Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Muscular and Nerve Disorders Forum

Moving fingers or hands independently

Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
If I move any part of my right arm, wrist, fingers, shoulder, the same muscle on my left arm moves. If I try and stop one hand while moving the other, they both want to stop and move at the same time which causes cramping. I've had this as long as I can remember. I first realized it when I was trying to color and my hand holding the paper down was moving the paper back and forth when I moved the crayon with the other hand. I'm 26 now and I don't believe there is anything I can do ot stop it, but I would at least like to know what it is called so I can research it.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile belgen
|

replied March 2nd, 2009
I have the same problem and just wondering what is wrong with me. I am now 24 and have had this my whole life. My hands cramp as well when the other is trying to grab or pick something up.
|

replied March 9th, 2009
Me three...
Hi, I have had the same thing my entire life and don't even think I would want it to go away; as I am now so accustomed to it being this way. I would love to know what causes it though. Mine is just with my fingers... if I move my fingers on one hand, the fingers on the other hand move as well.
|

User Profile
replied July 11th, 2009
Re: Me three...
simply_jennifer wrote:
Hi, I have had the same thing my entire life and don't even think I would want it to go away; as I am now so accustomed to it being this way. I would love to know what causes it though. Mine is just with my fingers... if I move my fingers on one hand, the fingers on the other hand move as well.

I suffer this disease/anomaly whatever it is too!! if I move a finger, the same finger on the other hand moves too! if I hold something strongly with my hand, then the other hand acts the same (it looks pretty stupid in front of other people)!!
I think our nerves are malfunctioning Sad it doesn't happen on my foot fingers.
Our situation is very rare and I don't think it is something that can be healed. All of my life I wanted to play guitar, I can play some but when it comes to difficult chords my fingers goes wild!!
|

User Profile
replied July 11th, 2009
ok after heavy googling I found out that our problem is called "Congenital Mirror Syndrome"
http://www.bangor.ac.uk/~pss412/res_bimani nterf.htm
a surgery of removing fibers? may help in some cases. I ll keep you updated if I find something new.
|
Users who thank belgen for this post: Mephisto 

User Profile
replied July 11th, 2009
I created a group for us, for the ones suffering Congenital Mirror Syndrome.
The title of the group is Congenital Mirror Syndrome
|

replied February 12th, 2010
My hands do the same thing.It's been that way for as long as i can remember. I'm nineteen and i tried to learn to play the guitar also about two years ago but i could never learn to do the bar chords because of my problem. Every time my girlfriend introduces me to someone new she always tries to make me ball up a piece of paper with one hand in front of them so that they can laugh at me lol. It's nice to know what it's called
|

replied September 13th, 2010
I have that too. Yeah, it's really annoying. I'm playing piano for 9 years, and guitar for 4 years (I'm 20 now), and I still can't reach a decent level of playing. It also affects my writing, since I hold the pen pretty tight, so I'm pretty slow. Hell, this also makes my job difficult (I'm a medic).
|

replied October 4th, 2010
Hands both moving at same time....
I have the same thing. Thanks Belgen for the diagnosis. I would loved to have a support site for this. It is very frustrating. I am 48 years old and have had it all my life. Sorry to tell you guys this, but it is hereditary. My mom had it slightly, but my son has it really bad. He has learnt to deal with pretty well. He is 23 now, but gets frustrated just like we all do. Hands and wrists get very painful somedays.
|

replied October 14th, 2010
I am currently 18 and i got used to the feeling, but i did have so many class mates in junior high and high school always ask me what was wrong with my hands, everyone else would move there hands and tell me they have control in there hands. I breakdance though and times to where my hands follow at times but i try managing. I draw and my hand constantly moves my paper to.
|

replied April 7th, 2012
My boyfriend has this. I have been trying to find a cause, a name, just something for 3 years. So glad I have found others with this condition. I have always just called it "connectedness."
|

replied May 22nd, 2012
CURE to Finger pain after sleeping
http://www.ehow.com/how_5199086_relieve-fi ngers-left-hand-right.html

Visit this site to CURE the finger pain in the morning, I am doing this rehab exercise and taking high doses of Vitamin B Complex and i am getting less pain in the mornings. For all those people getting that Ring finger pain copy the URL above and treat yourself. My Doctor had NO IDEA what the cause was, but this is working as a CURE.
Thanks Rick
|
This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!