Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

mucus in throat

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
Confused hi can anyone give me some advice? Ive been having these symptoms since dec and cant get any relief. symptoms are foul tasting mucus in throat pressure arond cheek bones and sides of nose, mucus is stuck,and have some discomfort in upper back but not always.Have had 3 rounds of antibiotics and now using nasal spray and daily antihistimine. I havent be given a comfirmed answers but suggestions of sinus problems or maybe tummy problems. Oh and the roof of my mouth gets pressure also. Any suggestions? lol and thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper efit
|

User Profile
replied June 19th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Welcome to EHEALTHforum!
Are you experiencing pain and pressure in the area of upper teeth, too?
Do you have nasal obstruction or congestion?
Have you noticed drainage of a thick, yellow or greenish discharge from the nose?

Mucus in throat normally is swallowed unconsciously, but, the feeling that it is accumulating in the throat or dripping from the back of your nose down the throat, is called post-nasal drip.
Post-nasal drip is a symptom of chronic sinusitis (this feeling can be caused by thick secretions) and rhinitis (inflammation of the lining of nose, the feeling of post-nasal drip in this condition is due to excessive secretions).
|
Users who thank MandMs for this post: efit 

replied June 19th, 2008
mucus in throat
thanks for your reply M and Ms, I do seem to have some blockage to my nose but I dont sound conjested. I also get some burning and heaviness in my eyes. I have myself totally freaked out by this because it came so out of the blue! I have days were im really miserable with it and others arent so bad. I have noticed that when the weather is wet or damp I feel worse dont know if that makes any since or not? Today I have some mild discomfort in my back on the left side and now im worried that its my lungs even thogh I have no problems with my breathing, no wheezing, no cough and it dosent hurt to take a deep breath! I is really scarey what you can begin to think about when all of a sudden you go from having no health complaints to feeling like your falling apart!! lol. Please any replies welcomed. thanks
|

User Profile
replied June 30th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You are welcome!

I'm sure you are suffering from sinusitis.
Damp weather and pollutants in the air may affect people with chronic sinusitis.

For how long you have the symptoms?
Do you get watery eyes, too?
Was this preceded with a cold or allergy?
|
Users who thank MandMs for this post: efit 

replied July 13th, 2008
MandMs, sorry for not repling sooner.lol I have had these symptoms for 7months now since december! It feels like a lot longer. I dont get watery eyes but my eyes do feel very dry a times. When it first started it was like a dry throat and as though I had a small bit of something stuck then I took a really heavy head cold and the throat seemed more like mucus in it. After this I had another cold again more of a head cold. The only thing that has been discovered through blood tests is that I have vitamin deficienices which can meam a lowered immune system, for this I am eating a lot more fresh veg and fruit and taking cod liver oil. Do you think the results of bloods could be a connection? Also do you think sinutis could last as long as what it has? Oh and one more thing I have been having a weird feeling in the roof of my mouth just behind my teeth kind of like I have burnt it only I havent. Sorry for the long post but I do really apperiaiate your help and understanding.
|

User Profile
replied November 7th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
efit!
Sinusitis that lasts more than eight weeks or keeps coming back, is known as chronic sinusitis.
Feeling of falling apart or excessive fatigue is very characteristic for this condition.
You should visit an ENT doctor to get checked for some anatomical abnormalities, like deviated nasal septum, that's the risk factor for chronic sinusitis, and, nasal polyps, too.
Having allergies predisposes you to frequent attacks of sinusitis.
Also, not treating acute sinusitis with antibiotics or not treating it completely can cause new attacks of sinusitis.
Immune system deficiency results in frequent infections, like respiratory ones, that can precede sinusitis.

Do you sometimes get burning sensation that radiates up from the stomach to the chest and throat?
|

replied November 9th, 2008
hi mands, I do sometimes get that burning feeling. I have mucus in my throat most of the time however it seems to be worse in the mornings. I get one sided headaches which are mainly beside and above my eye and behind my ears get a sorness. Im not sure if the soreness behind my ears is a symptom- what do you think? Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to me and for your advice it helps to know that someone understands and that its not something really weird but that others do suffer the same things as i do. lol efit
|

User Profile
replied November 10th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You are welcome!
Burning sensation that radiates up from the stomach to the chest and throat is known as heartburn, that is caused due to acid reflux, or, backing up of stomach contain to the esophagus and throat.
These are symptoms of GERD.
GERD is a condition that predispose patients to the development of chronic sinusitis.
Abnormal swelling of the nasal and sinus membranes causes them to produce thick abnormal mucus.
This thick mucus can drain into the back of your throat, leading to post-nasal drip.
The sensation of post-nasal drip is most prominent in the mornings.
If you experience frequent backflows of stomach juices, up to your throat, you can have symptoms of difficulty swallowing, hoarseness, lump-in-the-throat sensation, chronic cough and throat clearing, and mucus build-up in the throat, like post-nasal drip.
Sometimes, the symptoms of GERD can mimic some of the symptoms of sinusitis.
The sensation of post-nasal drainage and the need to clear your throat constantly may be due to post-nasal drainage, but, may also be due to GERD, or, the both conditions can be present (GERD predisposing for chronic sinusitis).

A sinus headache may create pain behind, above and between the eyes and in the ears as well as a constant feeling of pounding in your face and head.
Remember, that chronic sinusitis can lead to case of ear infection.
|