Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Mucinex and benadryl together ?

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
Hi all.
I have a cold and I've been taking Mucinex-D. Around 1pm today, I took 2 pills and haven't had a dose since. The 2 pills at once works wonders, but I don't want to overdo it. I was wondering if I could take a benadryl tonight and then begin again with the 2 mucinex-ds in the morning. Good idea? Bad idea?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 27th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Before I give you an answer, make sure the Mucinex D is actually Mucinex D...sorry if that is confusing, but there is also a Mucinex DM, which is different in chemical compound from Mucinex D.

Mucinex D (guaifenesin and pseudoephedrine) can safely be used with plain old benadryl (diphenhydramine), however you should NOT take EITHER product for more than 7 days. If your symptoms persist for longer than 7 days, see your doctor.
You should not take any other products containing any of the active ingredients in benadryl or mucinex d during the time you are using them.
A nasal spray may also help with nasal congestion. As long as it is straight saline, it may be used in conjunction with benadryl and mucinex d.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply