Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Relationships Forum

Mother in Law is Bipolar

Must Read
Learn the basics about mental disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a mental health condition. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for mental conditions....
I have been married for about 2 months but my husband and I have been together for over 4 years. We are expecting our first child in June. My mother in law has severe bipolar disorder infact I think she is the mixed mania phase as we speak. It is causing a huge strain on my husband and mine relationship. She is doing everything she can to break us up right now because she "needs him more right now than I do". About a year and a half ago my husband stopped talking to his mother because she became violent and aggressive. She broke a coffee cup over his head and beat him up pretty bad. We tried to commit her since she kept sending texts that said I am just going to kill myself etc. It has been a real struggle and I dont know exactly how to handle it. My husband thinks I am heartless because I wont play her games and I wont accept her until she seeks some kind of help. She claims to not need help at all. They recently started talking when we found out we were pregnant. She has had about 3 episodes recently and seems to be getting worse. I dont know what to do and I feel that sooner or later we are going break up over this. I need advice
Did you find this post helpful?
|