Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Multiple Sclerosis Forum

MS after stroke

Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
hi,
my husband had a stroke in june. and was in the hospital twice. when they did the mri they found many many lesions on his brain along with the area in which he had the stroke on his right side of the brain. they also did 2 lumbar puntures. when he went back to the family dr. he was told that he had ms also. I know that a stroke and ms have similar symptoms. how do i know what symptoms are ms and what ones are from the stroke? he goes back to the neurologist in late august. so i am assuming they will put him on medication for the ms. he is already on a blood thinner and a colestorol drug. the thing that bothers me is they do not know what caused the stroke. all the tests they did came back fine. his cholestorol was 100 but the dr said people with strokes they want it to be 70. and nobody in his family has a history of stroke or ms. we are totally stumped. does anyone have any ideas or answers. thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 13th, 2009
Community Volunteer
I'd suggest that he get a second opinion.

Zig
|

we went to 2 different neurologist and they both say the same thing. now they are doing genetic testing to see if he has the gene that makes him suseptible to ms or a stroke.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
They are positive he has MS? & he has had a definate stroke and not another disease or diseases. Reason I ask...there are diseases that mimic and MS and visa-versa.

Did he have any symptoms of MS before he landed in the hospital? Like unexplained symptoms that would come and go without any known cause.

Are they sure that the other lesions found are not from old TIA (mini-strokes).

How is your husband now?

Zig
|

replied August 14th, 2009
yes he had a stroke, he has a big area in his brain that is no longer working in the right side. and the lesions are from ms. he had two lumbar punctures done and they both came up positive for ms. yes he did have symptoms before he had the stroke. and now he has decreased left side use due to the stroke. the drooping face and left side weekness. the only way that they would be mini strokes is if he had about 50 mini strokes. i have all the blood test results and the other test results. and when he goes for his neurology appointment i am getting a copy of the mri.
|

replied March 16th, 2011
I HAD THE SAME THING HAPPEN 6 YRS AGO I HAD A STROKE EFFECTING MY WHOLE LEFT SIDE...WHEN IT WASN'T CLEARING UP I WAS SENT TO A NEUROLOGIST...AFTER MONTHS OF TEST I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH MS...ALTHOUGH RARE ONLY AFFECTING 3% OF MS PATIENTS IT DOES IN FACT OCCUR..
|

replied March 17th, 2011
Well we found out he didnt have a stroke it was all ms. The dr said by the amount of lesions on hos bran brain stem and spinal column, he has had it for about 20 years before he was diagnosed. He has the least about 75 lesions on his bran. Its been just about 2 years and he hasnt gotten any cognitive skills back about 10 percent of his strength and mobility back. He has gait problems and cant walk long distances before he gets tired. I have learned to be a care giver. And thats not easy.
|

replied April 4th, 2011
Stroke and MS
Have him evaluated for CCSVI Chronic Cerebrospinaql Vascular Insufficiency. He may be having abnormalities that prohibit the DRAINAGE from the brain via the neck veins. Fine an Interventional Radiologist who KNOWS HOW to follow certain criteria or you can forget finding out any real information. The internet is ripe with info.
DO IT before you start on those drugs.........
|