Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lupus Forum

MS and Lupus

Must Read
Learn the basics about autoimmune disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing an autoimmune disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for autoimmune disorders....
I can't believe it. I was diagnosed with MS this past Jan. '08. I took it hard and was just starting to get used to my new life but now i've been shot back down again. The doctor's think i have Lupus now as well.

I'm devastated. I go to see a Rheumatologist this Friday. If i have Lupus, i'll have to stop the great MS treatment i'm on now. I have no idea what to do. Embarassed
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 10th, 2008
re: Already have MS now i might have Lupus
APLS - antiphospholipid sydrome which is related to lupus is often misdiagnosed as MS. ASPLS may be secondary to (primary) lupus. (If the APLS is primary the sources that I have read indicate that lupus usually does not develop afterward.)Was your antiphospholipid titer checked? MS and APLS can look very similar on an MRI howerver APLS will often respond well to asprin and anti-coagulents while they won't do much for MS.
|

Thanks for the reply, but i definitely have MS. Other people have mentioned that i have lupus instead of MS but there's no question about it. I haven't seen anyone about possibly having lupus yet. Not until this Friday. I had gone to the ER on labor day with what i thought was an allergic reaction to my new MS treatment. They drew some blood and through whatever my levels showed suspected that i have lupus as well.

But no, really. I have MS. It's not either or. It's both.. possibly. Hopefully not.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Why would you need to stop your MS treatment if you have Lupus too?

And what MS treatment are you on? Copaxone, Avonex, etc?
|

replied September 11th, 2008
I don't know why. That's just what the neurologist said. I guess because of the immune suppression from the treatment would make the lupus worse?

I'm on Tysabri which is a once a month infusion. I've only had one infusion and it was a miracle drug. It took all of my symptoms away. I was on Copaxone before that and it did nothing.
|

replied February 4th, 2009
lupus and ms
I know exactly how you feel.I was diagnosed w/antiphoslipidantibodies in 1991, and lupus about 10 yrs ago. Now they are looking for the 3rd time to determine if I have ms as well. I hope they figure it out so they can treat it..not that I want another problem, especilly ms, but if it is ms, they need to start to treat me properly!
|