Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Much more frequent bowel movements; possible blood?

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
Alright. I am a 20 year old female and as far as I know, I am in good health. The only thing I have trouble with is bowel movements. Normal for me is having a bowel movement 2 or 3 times a week. I know that seems like not much, but it has consistently stayed that way no matter what I do, whether it be adding fiber to my diet, drinking more water, exercising more, or even taking fiber supplements. I have yet to find anything to helps the frequency of my bowel movements.

For the last few days (I would guess maybe 3 or 4 days?), I have had much more frequent bowel movements. I'm talking anywhere from 3 to 6 a day. It's not diarrhea. They usually aren't big bowel movements--most of the time, when I'm peeing, some just decides it's time to come out. It's not loose/falling out, either--I have to push. It is normal consistency, color, shape, etc. Nothing is really abnormal about it. I do experience some stomach cramps when I need to go, and have been having loud and ..powerful? gas.

It might be weird, but I'm one of those people who examines their bowel movements afterward to make sure everything looks alright. I have been looking especially close recently, since the change is really baffling me. Today, after my latest bowel movement, I think I saw some red spots. Of course my first thought was blood, because as far as I can remember, I haven't had any foods/drinks/etc colored red lately. It wasn't dark or tarry, but it wasn't super bright either, which is why I can't tell if it's blood or not. There was no blood on the toilet paper after wiping, and no blood in the toilet water. It wasn't streaky through the poop, it was more just a spot here, spot there. Not very big spots, either.

I have felt bad in general lately. I've been tired (though I always am, long before the change started) and I believe I may have a bartholin gland cyst as well. Sometimes I get a little lightheaded, though it usually coincides with going a bit without eating, so that might be all there is to that. I also sometimes get nauseous, but it's nothing major, and I haven't thrown up. I am 98% I am not pregnant, and my period is due in the next two or three days. I also have no fever. I have not changed my diet or routine in ANY way. The only thing I have remotely done differently is eat some yogurt with probiotics, but even then, I only ate two containers (cups? whatever you call them) of it over a span of a week and a half. So, not much at all.

I would appreciate any advice, help, etc that anyone can give me. I am bouncing back and forth on whether to contact the doctor or not, since my bowel movements are normal consistency and what not, and I can't tell whether I truly have blood in my stool. Anyone know what could be going on with my poor digestive system? It needs a break. Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 20th, 2011
Hello and thank you for your post on e health forum.

Blood in the stool associated with constipation could be associated with hemorrhoids, anal fissues, etc.

You might consult a gastroenterologist who might get tests including stool analysis, Barium studies, CT scans and a lower GI endoscopy to know the exact cause of your symptoms and initiate proper interventions.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.