Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Herpes and Genital Warts Forum

more like canker sores and not genital herpes?

Must Read
Can you tell the difference between a canker sore and a cold sore. Start here for basic info about types of canker sores and their characteristics....
Canker sores a triggered by a number of medical conditions and reactions. Learn what triggers a cnaker sore and how you can avoid canker sores in the future....
Can you identify the main characteristics of a canker sore? Start here and learn when you should seek help for a canker sore that won't heal....
User Profile
The doctor said I had herpes without even looking at me. So I immediately didn't believe him and then he took at culture swab. But the only person I could have gotten this from results came back negative. And I have been researching herpes and my sores do not look anything like herpes. Could I have canker sores and a yeast infection or something like that? Because my sores look a whole lot more like canker sores and not genital herpes.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 11th, 2011
Herpes and Genital Warts Answer A25921
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

It is very difficult to know the exact cause of the ulcers without a physical examination.

For your information, here is some information about herpetic ulcers, canker sores, and Candidal infection.

Herpetic ulcers are usually multiple and typically appear as one or more blisters on or around the genitals or rectum. The blisters break, leaving tender ulcers (sores) that may take two to four weeks to heal the first time they occur. Typically, another outbreak can appear weeks or months after the first, but it almost always is less severe and shorter than the first outbreak. Although the infection can stay in the body indefinitely, the number of outbreaks tends to decrease over a period of years.

A canker sore is a painful, open sore in the mouth. Canker sores are white or yellow and surrounded by a bright red area. They are not usually seen in the genital areas.

Candida infection does not present as multiple ulcers and they are usually not painful. The usual presentation is with vaginal itching and a whitish discharge.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Herpes and Genital Warts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.