Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Motion Sickness

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
For as long as I can remember I have had what I can only describe as the worst motion sickness, when I was a little girl I would tell my parents that cleaning my room made me sick - because every time I would bend down and get up or be up and down cleaning the floor I would get nauseous. This followed me into adulthood, my first job in retail I would dread working the shop floor because it meant bending up and down to pick up clothes and feeling hot, dizzy, nauseous. I also get the world'a worst travel sickness, even on very short journeys, if I so much as look down at my phone for a nanosecond, or a backseat passenger asks me something and I turn around - instantly I feel nauseous enough that I could be sick any second. Lastly, when I have stand on the spot for longer than 10 minutes or so, I get so extremely hot and dizzy that I could faint any second, if I can't get a seat on the train to work and I have to stand on the spot, sometimes it gets so bad I have to warn the people I'm near that I don't feel good. The minute I sit down I start to recover and normality returns, also freezing cold air can help me get through the sick feeling. Like I say I've had this all my life and I have no explanation for it, but it's starting to affect everything I do, I can't even hoover my house without dreading the feeling. I started to notice it when I was around 8 or 9 and I started having to do chores like cleaning my room etc, and now I am 26. Can anybody shed light on this for me? I'd be eternally grateful for any insight.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 15th, 2017
Welcome to e health forum.

Your symptoms are indicative of possible Benign Positional Vertigo.

Benign positional vertigo (BPV) is the most common cause of vertigo. It causes a sudden sensation of spinning. It can also make you feel like your head is spinning from the inside.

BPV is the result of a disturbance inside your inner ear. Fluid inside tubes in your ear, called semicircular canals, moves when your position changes. The semicircular canals are extremely sensitive.

The symptoms if very severe can be improved with medications like Meclizine and other prescription medications.

BPV is uncomfortable but manageable, and it usually improves with time. But BPV can occur again after successful treatment, and it may return without warning. There’s no cure for BPV.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.