can he/she do? All this talk of idoine uptake and then radioactive iodine has me worried too as I have kidney disease - is that a problem with idodine as I thought it was. I also was told that if have radioactive iodine treatment I have to isolate for about a week! I mind my grandchildren every day. Oh Im female 51 if thats relevant
|