Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Mouth sore

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
There's an elongated, painless white patch on the right side of my tongue. It scrapes off with a bit of effort but then comes back the next day. What I scrape off pretty much looks like dead skin that would come off any part of your body. It's been on and off for a few weeks now and I did go to the dentist, who offered no advice other than a nonchalant "I can have a surgeon look at it to make sure it's nothing serious." Not sure if he was being a jerk or just doesn't think it's serious. I've googled this a million times and nothing seems to match my symptoms. I'm just hoping it's not cancer or something underlying. I've been worrying myself sick about it and the dentist said I could call back if I want to schedule an appt with the surgeon to biopsy it or whatever. The dental assistant said it's probably just stress induced since I work 2 jobs at the moment and don't get much sleep. Could this really be the case? Does anyone know what might cause this? One of my jobs is an internship I'm doing until classes start Aug. 17. I'm thinking of waiting til I'm done with that to see if it goes away as I will be under less stress by then. But if it is something serious, I don't want to leave it that long. I do not smoke, but I do drink alcohol a couple times a week. There are no other abnormalities in my mouth. I suspected thrush at one time but it doesn't quite match the symptoms of thrush. I've read thrush appears as many white or red spots and when you scrape them off they become irritated and possibly bleed. When I scrape this off, it's just my usual tongue color underneath. Other things I've considered it might be are: irritation from certain foods (I can't link it to any food or drink in particular, but I do drink an unhealthy amount of coffee), general dryness (I'm a mouth breather, esp when sleeping, and I often wake up with my mouth feeling dry), or like the dental assistant said, stress. Any clue what's wrong with me? Is that trip to the surgeon in order?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 13th, 2017
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. It looks like aphthous ulcer. Treatment is supportive and symptomatic. Salt water gargles, topical anaesthetic gels, garlic water mouth rinses and symptomatic treatment with some short terms corticosteroids and pain relief gel will help. Good oral hygiene maintenance is the mainstay.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Dental Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.