Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Multiple Sclerosis Forum

MRI/MRA negative but all the symptoms point to MS

Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
Help!!!! I'm a 28 y/o female who is having a lot of neuro symptoms. It started about 8 months ago when the left side of my face and my left arm went numb for about a week. My PMD said it was probably Bell's Palsey and started me on steriods. The numbness started going away but I noticed very blurry vision in my left eye, this too went away. Then just 2 months ago the numbness started again. At first it was the left side of my body, blurred vision and a headache. My PMD said maybe it's migraines and referred me to Neuro. I told the neurologist all of my symptoms: Numbness and tingling, pain in my extremities, fatigue, blurred vision, headaches, that I was stumbling. He immediately said it sounds like MS and ordered an MRI. I got the results to my MRI/MRA of my brain today and it was negative so he said maybe I have fibromyalgia....REALLY??? I'm peeing every 10min with a completely empty bladder because of fibromyalgia?? I'm not sure where to go from here. He said he would do an MRI of my neck but I know this can't possibly be in my head, I'm so miserable.....Please Help!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Jennagirl
|

replied May 9th, 2011
Hi, the MRI of your cervical spine might reveal something. I was recently diagnosed with MS, but only after a year of negative brain MRI's. Also, if you are experiencing blurred vision, this might be due to optic neuritis, and lesions on your optic nerves are not always visible on a regular MRI. You might need a VEP (Visual evoked potential) to see tiny ones. I was also told that not all MRI equipment picks up small lesions, so you should make sure you are going to a hospital to have this done (not one of those MRI places). Your symptoms do sound like MS, but you never know with neurological things.. maybe see another neurologist? Good luck!
|

replied May 9th, 2011
and definitely get the MRI with contrast.. its the only way for the doctor to see if the lesions are "active"
|

replied May 9th, 2011
Thanks.... I was kinda annoyed because the DR came in the room and said "your MRI was negative you don't have MS" So I asked him is it possible that it doesn't show up right away and he seemed like nothing was wrong with me and that I should see my PMD.
|

replied August 27th, 2012
i had this with a Neurologist who said because of a /='pattern' and Negative Brain Mri i do not have MS.
Alll my symptoms and the progression of how i been ovr 2yrs and 3months has got me too tired to even want to drive the girls to work.
I am self - employed (was) and became an Employer as no results at time i did not want to give up!! But its becoming more and more of struggle!! Lyrica gives me some form of life but with out it i feel nothing its all about throbbing, burning, stinging nerves neck shoulder muscle spasms, feet hurt to walk on i am 43 and petite slim and was extremely ACTIVE now i feeel more like acouch potatot.. I have Nurse Acquatance and her mum died of MS this is many years ago now, but since i told her she believes i have MS too and her best friends have MS so she sees it all the time!! but the Neurologist says NO and guess the Dr's cannot go against this can they???? ohhh so fed up but keeping strong! I have 101 symptoms balance, thinking (getting worse) memeory
|