Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

mucus-like brown discharge after sex, harmful to baby?

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
User Profile
I am currently 13 weeks pregnant and have developed a brown discharge which can be thin or mucus-like after sex that is deeply penetrating or an orgasm. It lasts approximately a day or so, but I am concerned I am harming the baby. Also, this is my second child, third pregnancy. The first was born only 7 months ago. I'm wondering why this is happening? And is it harmful to the child?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 8th, 2012
Vaginal and Uterus Health Answer A31312
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
Brown discharge/spotting after intercourse is not normal. If pregnancy has been confirmed, you should visit your doctor/gynecologist for further evaluation to rule out chances of low lying placenta, bleeding from placental separation, retroplacental bleed, etc. Getting serial HCG levels estimated also helps. Doubling up of the hormone levels in 48-72 hours will show that pregnancy is going on smoothly. If levels are not adequate, then external hormonal supplements would be considered to be started to help you in preventing miscarriage/threatened abortion. An early ultrasound scan done will also help to know if pregnancy is viable and look for/rule out source of bleeding. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Pregnancy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.